weight lifting first of cardio first?

Options
2»

Replies

• CelticWarrior
    Options
    This was a question I was asking myself few months ago and you be surprised the answers I found..............

If your lifting weights to gain mass, then your gonna wanna do cardio on the days your not weight training and you want to speed walk not run or jog because it breaks down the muscle, for about 45 minutes a session.

Have you ever seen built marathon runners ? running always breaks down your muscle.

If your weight training just to burn fat ,you still would wanna do weight training first because your recovery will be quick and you will still have energy to burn to jog.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    @stephanielynne76 - we are the same height and I want to be where you are (your weight and size is a dream!). Did you use a personal trainer? I really, really want to start lifting more as I need to lose inches and create more definition. How / where does one begin?

Sorry I just saw this... thanks! No I didn't use a personal trainer. My husband taught me all about weight training back when we were dating and I've been doing it ever since. We've been married 10 years now so it was a long time ago. The muscle I have wasn't built during the time I've been on MFP, it's been there for years but just covered in fat. It wasn't until I started counting calories that it was actually visible! If you don't know where to begin I would say a personal trainer is a great place to start. Make sure you are instructed about each exercise thoroughly... know which muscle group you are training and the proper form. I would even suggest looking at a diagram of the muscles of the body so that you can see what it all looks like and get familiar with the terminology (I already had this part down from anatomy class in nursing school). Have them organize it for you into a schedule for you to follow. You may even want to write it all down when you first start so that you can remember. I worked out with my husband for a few years until we got on completely different schedules. I've been on my own now since we had our first kid (he is now 7 years old). Back when I was training with him we took one exercise at a time and did 3 sets of it before moving on to the next. Now I do things differently. I do everything as a circuit. I started this because it saves time (I was now paying nursery fees while working out) and because it burns more calories. I pick out which muscle groups I'm going to work that day and which machines/exercises I'm going to use. I circulate through them one after the other with very little break. If someone is on the machine I want I skip it and return to it after. I lift as heavy as I can manage and still have good form. I don't have a spot so I do end up using a lot of machines verses free weights in order to be safe (a heavy dumb bell to the face wouldn't be good). I hope that helps!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    This was a question I was asking myself few months ago and you be surprised the answers I found..............

If your lifting weights to gain mass, then your gonna wanna do cardio on the days your not weight training and you want to speed walk not run or jog because it breaks down the muscle, for about 45 minutes a session.

Have you ever seen built marathon runners ? running always breaks down your muscle.

If your weight training just to burn fat ,you still would wanna do weight training first because your recovery will be quick and you will still have energy to burn to jog.

I am a marathon runner (am currently training for Boston) but am a heavier runner. I want to lose some weight, but I also feel that strength training is imperative - it helps with speed and stamina. So, I guess the right answer for me is weights first, then jog.

Stephanielynne - thank you for the info. I saw an amazing book with such detailed pictures of each muscle and am going to purchase it. I really think that will help. There are no personal trainers here, but my son is a Human Kinetics major, and used to lift regularly, so am sure he can design something for me. Knowing the muscle groups I want to target is key, and I know that book will help.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Weights first then cardio.

Long answer: You train based on the energy system you are using. There are three energy systems: ATP-CP, Anaerobic Glycolysis, and Aerobic Glycolysis (also known as the Oxidative System or the Krebs Cycle). The ATP-CP system uses creatine phosphate and stored ATP in the muscles for quick bursts of energy, lasting no more then 30 seconds. This is the system that is used for say a 40-yard dash or max lifts. Anaerobic Glycolysis uses glycogen or blood glucose for the fuel and supplies energy for activities lasting up to 3 minutes. Most lifting exercises fall in this catagory. Aerobic Glycolysis uses a combination of glycogen or glucose and fat for fuel for longer cardio activities. Aerobic glycolysis requires a by product of glucose or glycogen breakdown in order to be able to burn the fat. If there isn't enough glycogen usage from either the aerobic or anaerobic systems to provide the pyruvate needed, then the body will have to turn to muscle breakdown to convert the protein into glycogen to be burned and provide that pyruvate so that fat can be burned. This is why people who do a lot of long cardio lose muscle as well as fat. Weight training not only helps prevent the muscle usage by sending neurological signals to the brain that the muscle needs to be saved and strengthened, it also provides that pyruvate from anaerobic glycolysis so that fat burning can occur. Replenishment of the ATP-CP system occurs in about 8 minutes. So, high intensity spurts of activity can be repeated throughout the workout every 8 minutes without loss of power. If they are done closer together then that, you may notice a loss of ability to perform to your max. Glycogen replenishment depends on the intake of carbs after a workout. 0.7 to 3 grams per kilogram of body weight is recommended within 2 hours after exercise. If you are going to do an extra long cardio workout, like a marathon, it is suggested that you replenish glycogen with carb intake during the activity so that you don't have to break down muscle. Protein should be replenished based on what activity you are doing. If you are just weight training, 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight per day of protein ingestion are recommended to help repair and rebuild the muscles from the cellular damage caused by lifting. If you are doing long aerobic exercise, up to 2 grams per kilogram of body weight are recommended so that you can help decrease the loss of muscle from the activity. Replenishment of glycogen and protein will take a little while, so you can't really refill the stores while you are working out, but you can provide the carbs to keep from going into as much protein while exercising, but you still need to replenish after the exercise too, especially since you can't replenish protein at all during exercise.

