whats the best tasting protein powder?

gooberr4
gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
So I definitely don't think I'm getting enough protein after my workouts. I'm looking for a low calorie protein powder that also tastes good.

What's your favorite?

Replies

• corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey - lots of flavors but my current one is cookies & cream
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Pure protein is really good. I love the vanilla flavor. I add skim milk, half a banana, and some berries to it.... yummo!!
  • TennisLoveGirl
    TennisLoveGirl Posts: 30 Member
    What's the typical serving size (8 oz?) and what is the calories for that?
  • I love the HMR Vanilla shake. I add one banana and fresh strawberries and it is so yummy. I also like it with diet orange pop....it tastes just like a creamsicle.
    They also have chocolate but I don't care for that one. You have a lot of options with the vanilla that you don't have with the chocolate.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    My favorite is Myofusion from Gapari. Both chocolate and strawberry. I also like Sytntrax Nectar and Matrix 5.0
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    I like Syntha-6 either Vanilla or Cookies and Cream.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    thank you for this!!!! i have tried a cuple and never liked any of them.:glasses:
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    I love store brand whey and soy protein. I get mine from Kroger or Meijer. It is made by the protein people.

http://www.theproteinpeople.com/about/default.aspx
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    I like Syntha-6 Chocolate Peanut Butter and Jay Robb's Vanilla (egg white) protein. Both of these can be mixed with water and crushed ice and be tasty w/o adding additional ingredients, but I LOVE adding a banana to them as a thickener and flavor boost!

JMO, but my trainer advised steering clear of the ones sold @ Walmart if you're trying to avoid bloat. Alot of them have unneccessary fillers in them, according to her. (Not trying to cause a ruckus, just stating what she told me)

Here's some stats from my current powder (the Jay Robb)...I have the egg white protein version, but it is also available in 100% whey. No artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.

Ingredients: Egg albumin, xylitol, natural flavor, xanthan gum, lecithin, stevia. One scoop/serving has 120 calories, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol and has 24 grams of protein. Sodium is 380 mg.

Hope that helps!
  • RocknnRobin
    RocknnRobin Posts: 20 Member
    Dymatize ISO 100 is my favorite.
    Only 130 calories and 24g protein per shake.

Little expensive but it's worth it IMO—since it blends super creamy with nothing but water, and all the flavors are awesome; comes in berry, chocolate, vanilla, pina colada and smooth banana. I love to add ground flax seed and greek yogurt in mine—and all together its still just a little over 200 calories. :heart:
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Dymatize ISO 100 is my favorite.
    Only 130 calories and 24g protein per shake.

Little expensive but it's worth it IMO—since it blends super creamy with nothing but water, and all the flavors are awesome; comes in berry, chocolate, vanilla, pina colada and smooth banana. I love to add ground flax seed and greek yogurt in mine—and all together its still just a little over 200 calories. :heart:

I tried the cheapest one from walmart and did not lose quickly on it. I did a little reasearch and found out that some the the cheap whey shakes do cause bloating.

I usually lose pretty steadily when I stay with the whey and soy combination from stores.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey - lots of flavors but my current one is cookies & cream

I totally agree.. My favorite happens to be strawberry and then I add a whole banana into the blender with it..

Recipe as follows:

1 banana
    1 or 2 scoops of Strawberry Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey protein
    1 cup of Silk Almond Milk
    1 cup of water
    5-6 ice cubes

Makes 24 ounces roughly and with 2 scoops of protein has 385 calories. With one scoop it is 245 calories.

The powder by itself is only 110 calories, 2 grams of carbs, and 24 grams of protein in one scoop!

Hope this helps!

Matt
  • gooberr4
    Thanks everyone! these all sound like great options. I also love the idea of blending in a banana or something. is 200-300 calories a good "after workout" meal? I guess I'm going to have to adjust the rest of my day so I don't go over.
  • twinwolf
    Thanks everyone! these all sound like great options. I also love the idea of blending in a banana or something. is 200-300 calories a good "after workout" meal? I guess I'm going to have to adjust the rest of my day so I don't go over.

