logging in is so time consuming

Options
I am just not sure that I want to continue this route. I find that I'm avoiding logging in food, exercise, etc because it's so time consuming! How does everybody else handle this? I would literally be logging in maybe 10 or more times a day and that's too much.

Replies

• Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    I keep track on my phone and only add it when it is convenient. Same thing with exercise
    Once you kinda get a feel for which foods have "x" amount of cals in it, you will find it easier to mentally keep up with your approx cal intake
  • AmyB2011
    AmyB2011 Posts: 48
    Options
    Personally, I just log everything in at the end of the day. It doesn't take me too long, maybe around 10 minutes or so. Logging my food and exercise is the last thing I do before I go to bed. :smile:
  • Ashbee1224
    Options
    I have an app on my phone so it's super easy to log my food. I usually log my breakfast, lunch and snacks all at once since I usually have it planned out especially during the week. I dont find it difficult, sometimes I log while Im eating too, makes me slow down and not eat so fast!
  • AlisonMacKay
    Options
    I log in everything usually after I do it or eat it. You could always jot it down on paper and log everything in at once. I'm constantly checking my calories so it doesn't seem time consuming to me. Keep the track and don't give up!! Good Luck!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Personally, I don't find it takes very long to add to my food and exercise diary. Of course I use the app when I'm out and about and when I'm at home I have the website open on my computer screen most of the time.

Maybe try writing down what you eat all day, then just logging on once and adding it all at the same time.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals first thing in the morning, then just make minor adjustments. I spend a lot more time on the forums than on my diary page. :D
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    jot everything down all day and log at one time....
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If it's not working for you, then it's not working for you. For me, though, if I didn't have something like this I'd be lost. After a couple of weeks I found that logging the calories consumed became much easier as I became more familiar with the site. Yes, it can take a few minutes, but the health rewards I gain from it outweigh the little amount of time I have to invest!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I log in in the morning and log what I am eating while I have my morning coffee. I have access to a computer most times and if I don't I have my phone. I don't find it too time consuming more of a habit now. Time consuming is when I get on the forum...then I can't get off.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I plan my day the night before usually and this does save a lot of time.
    I am finding this fun to do though and not a chore.
    I am quite obsessed at the moment ... well, for over 10 weeks now. :happy:
  • Simone1970
    Options
    I agree, logging in 10 times or more a day is pretty excessive. My recommendation is to log into MFP three times per day. Once in the late morning (log in breakfast and mid-morning snack), second in the late afternoon (log in lunch and mid-afternoon snack) and then at night after you have eaten dinner and dessert/late night snack if you eat dessert.

The way I look at this whole processs is that I can either spend time logging in my calories or I could join a plan like Nutrisystem which calculates the calories/portions for you. However......MFP is FREE and Nurtrisystem is a couple hundred dollars per month. I know, I did it and it worked but equaled the cost of a monthly car payment for me. So my motivation was to save my pennies and spend a little time logging in my calories which showed me the same if not better results than a pre-planned diet program.

Whatever you decided to do, wishing you best of luck!

Simone
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    I plan the night before and log in foods/ meals i will have the next day and if i have to update it a bit i do!! I dont log food in as i have eaten them, i plan what im going to eat!!

It works for me!!
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I log in 3-4 times per day and find it no problem at all. I It's really easy and fast, once you get used to it.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I must be very sad as I actually look forward to logging everything! "Little things please little minds!!":laugh:
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    I have the app on my phone, I log most of my day while I am eating breakfast although I usually end up changing my dinner at the last minute. But it helps me to do it that way because then I have an appropriate number of cals left for the day by dinnertime.

It would be a lot more difficult if I had to do everything on the website, and there is no way I would remember at the end of the day everything I ate.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    What I've found works best for me is to sit down in the morning and log all my food before I have my first meal. I trend to eat a lot of the same things, especially breakfast and lunch, so I usually copy all my meals from the day before and then edit the things that will be different. It helps save time, and it helps me make the right food choices during the day. In my mind, it makes more sense to use the food diary as a tool to help make good choices rather than as a way to keep track of the damage already done. As for the exercise diary, you can do the same thing. Log whatever exercise it is you're going to do, and then make sure you do it. I've never logged anything in there other than actual workouts (cleaning, shopping, etc.). I figure that all gets captured in my "lightly active" setting for daily activities, even though I have a sedentary desk job.

Good luck finding a way to use MFP's tools that makes them useful for you! I know they've been invaluable to me.
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I second this, and actually have come to look forward to that time of day, just to see how well I've done.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I find it gets quicker the longer I've been using MFP as my favourites/frequent food lists get more and more useful. Also I'm gradually adding more 'my foods' and 'my meals' which makes it quicker too.
    The 'copy yesterday' is a time saver for breakfast as I don't vary mine much.

I sometimes plan a day the night before, log it in then adjust/edit if I need to. That helps me stay on track too!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    P.S. The puppy in your profile pic is adorable. Is that your baby? :heart:
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead first thing in the morning for the day or just enter it all end of the day if that works better. I know that I would not be losing like I am if I wasn't keeping track of what I am eating somehow. Good luck!! And know we are always here for you no matter you decide!:smile: