1250 Calories a day?? Really??

Options
Is this right?? It seems like nothing!! I am 190lbs, about 5'2. I am already over my total for the day in 3 areas and haven't really had a bad day. I know it is my first day but I think I need to look through a few different peoples porfiles and see how they divide up their calories etc.

Any pointers or hints anyone has for me??

Laura

Replies

• AnnieBerg
    AnnieBerg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Remember, you can "add" calories to your day by exercising. The recommended 1,250 calories a day for you is net calories (Net Calories = calories eaten - calories burned).

The real trick is to learn how to NOT eat empty calories. You have to make everything count. Pre-planning your food the night before is also a great way to stay on track. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day instead of large ones at set times.

The first few days are the hardest but you've found a great tool (MFP) to make it all work. You can do this!!
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,
    If you would like to make your food journal public so I may look at it and give you some pointer or if you want to send me a direct message with the info I would love to help you out.
    Gaby
  • slimlisa23
    Options
    Yea, 1250 is about what your body needs to function. Once you add in your physical activity for the day, it allows you more calorie consumption. So if you burned 300 calories jogging or whatever, you can now eat 1550 calories for the day. Also, eating more nutrient rich and filling food will be more satisfying and you won't even notice you have consumed a considerably less amount of calories.

It takes a 3500 calories deficit to lose a pound, so if you're trying to say lose 2 pounds a week, you want to cut 7000 calories from your week or 1000 calories a day.

best of luck!
  • jennmom2three
    Options
    I thought that when I first started as well. Now I am having trouble eating enough calories. I earned an extra 500 this evening with my exercise. Just have to make smarter choices with what you do eat. I see what my calories are and ask myself if what I wanna eat is really worth it....
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The problem is getting all the nutrients at 1200 calories. I'm decrepit and can't exercise as much as I'd like.............. so yeah lots of salads for me.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    that's what it takes...it's a b*tch, but it's worth it!! You can check out my diary if ya want.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It takes a 3500 calories deficit to lose a pound, so if you're trying to say lose 2 pounds a week, you want to cut 7000 calories from your week or 1000 calories a day.

That's how it's set up here, the deficit is already built in based on your profile settings for rate of weight loss.

Don't enter that you want to lose 2 lbs a week and then knock 1000 calories a day off of what it gives you, for goodness sake. Just use the site as intended!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Once you getting eating right down, you will be amazed at how HARD it is to get to that goal. I was almost 500 under, and I eat a lot during the day. Its just the type im food im eating. Check out my diary!
  • miss_melissa_
    Options
    Hi I am 5'2 and started with a similar weight. I was only eating 1200 calories a day though and the pounds started to come off. Feel free to look through my diary. I think drinking a lot of water and learning portion control,really helped me. Also, exercise exercise exercise!
  • bethkampa
    bethkampa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend veggies! :) They are delicious, filling, and low cal.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I used to think the same thing but if you eat the right foods (fruits, veggies, whole grains and protein) you'll find that you can eat a ton and still not be over on cals. My diary is public so feel free to view it and I would give you suggestions on your if it was.. You can do it though! I find it best to eat 6 small meals instead of the 3 standard because then I feel like i'm eating all day and that keeps me from getting hungry!
  • ukq727
    ukq727 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Is it then the calories that count or the carbs? I have eaten plenty today (spinish, grilled chicken, fruit, raisin bread, sugar free jello, and turkey bacon, and cauliflower and cheese) and earned 319 from excersize (my calorie net is 1630 per day) and I still have 833 remaining what happens if I don't eat this all?
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I eat 1250/day. Pay no attention To the last few days over the weekend. Those were the exception for me and not the rule as we had company all weekend and ate out a lot.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    as you start making better choices you get to eat more for that 1200 cals. Im at something like 1000 cals today and Im full. I need to try to get atleat 1200 for tonight still. I dont eat any processed food at all though. so that is probally why.
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, exercise earns you more calories to eat...that's my favorite trick!!!

Also, what did you set your goal at? If it is at 2lbs a week, you could start on 1lb a week until you get used to eating less and work your way down...
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I often feel like I don't have enough calories for the food I want to eat, so I exercise. I can burn hundreds of calories and then have much more wiggle room with my food. Also, if I start to go over, I can redeem myself with a good workout!
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I take it back I do eat bagels and sandwich thins. I guess they are considered somewhat 'processed'
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    today I had pasta, steak, ribs, almonds, trail mix, a Monster, fruit and it was around 1300 calories. it can and has to be done! you can do it!!!
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The best way to stick to your calories is to fill your meals with fruits and/or veggies! They are nutrient rich, whole foods (meaning not processed), and low in calories. For every meal try to eat a fruit or veggies paired with some protein. For protein you can eat meat, fish, fat free milk, string cheese, and some nuts and seeds (in moderation). It's also a good idea to drink 1-2 8 oz glasses of water before a meal. This will fill you up some and keep you from eating more than you might want. For the first week I was pretty hungry but after that your body gets used to it and you feel less and less hungry!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes, really. And if you're anything like me when I started three weeks ago, the first week or so will totally suck. Then I started to realize that the more I exercised the more food I "earned", although it doesn't mean I get to binge on ice cream after a 45 minute cardio session. I wouldn't recommend trying to exercise heavily on 1250 a day, and if you enter everything correctly - food and exercise - MFP will tell you you're not eating enough when you make your final log for the day.

The more you start looking closely at portions and nutritional value, etc., the easier it will get. You might end up looking at a Girl Scout cookie in an entirely new way; i.e., is that going to be as satisfying to me as a piece of dark chocolate would be for half the calories? Or looking at a piece of lasagna as the equivalent of two slices of loaded veggie pizza, etc. You'll start to learn what other choices you can make, and you WILL make them.

I've also found that by logging in calories, I make a direct comparison to calories eaten: i.e., is a donut worth the hour and a half it's going to take me to make up for it, or would some sugar-free pudding do the trick?

(I have a serious sugar addiction, btw,)

You can do this. It'll take a bit of adjusting, for your mind and for your body, but you CAN do this, and you don't have to starve yourself to do it. Eat often, eat small, drink water, and walk as much as you can, as fast as you can.

Best of luck.