Laxatives ...

Options
Last Wednesday night I took three laxatives mainly because I wanted to see my actual weight without all this **** in my system, literally. I knew taking three at once was probably not the best idea but I did it any way. Thursday was to be expected, but then that night I started getting a horrible stomach ache and I felt so bloated. Friday was the same damn thing. Yesterday (Saturday) I took a laxative in the morning thinking maybe I just needed one more to clear everything out, but nothing happened. I haven’t gone to the bathroom at all since that Thursday. Today I loaded up on Fiber and stayed on my feet most of the day, but about an hour ago I got REALLY bloated; I honestly look at least five months pregnant. So I freaked out and took ANOTHER laxative, because I have to be backed up right? That was probably the wrong thing to do, but I have no idea what else to do.

I'm sorry this is a gross topic, but I need help with this one :\

Replies

• Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    STOP taking the laxatives!!!!
    Drink LOTS of water and eat some high fiber food (pears are good) and move around and let nature take its course. No more laxatives though ok? Chuck the box out.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    wow im not sure what to say to that one...you shouldnt use laxatives unless your constipated.Im not sure what could be going wrong now,mabey do a google search or go to an urgent care
  • megancx3
    megancx3 Posts: 17
    Options
    That’s the thing though, I have been. I've taken them twice before Wednesday, the first time was about mid February and the second was March 7th. So its not like this has been going on for an extended amount of time. I just feel backed up, my body is a screwed up I guess.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Stop taking laxatives and allow your body to regulate itself. Yes laxatives gives you horrible bloat and gas and taking more will only make it worse sweetie. Just let your body do it's thing naturally. Most of the time if you eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water your body will eliminate all of it's waste naturally.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Didn't you read the directions? I would call poison control or go to the ER.
  • Jm522
    Jm522 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think more water might do it for you. I have the same problem. I take colon cleanse and drink about 6 cups of water afterwards....not all at once...but throughout the rest of the day and by the next day I am better.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Were they all the same laxative? Did you read the directions? I think it was pointless to start taking them just to see what you would weigh without food in your stomach, because you're ALWAYS going to have food in your stomach. I've no idea why you would continue to take more. You need to drink alot more water, and if anything go to the doctor and STOP taking more!
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have a prescription lax that I have to take each day for IBS and before I was put on those I took OTC stuff and it made me feel worse everytime.

If you feel like you need to go and cant you need to try something like a saline lax you drink. Those are the type of things the DR makes me drink before having a upper or lower GI scoping done.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER.
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested to me to drink 2Liters of water and that helps me to stay regular. Sometimes I have to take a softner and that's all.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    You may want to talk to your doctor.
    If you need help every once and a blue moon you may want to at least consider a suppository instead of Laxatives.
    I have back problems with protruding disks which sometimes swell and I need help, but my Doctor said NO Laxatives at all. I only use suppository maybe once every 6 to 9 months and only if all other things have not worked.
    Good healthy alternatives would be Green Tea, Water-Water-Water, green veggies like spinach, kale, broccoli, and peas. Fruits like peaches, pears and cranberries. High Fiber food like brown rice is also good. Try the natural foods first and give your body time to benefit from them.

Basically, the foods that are good for you are the ones that will also help keep you regular.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Step away from the laxatives! Girl, you are treading in dangerous waters! Not healthy, not necessary and sometimes over use of laxatives, doctors consider the first signs of an eating disorder....You are a very pretty lady! Be patient , hide your scale and just eat right. You're doing fine, just strive to be healthy. Thats what is most important! Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    DON'T take any more laxatives. That is what is causing your problem. You need to call your doctor.
  • megancx3
    Options
    Were they all the same laxative? Did you read the directions? I think it was pointless to start taking them just to see what you would weigh without food in your stomach, because you're ALWAYS going to have food in your stomach. I've no idea why you would continue to take more. You need to drink alot more water, and if anything go to the doctor and STOP taking more!

Sorry sorry, I wasn't too clear on this I guess. I have been backed up, maybe it is just because I have been eating less so I'm going less? But this is just so much more less and it’s all the classic signs of constipation honestly. The first time I took a lax (mid Feb.) it did the trick and my stomach pains went away and everything.
    I really don't understand how I can be constipated considering I get the recommended amount of fiber, I exercise, I drink a lot of water (I'm drinking some right now)
    I'm not stupid; I never thought taking these would prevent weight gain, because your body is still going to absorb what it needs too. However like I said I'm backed up. Going to the bathroom is hard for me now.
    I'm finally going to the doctor Thursday so I can get professional advice, and show her what I have been eating. And maybe it is simply I need to eat more? Probably. But I honestly have no idea.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have been having potty issues too. Sometimes 3 and 4 days will pass by without being able to use the bathroom. I bought PlumSmart Light by Sunsweet and it works. I am drinking 8oz in the morning right now and I will slowly decrease the amount until my body gets normal again. Good luck. I have also used laxatives and am steering clear of them, because I don't want my body to need them.
  • megancx3
    Options
    I have been having potty issues too. Sometimes 3 and 4 days will pass by without being able to use the bathroom. I bought PlumSmart Light by Sunsweet and it works. I am drinking 8oz in the morning right now and I will slowly decrease the amount until my body gets normal again. Good luck. I have also used laxatives and am steering clear of them, because I don't want my body to need them.

Maybe I will try that :)
    Hopefully I like it though, I'm such a picky eater and it annoys everyone. Haha.
    But thanks!
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When you take that much, your body sucks water from the rest of your body and send it to your intestines, which is why your stomach has been hurting like that . You've basically made yourself have raging diarrhea because you've taken too much, and it can take a day or two to get your system back to normal. Drink a ton of water, don't take any more laxatives, eat a banana or two, and take it easy!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Totally get the concern. What's keeping me regular is drinking water and having about 20 oz of coffee along side my bowl of oatmeal. 20 minutes later and it's all systems go. I'd read that even decaf coffee gets people moving in the morning, so it's not caffeine dependent.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When I feel "backed up" I drink a small can of prune juice and within a couple hours I am in the bathroom. I find when I am eating properly, I don't get backed up. Try the prune juice - you can buy a six pack of small cans. 120 cals a piece - I consider them my "snack" when I drink them.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Oh the juice isn't bad. I am not a fan of juices especially prune juice...YUCK! But this is easy to drink so I think you'll be fine.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Laxatives relax the smooth muscle in the intestines, so peristalsis slows (or even stops in extreme cases). I was addicted laxatives for awhile, which started me on a downward spiral of eating disorders. Try taking fiber supplements (Citrucel worked for me) 1-2x a day. It will take awhile to build up your muscle strength, but it will work. Good luck, it's a terrible feeling, I know it well!