Best Breakfast Cereal

Options

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how good this is for you, but I am ALWAYS seeing ads on MFP for Fiber One Berry Yogurt Crunch...so of course I bought some. I had a bowl this morning and LOVED it. 170 cals per cup
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Multigrain cheerios! I love them cuz they have 100% iron. They are really healthy, esp if you had fresh fruit!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hemp Plus Granola. It is AWESOME:

http://www.naturespath.com/products/whole-grain/hemp-plus-granola

My favourite breafast to make with it is fruit & yogurt parfaits. You can find my "Strawberry Yogurt Parfait" recipe (calories included) on my blog:

http://jdelisle42.blogspot.com/2011/03/yogurt-parfait.html
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    I am eating Special K Protein Plus, with 10g of Protein and they taste good.. Also I likt he Kashi Wheat Squares Autumn Harvest, The new vanilla one is great tasting... Then oatmeal with Ground flax seed and Agave Nectur for a bit of sweetness...
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Try making some homemade granola. I make a recipe that uses rolled oats, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and crushed almonds all mixed with a little brown sugar and honey, a pinch of salt, some peanut butter and some regular butter and a dash of vanilla. You spread it on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 for about 40 minutes, stirring once or twice to break it up into smaller chunks. Then pull it out of the oven and let it cool, it will harden as it cools.

I'll try to look up the exact measurements later.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Steel oats for me,I have a problem with cold cereal,want to eat too much,so I stick to the oatmeal.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Strictly for taste, Cinnamon Burst Cheerios is the best. The calories aren't any worse than regular Cheerios.

I am eating this right now. I use it for a snack with no milk. I like it as a snack because if you eat each one on it own the cup last a long time.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of Kashi lovers here (was one too). Hope you all don't suffer from a common side effect.

http://www.pleasegodno.com/archives/20-1-cup-Kashi-GoLEAN-Crunch-+-12-cup-milk-Endless-stomach-churning-gas..html

For a long day of laughs and release, the comments are a great read ;-)
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE cereal and eat it every day. I am always looking for ones that have around 100 calories per serving and that keep me feeling full for a good amount of time. My new favorite is Kellogg's Crunch Nut. It is a new cereal and is quite tasty and filling! It also fits the bill for calories. :smile: Happy eating!
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Strictly for taste, Cinnamon Burst Cheerios is the best. The calories aren't any worse than regular Cheerios.
    This IS the best and you do not have to sweeten it
  • BlindFaith
    Options
    I am a big fan of oats made with half water, half soya milk and a teaspoon of St Dalfour strawberry conserve.

I also really like All-Bran, Bran Flakes with half a chopped banana, Alpen High Fibre, Shredded Wheat with fresh berries and for a very rare treat - Cinnamon Grahams.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of Kashi lovers here (was one too). Hope you all don't suffer from a common side effect.

http://www.pleasegodno.com/archives/20-1-cup-Kashi-GoLEAN-Crunch-+-12-cup-milk-Endless-stomach-churning-gas..html

OMG I am so glad I pick Cheerios over the Kashi GoLean cereal during this weekends shopping trip after reading the comments on this site. Oh it was so funny I was crying and could hardly read all the comments. :laugh:
  • Herntere
    Herntere Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the oat meal. :smile:
  • nelliemagine
    nelliemagine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also eat oatmeal most mornings. I LOVE Kashi Go Lean Crunch as well, but I've been trying to find some "good tasting" low sugar cereals besides oatmeal. Any suggestions??
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am not a true cereal eater because I hate milk, but I have recently tried Posts Honey Bunches of Oats with Pecans and they are great!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 469
    Options
    Lucky Charms......kidding...sort of

All Bran Strawberry Medley is good
    1 1/4 cup serving size
    180 calories
    6 grams protein
    10 grams fibre

and it tastes good
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle some All-Bran on my yogurt to make a parfait because I'm really not a cereal person.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options

OMG I am so glad I pick Cheerios over the Kashi GoLean cereal during this weekends shopping trip after reading the comments on this site. Oh it was so funny I was crying and could hardly read all the comments. :laugh:

Tell me about it. My stomach was already in knots when I first encountered that website. I had the best ab workout ever after reading through most of the comments.

Not that it's any excuse, but I knew there was a good reason why I avoided morning group fitness sessions ;-)
    Tons of Kashi GoLean lovers there. And it could also explain why some folks had that strained look on their faces even during the easy movements.
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options

OMG I can't stop laughing!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's my granola recipe. It's a Peanut Butter and honey flavor that I really like. Give it a shot.

1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup (half stick) butter
    3/4 cup peanut butter
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine in a saucepan and stir constantly until well combined. Then pour over:

2 cups rolled oats
    3/4 cup sunflower seeds
    3/4 cup crushed (or slivered) almonds
    1/4 cup flax seeds

Mix well until it's a big gooey mess. Then spread on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray in a thin layer. Spray the top with cooking spray too (adds a small amount of fat, but helps it to crisp up) Bake at 325 for 45 minutes, taking out every 15 minutes to stir and break up chunks. Each time to stir it up, spray the top with cooking spray again. Let cool completely and break up into chunks. I like to leave it out overnight to dry a little more, then store in an airtight container.