has anyone tried cauliflower mock mashed potatoes

Options
hmmmm
hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
I was wondering if anyone has ever made cauliflower mashed potatoes. I have seen this recipe over and over in slightly different variations. Anyway I tried to cook this tonight for dinner and after steaming and blending the texture was still kind of crunchy. It still tasted okay though. So my question is should I have steamed it longer, blended it longer or is it always this way? I really want to make this again when my hubby gets home from his buisness trip but I know if he tastes the texture he will write it off. He doesn't really like veggies. Any suggestions?

Replies

• hmmmm
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has ever made cauliflower mashed potatoes. I have seen this recipe over and over in slightly different variations. Anyway I tried to cook this tonight for dinner and after steaming and blending the texture was still kind of crunchy. It still tasted okay though. So my question is should I have steamed it longer, blended it longer or is it always this way? I really want to make this again when my hubby gets home from his buisness trip but I know if he tastes the texture he will write it off. He doesn't really like veggies. Any suggestions?
  • IndyManda
    Options
    It's gotta be the steaming. My family has made a version of mashed cauliflower since I was a kid and if it's crunchy, it's just not cooked enough. With cauliflower, the flavor you had before won't change by cooking it 5 min. longer. Try a piece and don't stop cooking till it is mushy if you're going to be mashing it. If you were eating it steamed without mashing you would want some texture and a little crunch. I don't know what kind of seasoning you are using or are willing to use, but to get my husband to eat this kind of thing, it either has to have garlic or cheese in it. I think they cover up the veggie taste. :ohwell:
  • hmmmm
    Options
    Thank you that's really what I wanted to know. Normally when my hubby makes mashed potatoes he loads it with lots of sour cream and cheese which makes me not want to touch it. But the taste of this -I added fat free sour cream- was good. I am going to try this on him when he gets back from his buisness trip his loaded mashed ptatoes have lost the potato taste anyway lol
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I make the South Beach version all the time for 60 calories and a good taste it is worth it.

dd
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    does it have potatoe in or is it just mashed collilower?
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's got poatoes in it - sounds lovely, might give it a try :bigsmile:
  • lbychick
    lbychick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i put in a little chopped parsley as well
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If made right, it's delicious with a spritz of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It is ALL CAULIFLOWER there should not be ANY potatoes in it.
    I have had it before and it does taste about the same, but with a little bite to it.
    --Diaann...
  • rseman
    rseman Posts: 50
    Options
    does it have potatoe in or is it just mashed collilower?
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do this...there is a yellow version out there too
  • rhondababy
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower. I cook it in fat free chicken broth until it is obscenely soft, and then use a food processor, adding some garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley.

-Rhonda

P.S.I'm fairly new, and still can't load a photo....sorry.
  • krazykayzy
    krazykayzy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This dish is supposed to be just cauliflower...there should be no potato anywhere near it! The cauliflower should be cooked longer if you are finding it is still crunchy. I add a little bit of garlic and some pepper and you should be good to go! The first time I had it I was a little nervous....I'm not a fan of cauliflower to begin with and the thought of mashing it made me want to say no thankyou. However, after tying it I'm now a huge fan and love it. MMM...maybe that's what I'll have for dinner tonight.
  • ltsoccermom
    Options
    Your timing is perfect. I picked up mixed veggies at Sam's that I mixed with my salad material for my lunches all week. It has cauliflower in the mixed veggie bag that I didn't want and thought to put it in a zip lock baggie in the fridg until I decided what to do with it. I will give it a try! I'm new to this board so THANKS! for the timely recipe idea.
  • Panthera
    Options
    I have also tried the South Beach Version and it is quite good. It has been a while since I had it and I had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me! *runs off to put caulifower on the grocery list*
  • stapesgirl
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I have had this dish and I think it is DELICIOUS. I've got the recipe from SouthBeach for you:

4 cups cauliflower florets
    2 tablespoons trans-free butter spray
    1 ounce fat-free half & half
    Pinc of salt
    Pinch of ground black pepper

Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan with 1.2 cup water. Place the cauliflower in the steamer and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 4 minutes, or until crips-tender. Puree in a food processor, adding the butter spray and the half & half. Season with Salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings
    60 calorise
    14.5 g fat
    0.5 g sat fat
    3 g protein
    11 g carb
    3 dietary fiber
    5 mg cholesterol
    105 mg sodium

Happy eating! :drinker:
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipe. I will give it another try! I have arthritus and potatoe is a bad word for it. Makes my back kink up like the tin man needing oil! hahahah Dag gone....Im not old enough for that!
    :bigsmile:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    The South Beach is just cauliflower. I will post the recipe tomorrow on the recipe thread.

dd

:tongue:
  • greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have made it many times and LOVE it :)....the way I do it is use my electric steamer to steam the califlower (it cooks it perfectly every time)...then while it is still hot I use a potatoe masher and just go at it till it is the texture that i like.....my trick is I add a little low fat or no fat cream cheese, pepper and salt to taste (sometimes I put in some chopped scallions if I have them)........the creaminess of the cream cheese gives it that mashed potatoe kinda texture and it is always a winner. I had one person not ever realize it wasn't mashed potatoes (and he doesn't even like califlower and he loved it)....
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I have had this dish and I think it is DELICIOUS. I've got the recipe from SouthBeach for you:

4 cups cauliflower florets
    2 tablespoons trans-free butter spray
    1 ounce fat-free half & half
    Pinc of salt
    Pinch of ground black pepper

Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan with 1.2 cup water. Place the cauliflower in the steamer and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 4 minutes, or until crips-tender. Puree in a food processor, adding the butter spray and the half & half. Season with Salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings
    60 calorise
    14.5 g fat
    0.5 g sat fat
    3 g protein
    11 g carb
    3 dietary fiber
    5 mg cholesterol
    105 mg sodium

Happy eating! :drinker:

Just wondering why there is so much fat in the nutritional breakdown? Is it the trans-free butter spray? What is that by the way? I use I Can't Belive It's Not Butter Spray and it has no fat or calories...and by the way it's pretty darn good.