Somethings fishy....

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
I am not a fish eater typically-love shell fish but not really big on fishy fish.

I would love to try some new VERY MILD fish recipes but need your help.

What's a great mild fish? How do you cook it?

Any recipe suggestions would be great.

Replies

• chrissyh
    Options
    I am not a fish eater typically-love shell fish but not really big on fishy fish.

I would love to try some new VERY MILD fish recipes but need your help.

What's a great mild fish? How do you cook it?

Any recipe suggestions would be great.
  • Kylie30
    Kylie30 Posts: 16
    Options
    Sole....a vey flaky, light not fishy fish! A little lemon and butter and salt & pepper pan fried....good to go...
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My favorite is tilapia. It seems to be very mildly flavored. Fish is my brain food, so I kinda go a little insane when it's around - it's easily the lowest in fat content, so it's my first choice when deciding what's for dinner.

I have a traditional fish seasoning made specifically for it - it's hard to describe and I can't remember the name of it.

Otherwise, I just sprinkle a little s& p on it and some thyme.
  • acox68
    acox68 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've gotten really picky about fish lately....I used to LOVE Tilapia, but now sometimes it tastes a little muddy to me. I love Halibut and Cod though....in my opinion, they both have a very light flavor.

Andrea
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree, try some tilapia. It has a very mild taste. I usually sprinkle mine with lemon pepper and broil it in the oven. Personally tuna steaks are my favorite :smile:
  • Poison5119
    Options
    I had a bigg-*kitten* peice of tuna last night. OMG it was soooo good. It was 8 oz, so I ate 6oz and shared the other part wi/my 3 kitties!! puuuurrrrrrrrr....
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I hate seafood but I will eat Mahi Mahi. It's like the "steak" of all other fish and doesn't have that powerful fishy taste.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I've tried tuna steak - too fishy for me.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I hate fish - but I made teriakyi swordfish on the grill didn't even taste like fish - I'm tying to eat it cause my H loves fish - so I make it for him
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    Orange Roughy...delish.
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm one for tilapia too. Although I love any kind of fish, this is the mildest.

I like to cook mine stovetop with some creole seasoning in evoo. Lately I've been adding a frozen bag of bell peppers and onions to the pan first, then the tilapia with seasoning. Rice on the side and with salad.

Good luck on trying something new! :flowerforyou:
  • cmlock
    cmlock Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters cant stand fish...the only way I can get her to eat it is when I tell her its 'chicken'. This works especially well in any curry dish...you really cant taste the difference in a curry ...still all the goodness...just hidden in a deeeeelish curry...:laugh:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Have you tried steaming fish with Old Bay Seasoning, Lemon Pepper, Garlic Herb, or just plain sea salt and peper. You don't need to use any oil or cooking sprays and some steamers have an herb pocket where you could us fresh herbs.

I do this with Tailapia, Halibut, Flounder, Salmon, Tuna Steaks, Shrimps and Scallops
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You originally posted that you wanted recipes, right?

My favorite way to cook white fish is to coat in a thin layer of reduced-fat mayo, then roll in a mixture of half parmesean cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs. Bake on a pan sprayed with Pam in a 350 degree oven until fish flaked easily with a fork. It is really tender and unless you really overcook it, the mayo keeps it from drying out. Sooooo good!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    You originally posted that you wanted recipes, right?

My favorite way to cook white fish is to coat in a thin layer of reduced-fat mayo, then roll in a mixture of half parmesean cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs. Bake on a pan sprayed with Pam in a 350 degree oven until fish flaked easily with a fork. It is really tender and unless you really overcook it, the mayo keeps it from drying out. Sooooo good!

That sounds great!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I use to work in a fish market so I have a few suggestions:
    1) Tilapia is great. It is a very mild fish and can be seasoned with practically anything and cooked in any number of ways. I like to use a lemon pepper seasoning and bake it in the over.
    2) Catfish is one of my favourites. However, I do recommend you buy farmed catfish. I know that goes against what most people would think, but wild catfish can taste really muddy. Farmed catfish is grain fed. Catfish is a moister, meater fish than tilapia. I love it pan fried with a cajun seasoning!
    3) Basa (also known as Macau Sole, although it technically isn't sole). Generally, you will find this frozen and it is very very mild. It is a lot like tilapia but a bit more moist. I love it! Any of your favourite seasonings will do!
    4) Mako Shark. Yup Shark! Very dense. It tastes like meat instead of fish. Great with a cajun seasoning cooked on the bbq. Swordfish is also very good and quite mild. Both of these you should buy frozen as precut steaks.
    5) Monk fish - looks gross before it is cleaned but tastes very similar to lobster at a fraction of the cost. Best pan fried with some butter and spices... ok so maybe this isn't the most calorie wise choice.

A few more points.
    1) Fresh does not always beat frozen! Most frozen fish has been flash frozen shortly after being caught, locking in the freshness and taste. A lot of the non-frozen fish has spent a lot of time out of the water before it makes it to your local market. Unless it's pretty local, I buy frozen. After all, a lot of the fish in the counter was frozen anyways and they just thawed it before putting it on display.
    2) If you are buying non-frozen fish always smell it first. If it smells like ammonia it is not fresh and do not buy it. Also, if the fish is whole, clear non-murky eyes are a sign of freshness!
    3) When buying frozen fish or seafood, especially shrimp look at the ingredient list. Many contain unhealthy preservatives. Shrimp rings are the absolute worst for this. I never ever buy them. I buy frozen raw shrimp and cook them myself. It is easy to do, healthier and tastes way better. The best shrimp for cocktails is black tiger shrimp. Most of the time you can buy them already deviened. Also, cooking them in the shell will add more flavour all though it makes it less convienent to eat.
    4) Fish is best cooked at a high temperature, whether your are doing it on the bbq, broiling, baking, frying, steaming or poaching. Also, a good rule of thumb is 10 min cooking time for every 1 inch of thickness. For frying and bbqing flip around the half way mark or just past it.

I could really just go on and on and on. Really, buying fish comes down to having an open mind and common sense. Buy in season where possible and don't be afraid to ask your local fish expert for advice. Where possible buy from a fish market rather than your local grocery store.

Good luck and have fun!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    One more thing... just a personal preference I thought I would share. Cod is one of the wormiest fish! It is unavoidable. I don't eat it for that reason. I know it tastes great, especially as fish and chips, but afetr having personally pulled worms out of the fresh fillets I can't stomach the thought of eating it. I guess the worms would add more vitamins though:laugh:
  • Poison5119
    Options
    One more thing... just a personal preference I thought I would share. Cod is one of the wormiest fish! It is unavoidable. I don't eat it for that reason. I know it tastes great, especially as fish and chips, but afetr having personally pulled worms out of the fresh fillets I can't stomach the thought of eating it. I guess the worms would add more vitamins though:laugh:

Eww.... thanks for that tip! :laugh:
  • chrissyh
    Options

Eww.... thanks for that tip! :laugh:

THAT'S GROSS! Makes me really want to avoid fish! I'll try others.