Tea and coffee

Options

Replies

• Cherls123
    Options
    I was stunned at how many calories my milky tea was costing me. At eight cups a day it was a killer. I now intersperse with green tea flavoured with citrus or cranberry at 1 calorie per cup.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    I used to add creamer to my coffee and switched to just drinking it black. It takes a little while to get used to, but it is mainly the caffeine I crave from it.
  • laurel56
    laurel56 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh man, I agree, I could never cut out coffee and tea, ESPECIALLY when trying to lose weight. But I've trained myself to take tea without milk/sugar, and coffee with very little, and only a couple times a week, so 200 cals/day has turned into ~100/WEEK! Here's how I did it:

Transition coffee -> tea: Go down to one cup of coffee in the morning, the rest replace with English breakfast, Irish breakfast, or English afternoon teas. You should do this because most people end up putting more milk and sugar in coffee than they do in tea.
    Gradually start to have days where you don't have any coffee, and only have tea. Celestial Seasonings, which I usually hate, actually has a really good herbal tea that tastes like coffee when you just put a bit of milk in it. It sort of has natural flavors I associate with sweetness, like cinnamon and allspice, but 0 calories and I don't even need to put sugar in it.

Transition to less milk and sugar: This is easier for tea-- try flavored teas. A lot of them don't need milk and sugar at all, and in fact I prefer them without now! A classic example is Earl Grey, which can be dressed up with a little slice of lemon. I also love the Bigelow tea flavors, like Constant Comment, Plantation Mint, and Cinnamon Stick, and the Twinings and Whittard of Chelsea flavors with all the crazy British fruits. Mix it up, too, try green teas, herbal teas, and rooibos, and try lots of brands. Definitely try NEW flavors, and try a few sips without any milk or sugar first. If you start by taking the milk and sugar out of flavors you're used to, it will taste like something's missing. Wean yourself off them with new flavors, and then you can go back to your favorites with less and less milk and sugar.

Good luck! You can totally do it and not sacrifice the beverages you love. Lifestyle changes are what it's all about!
  • Ratgirl35
    Ratgirl35 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my sweet tea.. specifically McDonalds. I have "tried" to cut back on drinking it but I figure a tea every now and then isn't going to make me or break me. It's 280 calories of empty calories, I have learned that if I'm going to drink it to make sure I exercise that day.

I'm Celiac (gluten free) so a tea is the least of my worries. I cant eat very much to begin with! :)
  • guayaquil
    Options
    It's not the coffee and tea killing you - it's the milk and anything else you are adding that is busting your calorie budget. I'd say first cut down on the milk.

Here are a few ideas -

It might pay to buy higher quality teas and coffees that have better taste, so you don't want to mask them with milk. i learned this the hard way. I live in Ecuador and you'd expect that in a coffee-producing country they'd have great coffee. Wrong! They export all the good stuff so what is left is poor quality and you have to pay a fortune for good stuff. I'd end up buying the cheap local stuff and did as the locals do - drink it with lots of milk. One reason I blew up to 295 pounds. Now everytime we go to the states we pick up some good quality coffee which I don't feel a need to add anything to. Experiment, maybe with some herbal teas, to see if you find a hot drink you like without all the calorie bashing add-ons. Just shop wisely, some herbal teas add sugar to their mix so they have an elevated calorie count over normal teas.

One thing my ex-mother-in-law put me on to (bless her) was simply hot water with a lime or lemon slice briefly steeped in.

Drink water. If you are drinking the 8+ cups of water a day you'll feel less like eating anyway and probably will want to drink less coffee and tea and your calorie popping milk additions.

If worst come to worst, you'll have to budget yourself. Out of 1,200 calories how much are you willing to budget for your milk (not coffee or tea) drinking habit? One cup of skim milk? Then budget yourself that much. Measure it out into a container at the start of the day for you to use, then use it until it is gone then no more. better yet, challenge yourself to decrease the amount you use over time.

Good luck!
  • isaiahxoxoender
    Options
    I was a big coffee drinker before I started this whole thing. I always had to have lattes or coffee drowned in creamer!!! I really don't want to deal with extra calories from something like coffee so I now drink my coffee black. I know its awful trust me but its worth it to me. I still get my caffeine high and its an even bigger high now that I don't add sugar or anything to it. I don't know why but it works so much better without all of that stuff. I did indulge in a Nonfat Grande Cinnamon Dolce Latte yesterday and that came in at 210 calories. I guess just try the black coffee lol...if not exercise more?
  • bahrainbel_2
    Options
    I am in the exact same predicament, I usually drink 7-10 cups of tea per day, it stops me snacking. But I can't spare the 200 calories, when I only only have 1200 to play around with. I have gone onto peppermint tea. It's quite nice and no calories :)
  • traceytoo
    traceytoo Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't take sugar in either tea / coffee .. it must be just the milk, even that is skimmed .. but it still says 30 cals for a coffee and I think it's 90 for 6 cups of tea .. but I drink 2 teas and a coffee before I even leave the house in the morning and I leave at 8:20 am ...