So, now that I've explained the reasoning why, here's what I recommend to my clients, in this order:

Warm up--at least 5 minutes, up to 15 minutes depending on the client. People with asthma and other issues need longer warm ups. Some people, even without medical reasons, need longer warm ups. Warm ups are dynamic total body movement through as full a range of motion as possible to prepare the body for what is to come. This can be dynamic stretching, but it should be similar to the exercise you are about to do. If you are doing heavy weight training (70%+ of one rep max), then you should do a warm up set of each specific exercise too with about 30% of your 1RM.

Weight Training--Broken down by muscle group so that they can weight train a different muscle group the next day. This can be done by Upper Body/Lower Body or Muscle Pairs or Individual Muscles depending on the goals of the client. For clients who are focused on fat burning from their workouts, this will only take 20-30 minutes. For clients who are focused on muscle building, it may take up to an hour or two.

Cardio--If we're focusing on muscle building, we may skip cardio completely and do only a short cardio session on another day. If we're focusing on fat burning, then cardio is the longest part of the workout, lasting from 30 minutes to an hour. We may do sprints or intervals or steady state depending on the way they feel that day and what the goal of the workout is. Heart rate during cardio is dependent on the client (IE: hypertensive patients have to maintain a lower heart rate while training) and the goal of the workout (Heart strengthening is 80+% of max heart rate and fat burning is closer to 70% of max heart rate, again, these are depending on the ability of the client and their medical condition.)

Cool-Down--Generally an extra 5-10 minutes of their cardio at a lower intensity to bring the heart rate down slowly.

Stretch--Static stretching or partner assisted PNF stretching for at least 10 minutes. This activates the Golgi tendon organ and muscle spindles to stimulate the shuttling of nutrients to the muscles for repair and replenishment of required nutrients. Because of that, it helps decrease DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and prevents the decrease in range of motion ability that you see in some body builders. It has also been shown to decrease the risk of injury from future workouts or falls because it keeps the range of motion up so that the body isn't as traumatized by those workouts or falls.

So, now that I've rambled for EVER, LOL, I'll apologize for giving you more information then you probably ever wanted. I tend to get excited about training though, and can't keep my mouth (or in this case fingers) from going on and on and on. :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Long answer: You train based on the energy system you are using. There are three energy systems: ATP-CP, Anaerobic Glycolysis, and Aerobic Glycolysis (also known as the Oxidative System or the Krebs Cycle). The ATP-CP system uses creatine phosphate and stored ATP in the muscles for quick bursts of energy, lasting no more then 30 seconds. This is the system that is used for say a 40-yard dash or max lifts. Anaerobic Glycolysis uses glycogen or blood glucose for the fuel and supplies energy for activities lasting up to 3 minutes. Most lifting exercises fall in this catagory. Aerobic Glycolysis uses a combination of glycogen or glucose and fat for fuel for longer cardio activities. Aerobic glycolysis requires a by product of glucose or glycogen breakdown in order to be able to burn the fat. If there isn't enough glycogen usage from either the aerobic or anaerobic systems to provide the pyruvate needed, then the body will have to turn to muscle breakdown to convert the protein into glycogen to be burned and provide that pyruvate so that fat can be burned. This is why people who do a lot of long cardio lose muscle as well as fat. Weight training not only helps prevent the muscle usage by sending neurological signals to the brain that the muscle needs to be saved and strengthened, it also provides that pyruvate from anaerobic glycolysis so that fat burning can occur. Replenishment of the ATP-CP system occurs in about 8 minutes. So, high intensity spurts of activity can be repeated throughout the workout every 8 minutes without loss of power. If they are done closer together then that, you may notice a loss of ability to perform to your max. Glycogen replenishment depends on the intake of carbs after a workout. 0.7 to 3 grams per kilogram of body weight is recommended within 2 hours after exercise. If you are going to do an extra long cardio workout, like a marathon, it is suggested that you replenish glycogen with carb intake during the activity so that you don't have to break down muscle. Protein should be replenished based on what activity you are doing. If you are just weight training, 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight per day of protein ingestion are recommended to help repair and rebuild the muscles from the cellular damage caused by lifting. If you are doing long aerobic exercise, up to 2 grams per kilogram of body weight are recommended so that you can help decrease the loss of muscle from the activity. Replenishment of glycogen and protein will take a little while, so you can't really refill the stores while you are working out, but you can provide the carbs to keep from going into as much protein while exercising, but you still need to replenish after the exercise too, especially since you can't replenish protein at all during exercise.

