Healthy Cookies and other desserts

Replies

• jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Ooh, oh I love healthy baking!
    Meringue cookies are always a savior, especially if you use half splenda, but they take for-ev-er to bake.
    I wholly suggest finding a "low fat blondie" recipe and using chocolate protein powder in place of some or all of the flour (mine has about the same calories as flour anyway) and you have brownies :D I suppose with vanilla protein powder you could do that with a whole host of things!
    Also, if you're looking for another excuse to eat a brownie, look up a recipe for black bean brownies - I know, it sounds daunting, but if you add instant espresso powder you hardly taste it (and when you do, it tastes sort of good.)
    I bet you can also make banana bread really healthy and tasty. I can't get enough of it sometimes - the whole wheat gives it this new sweetness. Maybe I'll try that with half splenda this weekend and see if it's still as irresistible. Don't be afraid to add a little cocoa - cocoa powder is actually super good for you :D

Also, I bet you could adapt one of my stranger recipes for apple dumplings to be healthier. It calls for refrigerated biscuits or crescent rolls, but you could make a scratch flour or find some low-fat whole wheat ones. Basically, you chop up a few apples, wrap the dough around the bits, and put it in a cooking dish. fill the dish with spices to taste, a few spoonfuls of butter or substitute, and a bottle of (diet) mountain dew - bake at 350 until golden brown. YUM.
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    They all sound so good!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    A lot of recipes I use whole wheat flour instead of white flour, and add less sugarand/ or use splenda, and add applesauce also to keep the cookies more moist.
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    bump~!:happy:
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    bump!
  • 77mommy
    77mommy Posts: 9 Member
    Here are two recipes I'm getting ready to try.

35 Calorie Pumpkin Cookies

1 cup canned pumpkin
    1 egg
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 cups Splenda granular
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir until blended. In another bowl combine all of the remaining ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture stirring until well blended. Cover cookie sheets with aluminum foil, and lightly grease with a non-stick cooking spray. Drop small spoonfuls of dough onto the sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool.

Orange Cream Cheese Cookie Cups

8 ounces light cream cheese, divided
    3 tablespoons skim milk
    2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    1 tablespoon orange juice, fresh
    2 teaspoons orange zest
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat two 12-cup miniature muffin pans with cooking spray; set aside. To prepare cookie dough, in a large mixing bowl combine 2 ounces cream cheese, milk and margarine. Beat on low speed until blended. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 tablespoon sugar. Beat flour mixture into cream cheese mixture on low speed until blended. Transfer cookie dough to a lightly floured surface and knead gently 4 times. Divide dough into 24 equal portions and press each portion into bottom and up sides of prepared muffin pans; set aside. To prepare filling, in a food processor or large bowl combine remaining 6 ounces cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, egg, orange juice, zest and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Spoon 2 teaspoons filling into prepared cookie cups. Bake until filling is set and edges are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    bump
  • Nathan's Lemon Cake

This is a namesake because Nathan Coulon's mom baked it for his birthday every year. We've adapted this recipe to trim the fat and calories, and it's still a moist, lemony treat.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
    Cake:
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
    3 large eggs
    1 cup nonfat buttermilk
    2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Icing:
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
    1 tablespoon lemon rind
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    Lemon rind strips (optional)
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray. Dust pans with 2 tablespoons flour, and set aside.

3. Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

4. Place granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat in 2 tablespoons lemon rind and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.

5. Pour batter into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack; remove wax paper from cake layers.

6. To prepare icing, combine powdered sugar and the remaining ingredients (except lemon rind strips) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread half of icing on top of cake. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining half of icing over top of cake. Garnish with lemon rind strips, if desired. Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.

I wonder if this could be made replacing some (or all) of the granulated sugar with Splenda...
  • LFelix1
    LFelix1 Posts: 7 Member
    These all sound so good! I am looking forward to making and trying these :bigsmile:
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Why does everyone reply "bump" ? What is that?

People do that so they can find this thread later in their "my topics" tab. : )
  • sunnycam
    sunnycam Posts: 71 Member
    Bump!
  • Here are a couple I found to try!
    Fat-Free Pineapple Angelfood Cupcakes
    1 box Angelfood cake mix
    1 20oz. can crushed Pineapple with the juice
    Mix both together & fill cupcake tins 2/3 full.
    Bake at 350 for 25 min. untill golden.
    69 cals per cupcake

PeachBottom Dump Cake
    1 Can of Peaches - drained
    1 box cakemix Your choice but white or yellow is most popular
    Spray a 9X13 pan with Pam. Dump in the peaches and spread them around the pan. Sprinkle the cake mix on top of that. Don't stir just pop into the oven according to the cake box baking directions! You can dust with powdered sugar when you serve it if you like.
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    yummy yum
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    bump
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    yum! I just joined and have already tried 3 recipes I found on mfp! This is an awesome thread
  • 1csdancer
    1csdancer Posts: 27 Member
    Sugar Free Angel Food Cake

1 Slice 45 calories
    1 tbsp 20 calories
    .25 cup of fresh strawberries 25 calories

only 90 calories :)
  • nparker1124
    nparker1124 Posts: 5 Member
    bump
  • 1csdancer
    1csdancer Posts: 27 Member