A lot of people use it as their first meal of the day after a workout. Wake up, grab a water and start exercise. When finished make the shake. Then shower, dress, and get on with your day. The amount of protein is great for muscle recovery and the calories makes it big enough to be your first meal of the day. I'm a 268 lb male and that has been my first meal of the day for a week or more. Gives me 3 hours before I am ready for my next meal. Now in my case, I eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours to keep the fire burning. I try to get 300+ every meal for calories. You may need 3-4, 300 calorie meals for your day to stay close to what you need.

Hope this is a help!

Matt
  • gooberr4

A lot of people use it as their first meal of the day after a workout. Wake up, grab a water and start exercise. When finished make the shake. Then shower, dress, and get on with your day. The amount of protein is great for muscle recovery and the calories makes it big enough to be your first meal of the day. I'm a 268 lb male and that has been my first meal of the day for a week or more. Gives me 3 hours before I am ready for my next meal. Now in my case, I eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours to keep the fire burning. I try to get 300+ every meal for calories. You may need 3-4, 300 calorie meals for your day to stay close to what you need.

Hope this is a help!

Matt

Yea i was thinking that....i think i can make that work. Do you eat anything before? like a carb for energy?

also...has anyone tried Nature's Best perfect zero carb ISOPURE? the vanilla has 200 cals and 50 grams of protein and no carbs or fat....wonder how it tastes
  • twinwolf

Hope this is a help!

Matt

Yea i was thinking that....i think i can make that work. Do you eat anything before? like a carb for energy?

also...has anyone tried Nature's Best perfect zero carb ISOPURE? the vanilla has 200 cals and 50 grams of protein and no carbs or fat....wonder how it tastes

Nope, nothing. I take a swig of water before I start jogging to whet the mouth and then drink it slowly as my 30 minutes of exercise progresses. I usually don't even get done with 8 ounces of water before the end of the 30 minutes. As far as the shake I make it and drink it immediately after. You must get your muscles the protein they need for recovery within 30 minutes of exercise. It speeds the recovery and you don't feel burnt out that way.

The theory, (not mine, I read it in the book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto) is that you burn more fat on an empty stomach. The body is forced to look for fuel elsewhere as there is nothing in the tank. Hence it burns stored fat to fuel your energy demand. You eat shortly after the workout (your shake) so the body doesn't continue this process and eventually go into starvation mode.
  • twinwolf
    Oh, and I meant to say about the Isopure.. Ask your local GNC associate what they think of Isopure. Most of the people that work there use some or all of the product so they will be able to tell you what tastes good. Just beware that they aren't promoting one brand too much... Typically winds up being because they were told to or it's their favorite brand...
  • gooberr4
    AWESOME! thanks. I was doing my research on GNC...i'm gonna stop there on friday so I'll ask someone.

i am ALSO reading burn the fat, feed the muscle. I haven't gotten to that part yet ;)

i used to exercise on an empty stomach but I feel better if I have something in there. I think it might be because I'm exercising way more. I also drink a whole bottle of water during my workout.

thanks for all the advice!
  • twinwolf
    Anytime! Good luck on your journey!
  • From previous poster:
    The theory, (not mine, I read it in the book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto) is that you burn more fat on an empty stomach. The body is forced to look for fuel elsewhere as there is nothing in the tank. Hence it burns stored fat to fuel your energy demand. You eat shortly after the workout (your shake) so the body doesn't continue this process and eventually go into starvation mode.
    [/quote]

I have read articles about this too. I try to get my workout done first thing in the morning when I first wake up...at least 30 minutes after waking...seems to work for me.

About protein drinks that taste decent? I like "Turbo Chocolate Platinum Hydro Whey" by GNC...it's very yummy if you LOVE chocolate. Another great tasting drink is "High 5" by Max Muscles...although I have only tried Chocolate and Vanilla. They are pricey but seem to last awhile. Another perk is that both of these drinks are only 1-2 carbs per scoop and 118-140 calories if mixed with water. Good luck on your search.
This discussion has been closed.