I tried green teas, but after a while they start to leave a funny taste at the back of my throat and a kind of stingy feeling, which I don't like ..

think i'll have to try both tea & coffee black, that way they won't cost me anything ..
  • hollyd1986
    hollyd1986 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I drink 3/4 sometimes 5 cups a day, 2 of them with no milk, and I use sweeteners, if I use sweetners and dont add milk per cup is about 3 calories......with milk is about 25
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Wait! Don't overlook the fact that skimmed milk is good food! Protein, calcium, etc. At least you are not messing it all up with tons of sugar!

I say to just actually measure out the milk and count those calories...sounds like the database isn't treating you fairly here??

:flowerforyou:
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Tea is calorie free. Can you drink tea without milk? I usually have mine with just a packet of NuStevia NoCarb blend. The packets are 0 calories.

Coffee is usually with 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk and a 1/4 cup regular milk + 2 NuStevia packets. My coffee comes out to 40 some calories. Feel free to check my diary for today so you can see the calorie count. I normally don't have more than 2 cups of coffee a day.

You have to find a mix that works for you. Substitute your sugar and/or use less milk.
  • Amaris1973
    Amaris1973 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had a sneaky peek at your diary and noticed that most days you are way below 1200 but you are also burning 600-700 calories with excercise and you are not eating those exercise calories. Lot of people here will eat their excersise calories and are still losing weight (including me 28 pounds down in just 8 weeks) and personally I have a nauhty day once a week too.
    I think if you counted your food into your 1200 and forgot about the calories for your cuppas, you would still be losing weight steadily.
    Also you want to make sure you dont go to starvation mode with eating so much below what you burn a day as this will only make your body store fat.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, coffee and tea!!!! But I have gotten used to drinking it black with no sugar ( and no sweetener of any kind), the calories there just werent worth it,,,,when you're ready to give those calories up, you wil, just another hurdle to think about. good luck
  • traceytoo
    Options
    ooohhh Juliapurpletoes, now that's a good un, I really have very little skimmed milk in my tea cos I like it strong AND I have more in my coffee, but could cut it down.

Many thanks all .. I think my best option here, and middle of the road is to have black tea / coffee 0 calories, and allow myself a cup of skimmed milk a day, and when it's gone it's gone .. voila :laugh:

Now how many calories in a cup of skimmed milk or 250 mls .. think that's fair ???
  • JessicaChester
    Options
    I drink around 6 cups of tea a day! I'm surprised so many people put so much garbage in their tea! All you need is lemon or honey- why ruin it with milk and sugar?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Black coffee contains only 2.6 calories per cup. Drink it black or not at all. You're right...you already know the answers.
  • traceytoo
    Options
    Hi Amaris .. have tried the route you are taking and unfortunatley it does not work for all of us - I've tried a couple of months eating back my exercise calories and all I managed to do was maintain my weight and fluctuate between a couple of pounds here and there .. believe me I've tried everything, my body is as stubborn as it comes when losing weight - if I could eat more, exercise more and continue to lose weight I would love to, but for me, it jsut does not work, the only way I seem to lose is to stick to the 1200, very low sat fats and low carbs - plus I've only got 12 pound more to lose so am on the home stretch - it's the hardest bit to get off, my body will not let go of weight if I eat the exercise calories that I burn, sometimes 700 a day - and that's very, very demotivating .. once I get to goal I can be more flexible, start eating exercise cals, bit by bit to see what I can eat before putting on weight.

It's an old argument on here .. ultimately everyone has to do what works for them. but thank you very much for taking the time to look and for your wise words :bigsmile:
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If the skim milk in your tea is the only milk you are getting each day, I would not cut it out. One cup of skim milk is like....80 or 90 calories.
  • elfward
    elfward Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well, on the database it says that a cup of tea with 30ml of semi-skimmed milk (which is loads! I probably only have 10ml) is only 15 calories. So I have no idea why it's saying that coffee with skimmed milk is more...
  • traceytoo
    Options
    Hem, I think the MFP database has a lot to answer for .. gonna stick to 250 mls per day in both tea and coffee, don't think I'll need that much actually - easier to work out, then go black if I use it all :-))