Constipation help

Options
2»

Replies

• anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    OK, I don't know the science behind why this worked for me a few times, but it did.

I drank warm water with lemon in the morning. And, somehow, constipation was gone.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    2 or 3 prunes in the morning with breakfast should help. They are tasty too.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have IBS/C .. and I find that taking Miralax daily really helps me (full disclosure, I am also on a med called Amitiza to help as well). It is not a fiber nor a laxative but a stool softener which helps ease trying to have a BM.

good luck
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow! 1200 a day is SO few! One of the things I learned while on the HCG diet (don't recommend it) is to do an apple day. Eat nothing but apples all day. It will increase fiber and help break a short plateau.

That said, I am a Women's Health Physical Therapist, I know a lot about constipation. Increase fiber, increase water, and a mild stool softener like Colace are all good choices. Avoid laxatives, they can totally mess up your system.

The walking is definitely a great start, but weight loss really cannot come by diet alone. As you work out, you build muscle which burns more calories naturally (even while you sleep). I would recommend eating more calories in just a balanced diet and increasing your workouts. If you like walking, the Walk Away the Pounds on DVD is a really good system and you don't need to go out to gym or be super coordinated.

One more caution: Constipation may be the cause of your recent plateau OR your body may be going into a starvation mode. Such drastic calorie reduction can work only for a short amount of time before your body starts to hold on to everything you consume because it's afraid you're starving it.
  • bcweisen
    Options
    Hot beverages in the morning actually stimulate the wave-like contractions of the colon to help "move" things out. :)
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    fiberplus bars
  • bcweisen
    Options
    Caffeine can also stimulate the contractions of the colon
  • lucyks
    lucyks Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are just starting your diet you might want to do a colon cleanse to get you started. This will flush you out, help your digestion and get you regular. Other then that like everyone else has said lots of fiber and water. You can lose weight without exercise but you may need to decrease the calories a little to help yourself out. Just stick with it and good luck!
  • gigigirl13
    Options
    I have had that problem all my life and finally found that drinking prune juice every night and eating a high fiber ceral help. Now most people only have to drink a small juice glass of juice.....me I have to have 8 oz. Gives me lost of gas so I just drink it at night. Also have been told Magneisum will help. Have friend who takes triple magnesium (400mg) and take 2 at night. She swears by it and says the best is at http://www.swansonvitamins.com/. I hope this helps. I know from years of experience and trying everything that it sure makes you feel bad. Good luck.
  • teejies
    teejies Posts: 19
    Options
    Water. Fibre and Pear Juice. Please do not rely on laxatives, as you may become dependant on them.

I make sure I intake at least 2-3 litres of water per day, and also I know that sundried tomatoes have a certain effect on me, so if I am constipated, I will include some in my diet.

The Pear Juice (natural) was actually suggested by a friend who works in a nursing home, and it is used on elderly residents for bowel movement.
    Coffee also helps.

Good luck.