No carbs after 2:00......SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

Options
Ok, so the trainer at the gym said that I should not eat carbs after 2:00...REALLY??? I love a beer with dinner and all the other things. Can anyone help me with this..give me some suggestions???

Replies

• autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I've heard the same thing.......Bump!
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    In a perfect word maybe, that's just not realistic!
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think that's a little ridiculous. I'm no professional "trainer" or anything else having to do with weight loss. HOWEVER... I HAVE lost 30 pounds since January 1st of this year and I can pretty much guarantee you that not only have I had carbs after 2, sometimes I've had them after 6! ....and by sometimes I mean every day with dinner because bread is my favorite.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've heard that your body processes carbs more efficiently in the morning, so it's "carbs in the a.m., protein in the p.m.". however, although you should avoid carb-loading in the evening, it seems silly to suggest you should swear them off completely after 2. just don't go nuts on them, later in the day!

(and, of course, I always eat a snack like an apple or a banana after a workout in the evening, and i don't think there are any adverse effects...!!!)
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    idk about all these silly rules. None have i ever paid any attention to- with the exception of stop eating 2 hours before bed.

I've lost 75lbs, (i update mpf tomorrow) and i have eaten whatever i wanted as long as it was with in my calorie range.

Thats what worked for me though
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is bad. Find a new one.
  • etpx3
    etpx3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

lol i second this...makes me giggle.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've heard that your body processes carbs more efficiently in the morning, so it's "carbs in the a.m., protein in the p.m.".

Where did you hear this? I can't imagine any scientific basis for that conclusion...
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options

hahahhaa i like this idea
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    irrational carb haters do my head in!! Did s/he happen to explain WHY?? Or is this just another myth, like the Atkins, that will be proven wrong??

There are millions of people losing weight eating carbs all day long. FACT! Just dont eat more than you burn!

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard so my hours for eating is abnormal and haven't had issues losing weight. I echo the sentiment of getting a new trainer.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

hahahhaa i like this idea

:laugh: Agreed! :laugh:
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Perhaps in a perfect world we'd all look the way we want and weigh what we want- but we don't or we wouldn't be on here. So there are sacrifices to make for what we want. Like giving up wine (one of my sacrifices) and carbs and sweets and maybe other alcohol till we get something closely resembling what we want. Then add it back 2-3 nights a week instead of 7 ?? (just an example) :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the trainer at the gym said that I should not eat carbs after 2:00...REALLY??? I love a beer with dinner and all the other things. Can anyone help me with this..give me some suggestions???

Eat your carbs whenever you feel like it.

My guess is that his thinking is something like this:

-Most of us go into a mild state of ketosis overnight, because when we are asleep we aren't eating, hence not supplying the body with a steady stream of carbs. In the absence of carbs the body burns mostly fat (that's what ketosis is).

-He probably thinks that he can get you into ketosis earlier in the day by having your restrict carbs after 2PM.

I don't think he's right. You're either eating low carb or you're not.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When losing weight there is an obvious need to reduce energy intake but once the diet is established it’s quite possible to go above the number of estimated calories needed to lose weight. To try to compensate for these occasional “off days” we could try eating meals at a time when the energy would be more likely used effectively to replace nutritional needs and less risk that excess energy will be placed on the hips as fat. So when would be the best time to eat foods?

Some experts say the best time to eat food is when we feel hungry as this is the natural way our body is telling us we require nutrients or energy. The problem is some people always feel hungry and nibbling on high-energy foods is partly the reason a few of us became overweight in the first place.

I believe the best time to consume energy is when the body is at its most active, a time when the metabolism is elevated or when there is a need for extra nutrition. Perhaps the first instance should be in the morning, starting with a good breakfast. Remember while asleep the body has had no nutritional supply for up to ten hours so cells are ready to effectively use up the energy from food. Also, the body needs it’s supply of essential nutrients in the morning, especially protein, because excess or circulating proteins have been used up to help recover muscles, hair, skin, nails or to create millions of antibodies to defend against bacteria which may have entered the body during sleep. This means extra energy will be used to help replace the protein lost.

There is more chance the body will use up all the energy for muscular nutrition if a good meal is eaten in the morning, as everyone wakes up at different times its impossible to determine an actual time when breakfast should be consumed, for this reason the guide should be within an hour of waking.

Another good time to eat is after exercise. I always have my biggest meal of the day about 30-45 minutes after a weight training session. During this time enzymes responsible for energy production are most active and energy-storing hormones within the blood are suppressed. This means there will be less chance energy will be stored as fat. Carbs will be immediately taken up to replenish the low glycogen stores caused through exercising, the protein will be needed to aid recovery and growth of new calorie-burning muscle tissue and most of the fat from the meal will be needed to fuel many of these reactions. After a good workout most meals are likely to be utilized completely for recovery.

GOOGLED IT!
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat protein after working out in the AM and I don't really pay too much attention to carbs...you DO need them.
    I work beer and pasta in but not daily...I'd say your trainer is a little over the top. Maybe that practice will get you the quickest results but it isn't really a practical lifestyle change.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I mean that is if giving up carbs after 2pm works for you- I have also read the same thing. Its called the 17 day diet and was featured on Dr Phil. The dr who wrote the book says no carbs after 2pm. Proteins and non starchy vegetables after 2pm only. From what I understood reading the book its not that carbs are BAD after 2pm, its just that the slow your weightloss down. Protein and veggies after 2pm sped it up. But I'm sure everyone is different.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    irrational carb haters do my head in!! Did s/he happen to explain WHY?? Or is this just another myth, like the Atkins, that will be proven wrong??

There are millions of people losing weight eating carbs all day long. FACT! Just dont eat more than you burn!

good luck :flowerforyou:

Umm, Atkins is not a myth and it definitely has not been proven wrong. Sounds like someone needs to do some research...............

To the original poster: Unless you are going to eat only meat after 2:00 PM there is no way to avoid carbs. Nuts, fruits, veggies and of course grains, bread, etc all have carbs.

I am an avid low carber and this is not good advice from your trainer. I would suggest healthier carbs such as veggies and fruit later in the day eating the bread, grains and such for breakfast and lunch so they are burned off and not able to be stored later.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I mean that is if giving up carbs after 2pm works for you- I have also read the same thing. Its called the 17 day diet and was featured on Dr Phil. The dr who wrote the book says no carbs after 2pm. Proteins and non starchy vegetables after 2pm only. From what I understood reading the book its not that carbs are BAD after 2pm, its just that the slow your weightloss down. Protein and veggies after 2pm sped it up. But I'm sure everyone is different.

Non-starchy veggies contain carbs, so its not like you are consuming NO carbs after 2pm. This is where the 17 Day Diet is a marketed scheme.............................Your still eating carbs!!!

Vegetables contain carbs
    Fruit contains carbs
    Nuts contain carbs
    Grains, beans, legumes all contain carbs
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you should cut them out completely, but I would stick to a certain allotment each day and try to eat the non starchy carbs after 2 pm. I eat about 100-120 grams of carbs per day all coming from green vegetables or fruit, no potatos. I think your trainers mentatlity makes some sense. Your body can't burn the carbs off when your sleeping or less active, so limit them later on in the day. Those carbs that don't get burnt can get stored as fat. Check out the documentary Fathead, it's pretty eye opening at how messed up our government is when it comes to nutrition. I new the US govt was messed up, but I didn't realize to what extent when it comes to nutrition. Granted I am overweight by more than 100 lbs, but I have been following the nutritional plan that was given to me by my weight loss center and am down close to 55 lbs in 10 weeks.