So, now that I've explained the reasoning why, here's what I recommend to my clients, in this order:

Warm up--at least 5 minutes, up to 15 minutes depending on the client. People with asthma and other issues need longer warm ups. Some people, even without medical reasons, need longer warm ups. Warm ups are dynamic total body movement through as full a range of motion as possible to prepare the body for what is to come. This can be dynamic stretching, but it should be similar to the exercise you are about to do. If you are doing heavy weight training (70%+ of one rep max), then you should do a warm up set of each specific exercise too with about 30% of your 1RM.

Weight Training--Broken down by muscle group so that they can weight train a different muscle group the next day. This can be done by Upper Body/Lower Body or Muscle Pairs or Individual Muscles depending on the goals of the client. For clients who are focused on fat burning from their workouts, this will only take 20-30 minutes. For clients who are focused on muscle building, it may take up to an hour or two.

Cardio--If we're focusing on muscle building, we may skip cardio completely and do only a short cardio session on another day. If we're focusing on fat burning, then cardio is the longest part of the workout, lasting from 30 minutes to an hour. We may do sprints or intervals or steady state depending on the way they feel that day and what the goal of the workout is. Heart rate during cardio is dependent on the client (IE: hypertensive patients have to maintain a lower heart rate while training) and the goal of the workout (Heart strengthening is 80+% of max heart rate and fat burning is closer to 70% of max heart rate, again, these are depending on the ability of the client and their medical condition.)

Cool-Down--Generally an extra 5-10 minutes of their cardio at a lower intensity to bring the heart rate down slowly.

Stretch--Static stretching or partner assisted PNF stretching for at least 10 minutes. This activates the Golgi tendon organ and muscle spindles to stimulate the shuttling of nutrients to the muscles for repair and replenishment of required nutrients. Because of that, it helps decrease DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and prevents the decrease in range of motion ability that you see in some body builders. It has also been shown to decrease the risk of injury from future workouts or falls because it keeps the range of motion up so that the body isn't as traumatized by those workouts or falls.

So, now that I've rambled for EVER, LOL, I'll apologize for giving you more information then you probably ever wanted. I tend to get excited about training though, and can't keep my mouth (or in this case fingers) from going on and on and on. :laugh:

Tonya, this is an awesome, if technical description. Thank you.
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    Wow. Lots of great info there Tonya - I for one thank you for taking the time to post it.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on your goals, and abilities.

If your intentions are mostly weight loss, and you lift light weights (less than 50% body weight) I see no problem doing cardio first.
    If you lift moderate to heavy weights, then definitely cardio last.
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    Agree with Tonya's posting..........

I'll add my workout and my reasons... (2 or 3 days a week)

Warm-up (Walk or Stationary Bike) 5 - 15 mins (just depends on how I feel)
    Weight Lifting (I do a 5 x 5 workout {5 reps in 5 sets} with 45sec rest between sets) I do roughly 4 exercises
    20 min HIIT (to help realease fat cells)
    30 min Walk (to burn fat cells)

This is what works for me.

On off days I take it easy and try to get a minimum 30 minute walk.
  • FrodoB
    FrodoB Posts: 19
    Options

Long answer: You train based on the energy system you are using. ....

That was the best explanation I've ever read. Thanks!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS do my weights first! Definitely count those calories burned too!