So discouraged

Options

Replies

• kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wait till you get to 160 before you decide if that's the right weight for you. I'm 5'9 and my goal is 140-ish. Whatever your end goal weight, you've got to be able to maintain it, and it's got to work for you and your lifestyle. Wait and see, but don't get discouraged in the meantime.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    First question.... how long has he been a personal trainer? Men notoriously are clueless about what women actually weigh. Someone new to training could really simply just not have a clue what someone your height should weigh.
    Having said that... often I think doctors, nurses, and trainers go by the charts... and they simply don't apply for everyone. We all have different builds.

FInd the weight that you feel comfortable at - make sure that you are living a healthy lifestyle and tell him to kiss your nicely toned, muscular rump!
  • pinupprosaic
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and my goal weight is about 165 which is most definitely in the normal BMI range. Admittedly it's a little further towards the overweight category but the point is whether you're happy with your body. Besides, muscle weighs more than fat so it would be better to be 160 and toned than 140.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    wtf that's dumb
  • annapaps
    annapaps Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think in your pictures you look great and I also never would have guessed your weight is what it is. You want to be healthy, first and foremost, and setting a realistic, reachable goal is exactly what you did when you said 160. Maybe if you reach that weight you'll want to lose even more. It just seem his 140 comment was ignorant, did he even set any plans or offer advice on how to reach it? Don't let it get you down, he probably thought he was helping and didn't realize he was being insensitive. One day at a time :)
  • demetert
    demetert Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok, so he thinks you should be 140. I think he is crazy, I used to work out every day for long periods of time and I was skinny. My favorite attire was a bandana for a belt. I am 5'7 and i weighed 130. If you are 3 inches taller then me, you could weigh 160 and look great. Don't let one person make you feel bad about yourself. Be proud that you are losing weight and more proud that your in the gym getting healthy.
  • allornothinggrl
    Options
    my goal weight is 160, and I am 5' 8"...I have been down to 150, but my body is comfortable at 160...You are TALL, go with what YOU know!
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I am only 5'9" and I weighed 140 when I was a bony armed high school girl, playing volleyball and doing farm chores every day - lol - I think your goals are just fine :)
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Man, what a loser, do what's right for you. Be proud of all the great choices you have made to be a slimmer healthier you. Keep us posted, we're rooting for ya!!!!!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Leave it to a man to tell a woman what she should weigh....

LOL, that is too true!

But I also agree with the previous poster who said that the BMI calculations don't work for everyone. I think I'm always going to be right at the top of my "healthy" range or above, because I've always had a large chest, and it doesn't take that into account.
    Sounds like 160 for 5'10/11 should be a good goal to have, though. I'm 5'6 and the top of my range is 150 or 155 (I forget).

Either way, live life for you. Be happy with your decisions, and don't let some *man* get in the way of what you want! =)
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Seriously, 184lbs? :o I'm 127, and I wish I looked as fit as you do.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i'm 5'10" -- ok, more like 5'9 3/4" -- and my goal is 155 so i think your 160 sounds perfect to me! For a while i had my goal set to 140 but then i realized that would be too thin for me, especially since i am trying to become more athletic, not just "skinny". I agree with the others who've said to get to 160 and see how that feels to you. You may decide to go up or down a bit from there but this trainer was just making crazy shot-in-the-dark statements. Ulgh.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    (oops, double post!)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No, no, no! I'm 5'9" medium build, and my goal is 145, so 140 for you at two inches taller sounds WAY off. Don't let your friend discourage you!!! Instead, continue working towards your goal, and when you get there, YOU should decide if you've "made it" or if you need to go further. Congratulate yourself on how far you've come!
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    Leave it to a man to tell a woman what she should weigh....

Trust your body to tell you when enough is enough!

Totally agreed! Just ignore him....
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    FInd the weight that you feel comfortable at - make sure that you are living a healthy lifestyle and tell him to kiss your nicely toned, muscular rump!
    [/quote]

Yeah!! Well said!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't go that low. I am aiming for 165 or at the lowest 154 I'm 5'11. You go as low as you feel comfortable.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That guy shouldn't be a PT. At your height, 160 would be perfect.
  • danyotennis
    Options
    I`m no expert on weight but unless you want to be a supermodel (and borderline anorexic), you don`t need to go that far down. I`m 5`7`` and have been on the thin side most of my life (I`m now 54 and I`m dieting for the first time in my life to lose the extra 10-12 pounds that have suddenly appeared with the big 50). As an ex volley-ball player I have been around tall girls a lot and I can tell you 144 is definitely on the very thin side. So take it slowly and ignore this guy. As you near 165-160, YOU WILL KNOW if you`re confortable or not with that weight.

good luck and trust yourself

Danielle
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    you look great,I wouldnt worry about what he said.