why am I gaining?

Options
I have eaten back most of my exercise calories if not all of them as everyone has instructed me to do on this site and I am gaining wight. I use a hrm so my calorie burn is pretty close to accurate. I weigh and measure and count the calories of anything that enters my mouth including a mint or gum. I seem to lose when I don't eat the calories back so where to go from here?

Replies

• kerryannediet
    kerryannediet Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    interested in this Bump
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Because.

How are we supposed to help you if we can't see your diary or know anything about your age, height weight calories you're eating, calories you should be beat. Help us help you. It's all a calorie in vs. calorie burned. It's really that simple.
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Hmmm I thought it was open. Let me fix this
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you already have the answer. When you don't eat back exercise calories you lose; when you do you gain.

:smile:

So listen to your body and let it tell you what it's trying to tell you.
  • playfortoday
    Options
    Are you keeping track of your sodium? You could be retaining water.
  • denimandroses
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle, but losing fat. Since muscle weighs more than fat, the scale may not show a loss, or may even show a gain. If your clothes are fitting better (or looser), you're still on the right track regardless of what the scale says. :) Good luck to you!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this?? Are you drinking enough water??Are you weighing/measuring everything that you are eating??
  • laddyboy
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle, but losing fat. Since muscle weighs more than fat, the scale may not show a loss, or may even show a gain. If your clothes are fitting better (or looser), you're still on the right track regardless of what the scale says. :) Good luck to you!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 lb of muscle weighs 1 lb. 1 lb of fat weighs 1 lb.
  • laddyboy
    Options
    Hmmm I thought it was open. Let me fix this

Not fixed yet. I'll check back later to see if I can help.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 lb of muscle weighs 1 lb. 1 lb of fat weighs 1 lb.

True, but in terms of volume, muscle weighs more. Consider the example of a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers.

OP, have you measured yourself? You'll want to use your measurements as a reference point as well.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Possibly over estimating your burned calories, under estimating your food calories? Also, remember that part of the calories you burn when working out are calories you would have burned just sitting around and those are already accounted for on MFP, they do not need to be eaten back.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You haven't been doing this very long (join date of this month), I would recommend patience. My scale goes for weeks sometimes without showing a drop, even showing increases, before it finally drops to a new low. Once I dropped 2 pounds, per the scale, and I didn't see that number again for another month! I would stick to it for another month before changing anything.

I seriously doubt that you've gained any muscle. It's extremely rare to gain muscle while on a deficit and it takes more than a few weeks.

Your overall calorie burn may be lower than you think, HRM aren't intended to measure resting or light activity. I found that I wasn't burning anywhere near what the machines and mfp said. I'm very efficient that way!

Double check your portions and your food. Even if you think you're being accurate, there may be a slipping point in your diet. Mine was my nightly ice cream and not weighing ALL of my food.

Don't cheat. A meal or day too often can completely throw off your deficit. If you do anything, give yourself once a month to eat at maintenance, and then log it and monitor it.

If I don't get enough protein, my loss tends to slow. Make sure you are getting 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight.

So I was burning a bit less than estimated and eating a bit more than estimated. In the process, I completely obliterated my perceived deficit.
  • missbeezy
    Options
    I opened my profile and how come my diary wont show?
  • missbeezy
    Options
    Also I have been on the site since Jan 1 I restarted a new pare in March so I'm three months in and 8 lbs down
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    This happens to me to...I can not eat my calories back other wise I gain weight..Listen to ur body..
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Try eating half your exercise calories back and see if that makes a difference. It allows for errors in calculation either way.

And you profile and diary are open to friends only. You need to change your settings.........

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    Also I have been on the site since Jan 1 I restarted a new pare in March so I'm three months in and 8 lbs down
    8lbs in three months is just fine! As for why you're gaining when you eat your exercise calories... check to make sure your lifestyle setting is accurate. Under settings, click the 'Update diet/fitness profile' link. If you have your lifestyle set inaccurately, your goal may be higher or lower than what your body really needs.

Another thing to consider - when eating back exercise calories you may not have to eat all of them - just enough so that your Net total for the day is healthy compared to your BMR.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php
  • bettybejou
    Options
    Try not to be discouraged. You are motivated to lose weight and get healthy and you are making great steps to do that. I only seem to lose weight when I really stick to 1200 calories at least 5 days of the week and I give myself a little extra on weekends so I don't feel deprived. The calories I burn with exercise are really the bonus that help the weight to fall off so I don't pay any attention to them. If I ate what I burned off, I'd actually be on a 1400 calorie diet, and I doubt I'd lose very fast. I look at exercise as something to help me look more firm and count the benefits as my cholesterol and blood pressure control not to mention the benefits to my mental health. It's all about making healthy changes for a lifetime and then just watching food choices and portions to keep the weight off. Keep up the good work fitness pal. :)
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi...one thing to remember is that you may gain some lbs because of TOM. I ALWAYS gain about 3-6 lbs of water 2wks before mine and it takes around the same time for it to come off! Also if you are doing a good bit of wgt. training, your scale will go up for awhile, but if you keep at it and be patient it will come down sooner or later...the thing is that you can't always go by what the scale says...try measuring yourself once every wk or two until your body gets used to the changes you are making.:smile:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have eaten back most of my exercise calories if not all of them as everyone has instructed me to do on this site.
    See, here is the issue...not everyone agrees about eating your exercise calories back and it doesn't work for everyone so don't take everything that is posted on this site as gospel.

Most of us aren't doctors or nutritionists so all we can tell you is what has worked for us. You have to do what works for you. Maybe eating them back isn't what your body needs.