Oatmeal WOW

satanyanet
satanyanet Posts: 19
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I didn´t realize how much calories a bowl had!!!! :( 600!

Replies

• I didn´t realize how much calories a bowl had!!!! :( 600!
  • Geeeeez!!! lol. That much, huh? I don't eat oatmeal that often but my goodness...had no idea there it was that "calorie costly"! :ohwell:
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Hello

Is oatmeal the same as rolled oats/porridge? Because what I'd call oatmeal here is rolled oats, and my breakfast bowl of Harraways rolled oats is only 129Cal. I make it with water, and then add a spoonful of brown sugar on the top which is only 17 calories. So maybe there's a lower calorie version for you?

If it's not the same thing then never mind :flowerforyou:
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Not giving up my oatmeal. Dont care. Cant make me do it.:smile:
  • i´m going to research tomorrow at the grocery store, that really shocked me, i will try another brand, i was eating Quaker after my research and calculating i will switch the brand!!!
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    I eat oatmeal every single morning! And it's less than 150 calories per bowl... what are you eating? Hehe. :tongue:
  • lol what brand of Oatmeal are you eating???
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    I eat oatmeal every morning made from 1/2 cup of dry...150 calories. What kind are you eating?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member

That seems way high! Unless of course you're eating the flavored ones...then I can't speak for those, I like plain ole regular slowcooking oatmeal.

Or you can try McCanns (sp?) steel cut oats....even better for you.

Seriously...600 calories?? NO WAY.....unless it's a mixing bowl half full of brown sugar...lol
  • Fitness_Chick

Looks like you got your info from possibly the flavored types? Which ARE much higher in carbs/cals

The following info is from........calorieking.com ***** 97 calories per serving*****

Calories, Fat & Carbohydrates in
    Breakfast Cereals, Cooked: Oats, instant, plain, cooked
    Average All Brands
    Serving Size: 1 packet dry (6.2 oz)

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 97

% DV**
    Total Fat 1.6 g 2%
    Sat. Fat 0.3 g 1%
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 80 mg 3%
    Total Carbs. 17.0 g 6%
    Dietary Fiber 2.8 g 11%
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 4.1 g
    Calcium 99.1 mg
    Potassium 93.8 mg
  • Thank you very much to all:
    this is what i got

1/2 Dry =150 Calories (That Doesnt fill a bowl) QUAKER NATURAL OATMEAL

so... 300 Calories 2 cups

1 banana medium 86 calories.

386 calories plus Milk 3.25% fat (2 cups) 146 Calories

532 Calories.... ( I was wrong for 68)
  • Fitness_Chick
    Thank you very much to all:
    this is what i got

2 cups cooked? whoa...that's alot of oatemeal...lol

I go with what's on the pkg (canister) 1/2c oats to 1 c. water it doubles the oats when cooked. So that's 1 cup oatmeal.

I'm full on that (not full but satified)...but for someone else perhaps they need more in the morning....
  • Fitness_Chick
    Thank you very much to all:
    this is what i got

Oh I see...you meant 600 cals for your whole meal? ah...ok, there lies the difference......:flowerforyou:
  • This is my favorite oatmeal meal for 350 calories

(These brands are from Aldi)

1 packet of Millville Instant Oatmeal - Maple and Brown Sugar.. mmm - 160 calories
    1/2 cup of Millville plain oats - 150 calories
    1/4 cup Friendly Farms - Lowfat Cottage Cheese - 40 calories

I heat up the oatmeal with water and add the cottage cheese. I love it! Sometimes I eat that alone and it satisfies me. If I'm working out that day then I might have a banana or a glass of milk/orange juice as well. :smile:

BTW.. what brand of milk do you get? I usually get generic and both at Aldi and Jewel it's 90 calories per serving and that's the skim milk!
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    My favorite's are Quaker Instant Oatmeal (Low Sugar) - Strawberry & Cream & Peaches & Cream made with water

Sugar 6g
    Sodium 230mg
    Fiber 3g
    Protein 4g
    Total Fat 3g
    Total Carbohydrate 25g
    Total Calories 130
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Ladies, try to remember that oatmeal calories are

COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES !!!

Which is the kind we're looking for, because unlike SIMPLE carbs, these kind last longer, have more fiber and nutrients. Carbs are not the enemy!! WE need them to fuel us up in the morning. Studies have shown when we eat well in the morning, we are more likely to make better food choices and stay in control all day.

Brown rice instead of white is better for you too.

Go with the portion suggested - you will be surprised how oatmeal stays with you longer on what litle portion you get, if you supplement with fruit and a protein (milk or a hard boiled egg) Perfect breakfast!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Ladies, try to remember that oatmeal calories are

COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES !!!

Which is the kind we're looking for, because unlike SIMPLE carbs, these kind last longer, have more fiber and nutrients. Carbs are not the enemy!! WE need them to fuel us up in the morning. Studies have shown when we eat well in the morning, we are more likely to make better food choices and stay in control all day.

Brown rice instead of white is better for you too.

Go with the portion suggested - you will be surprised how oatmeal stays with you longer on what litle portion you get, if you supplement with fruit and a protein (milk or a hard boiled egg) Perfect breakfast!!

Exactly!! Very good point Russia:flowerforyou: It does sure keep you full (in a good way) and is a great way to start out the morning:drinker:
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Quaker makes low sugar oatmeal you can eat a pack for like 120ish calories....... and it is very filling (I think).
  • Fitness_Chick
    This is my favorite oatmeal meal for 350 calories

(These brands are from Aldi)

1 packet of Millville Instant Oatmeal - Maple and Brown Sugar.. mmm - 160 calories
    1/2 cup of Millville plain oats - 150 calories
    1/4 cup Friendly Farms - Lowfat Cottage Cheese - 40 calories

I heat up the oatmeal with water and add the cottage cheese. I love it! Sometimes I eat that alone and it satisfies me. If I'm working out that day then I might have a banana or a glass of milk/orange juice as well. :smile:

BTW.. what brand of milk do you get? I usually get generic and both at Aldi and Jewel it's 90 calories per serving and that's the skim milk!

I buy organtic no fat milk, depends on the brand, I buy several different brands. I love the taste of it vs. hormone milk:grumble: :noway: :laugh: I don't care what anyone says...I CAN tell a difference...really a different taste...and the taste remains the same each time I buy it... the cows are fed the same thing so the milk tastes the same each time.

When I've bought hormone milk in the past each carton tastes very different, depending on what the cows grazed on, were fed etc., sometimes very bitter (bitter clover they grazed on), sometimes quite sweet....I just prefer the clean stuff.:drinker: :drinker:

Have a great day all:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Quaker makes low sugar oatmeal you can eat a pack for like 120ish calories....... and it is very filling (I think).

It's funny how our tastes change over time isn't it? I now eat oatmeal (1/2 oats & 1c. water) plain...and love it that way now.

Years ago I would put brown sugar on it and milk....and I like it that way...now I don't need to do that to enjoy it anymore.

Of course to each his own! :o) Sometimes I put some natural sweetner in it...ya know like a few slices of banana...that sort of thing.

Someone suggested to add protein to the morning meal they add 1T. PB to their oatmeal...actually I've heard that suggested a number of times here...not sure I've tried that yet though. Might have to get used to that idea. :yawn:
This discussion has been closed.