Fat free ranch...

Options

Replies

• NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I use greek yogart with the powdered Hidden Valley ranch mix and add a little milk to thin it out. Very tasty and SUPER low in calories!

wow, i was just about to suggest the very same thing! :) ..... And i like to use a spoon of ranch plus a spoon of salsa so there is plenty of that "dressing feel" but not tons and tons of ranch

greek yogurt + dry Hidden Valley Ranch mix + a splash of milk :heart:

and you can mix up a single portion at a time if you want :)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I don't like the fat free AT ALL, but I do like Hidden Valley Light Ranch.

Agree with using the "light" version, that's all I use now and I can't tell teh difference! I can't stand the way the Fat Free tastes either.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Here's trick... you can take low fat or regular ranch and dilute it with fat free milk. Covers most of the salad with the ranch flavor without the full ranch fat punch.

This! Or mix with fat free plain yogurt if you need the creamy.

And as an added bonus, you're not getting all of the sugar that's added to fat free dressings to "help" with flavor.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I like the Great Value Light Ranch (Wal-Mart) and the Southern Home Light Ranch (bi-lo)...They are pretty creamy and WAY less calories...
  • Court2180
    Court2180 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's one thing I WILL NOT cave on. The FF Ranch's I've had have been gross! I just stick with light or FF vinegrettes but if I go out to eat & get a salad I'll splurge and get the full on stuff. But I use that as my "cheat" meal.
  • lprewett86
    lprewett86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I aways get FF Hidden Valley and I am NOT a fan! LOL I just do it to stay low on cals and fat. I'm loving these new ideas though!
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    I buy great value brand from Wal-Mart, buttermilk ranch light. It's half the calories of regular ranch, and honestly, I can't tell that much of a difference in taste. Only a tiny bit, but it's not nasty at all, it's quite good. :)

We use this and really like it!!
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here! Thanks!
  • lauraandmonsters
    lauraandmonsters Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farm yogurt ranch. It taste like the real thing! Sooooo good:)
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I agree, Bolthouse Farms yogurt ranch is awesome! It has about half the calories of regular ranch but tastes just as good. And I find that I don't have to put very much on, either. They have some other varieties too but I haven't tried them.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ranch dressing and allow myself to have it every once in a while as a treat. Light ranches can still be good, but fat free....(gag me with a spoon!). Normally, I use Fat Free Italian which is 15 calories per 2 T. The sodium content is so high though that I have gotten used to only using 1 T even on a very large salad.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse yogart ranch.......fat free...ickkkkkk, this ranch has no funky taste to it and is only 60cal's for 2tbsp.:bigsmile:
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know you said you dont like eating just a salad with no dressing but it is by far the best thing to do. Salads really dont have anykind of nutritional value other then it will fill you up.
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    whoa! Thanks for all those different recipes!!! I am going to definitely try them ALL!! Then I won't get tired of one flavor. I was also having a hard time finding a "healthy but good" salad dressing! They all sound great!:happy: Cheers!:drinker:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Here's trick... you can take low fat or regular ranch and dilute it with fat free milk. Covers most of the salad with the ranch flavor without the full ranch fat punch.

I do this, too. It also drizzles over your salad easier, so you use less because you aren't getting big globs of dressing. Give it a try!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I know you said you dont like eating just a salad with no dressing but it is by far the best thing to do. Salads really dont have anykind of nutritional value other then it will fill you up.

I have to disagree. Salads can have great nutritional value, depending on what vegetables and other items you include. Furthermore, the fat from the dressing helps to absorb those nutrients.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Here is a ranch dressing I want to try.

http://www.bethenny.com/2010/06/06/healthy-ranch-dressing/
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Not ranch dressing but one of my favs - 2 tbsp hummus and a bit of water to make it dressing consistency. Yum!
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Makes about 125ml (4fl oz). Can be kept in the fridge for a few days.

2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
    2.5cm (1in) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
    1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
    1½ tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
    1 tablespoon water
    100ml (3½fl oz) vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons light soy sauce

So basically all u do is combine the ingredients in an old jar and shake the hell out of it...

Its sounds like a load of ingreedients but you can get them at most supermarkets easily

Honestly guys you will not be disapointed with this recipie, it really kicks *kitten*!

Macros other than the Fat are not really worth counting unless ur really picky...

Fat per 12.5ml = 10g aprox
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    I DONT do lite or fat free ranch, or most anything else. (milk, butter etc ) I use less of the full fat version

a serving of hidden vallley is 2 tblsp, so i use 1. I just had 2 cups of salad & it was plenty. the difference is we're used to drowing stuff in it.

i dont like 2% milk so if i feel like some milk i drink whole, i just drink half the amount i used to

I want to stick with this so, for me at least, it means not depriving myself of enjoying the things I like, and forcing myself to eat things I dont.

no to mention what my mom used to say "you need a little grease to keep the wheels moving" lol