Toning shoes

Options
JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
So I'm curious, are these worth the money? If you own a pair do you really like them or not? Would you buy them again if given the chance? What do you like about them and what brand do you have?

Thanks!

Replies

• MannAmanda
    Options
    I tried some one and walked around the store a bit. They felt weird. I didn't like them so I didn't spend the money. But that's just me. Maybe you will like them.
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Sculpt and Tone Fila's and I LOVE THEM. I also boiught a pair of the Reebox's version too. They are awesome and I really feel a difference when I work out! Totally worth it! I also went to rack room shoes and got mine on sale.
    I would't get the sketchers brand because they look totally weird and are shaped like a cradle. Weird. I also didn't like the way they fit and feel. The reebox look like a real running shoe and you cant tell that they tone you.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Reebok Runtones today! So far, so good! I am not a fan of the clunky looking toning shoes, but these look pretty sharp! I have been wearing them around the house, and I dont notice anything awkward about them. I spoke to the sales guy at ****s Sporting goods and he said these are better for walkers and runners than the regular Rebok Toning sneaker (I forgot the name of it) because some people have reported Ankle Rolls while running and power walking in them. I went with these because they dont have the ball thingy right in the middle of the foot.
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think they're a waste of money......maybe they work for some people because now they are walking, just because they have the shoes?

They think of new stuff just to get you to spend money.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I wear vibram five fingers. They are the closest thing to walking around in bare feet so give the ultimate result.

Takes a little while to get used to them, but they become second nature. BRILLIANT for working out in the gym, walking and supposed to be great rockclimbing and boating, but I havent tried that yet!
  • missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have Sketchers toning shoes. I love them! I walk kids to and from school and I can actually feel it in my legs and butt after I get home. I wouldn't rely on them as the only exercise to do but I think they are interesting enough to have bought them.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I have the Skecher's Shape-Ups and I really like them. They're very comfortable! I don't know that they tone all the parts of my legs and bum, but I definitely feel it in my calves! I want to get the sandal version for this summer!
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    And to me, even if it only works a little bit, it is worth the money!!!! I am so excited to be getting into shape!!
  • violynist
    violynist Posts: 61
    Options
    My Sketchers Shape-ups definitely worked on my butt. 100% no question. I only had a butt like that before when I was doing squats at the gym. The first time I wore them for a long time my legs were super sore, so I know they worked.

I wouldn't say they work for weight loss, and they are unstable.

But if you want more butt muscles, go with them.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have some sketcher shape ups,I wouldnt but them thinking the are going to tone everything up they dont.I bought them because I was working at wal mart at the time on my feet for 8 hours.I can say they really helped with me foot an leg pain.So to me they were worth it.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have read he reviews on them, I was planning on getting a pair, and now I won't waste my money on them. They keep you off balance with the air pockets in the bottom. Those air pockets are designed to last about 6-9 months. Someone said they actually called the company (sketchers I believe) and the rep told them they only last that long. Many people have said their air pockets deflate or break within the first 6 months, more at about 9 months. I would say if they go on a great sale and you still want to try them, get them. But don't pay the money they are asking at full price.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a pair I bought at Payless Shoes for $25 and while I am not sure if they work... I have toned up my thighs and *kitten*. I no longer have "thunder thighs" as much as I used to, my *kitten* doesn't create a little shelf, and my calves feel toner.

It's your choice on whether YOU think it's worth it. Personally, I say if you can find the right pair, for the right price, every little bit helps LOL.

Good luck to ya. :bigsmile:
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I wear Avia I-Tones...They are the equivalent to Sketchers Shape-Ups but I paid less for them and I absolutely love them to death...even over my cross-trainers and although I have walking sneakers..I wear my I-Tones nearly all of the time...I can feel them working while I walk and when I first got them I was actually sore for a couple days...They are wonderful at toning the calves, shins, and buttocks...I swear by them.

I have some expensive trainers and yet I only paid $20.00 for these at Ross and I love them far more than the others.

Hope this helps.
  • cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the reebok runtones and love them...I didn't necessarily get them for the toning aspect, but I had been having more and more pain in the balls of my feet and wanted more cushion. They are great! I don't use them much for running (I have a different pair I've designated for outside), but are great in step class and weight lifting classes. I noticed a little more soreness around my calves and shins the first couple workouts, but I don't notice it anymore. I have a couple friends who have the reebok easy tones with a larger round cushion on the ball of the foot and they don't like them as much---they have to be really careful not to roll their ankles, esp. doing lunges and side to side aerobic work.457035.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    I have read he reviews on them, I was planning on getting a pair, and now I won't waste my money on them. They keep you off balance with the air pockets in the bottom. Those air pockets are designed to last about 6-9 months. Someone said they actually called the company (sketchers I believe) and the rep told them they only last that long. Many people have said their air pockets deflate or break within the first 6 months, more at about 9 months. I would say if they go on a great sale and you still want to try them, get them. But don't pay the money they are asking at full price.

The thing of it is, running shoes are only good for about 500 miles. SO, If you are exercising by running, walking, etc, you will wear them out a lot sooner than 6-9 months. When I used to run and walk a lot years back shoes lasted me a average of 4-6 months...
  • goatstew
    goatstew Posts: 50
    Options
    I bought the Sketcher's Shape-Ups at Costco for a good price. They have a range of toning shoes, the most intense ones are pretty weird looking, but the ones I got are extended fitness, designed for all day, all around wear. So I don't feel self conscious wearing them to the store, or around town. In fact, they're kind of cute for tennis shoes. I like them. I think every little bit you do to help you get healthy counts, so owning a pair of fitness shoes may not be the solution to all of your problems, but it is a step in the right direction. NO pun intended.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I got the Reebok Runtones and while I don't think they have changed or toned anything. they are easily the most comfortable sneakers I've ever owned.

And you can get them at Marshall's for $50, which is a lot cheaper than they usually are at other stores.
  • jforddesign
    jforddesign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had a friend try them and he ended up gaining weight...the stupid things were so uncomfortable that he just sat on the couch.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I read a study somewhere that said those types of shoes aren't any more effective than a "regular" pair of shoes. If you're working out regularly, I can't imagine how air-filled shoes would help (in comparison to a proper strength routine with squats, lunges, weights, etc). I think you'd only "feel" a workout in these shoes if your muscles are very weak/out of shape to begin with. If I find the study, I'll post it :smile:
  • klmeenan
    klmeenan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought mine due to knee and back pain. They take time to get used to and you can't use them for a regular work out. I mainly feel the difference when walking on inclines. Totally worth the money to me as I can now walk often due to the cushioning.