Hundred Push Ups October

Options

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Push past the soreness?

So, on Friday I started this challenge. So yes, week 1 day 1.

I plan to do week 1 day 2 today.

But I'm still sore. although a lot better than yesterday. Almost all of my soreness is just where my shoulder meets my chest/armpit.

anyway.

I think I can do today's routine, but then I was planning on doing day 3 on Tues.

is that ok? are you supposed to let the soreness heal inbetween, or push past it?
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    The soreness for me only lasted during the first week. I really haven't been too sore since then. So I say do it even with the soreness; it may help work it out. You really should try to get a day of rest in between though. Your body does need that. Congrats on making it to day 2!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I want to thank Mechanicmom for responding kindly to my silly remarks a few weeks ago. Her words have encouraged me to do something I never thought possible.

I was drawn into this thread because I could not do a push up. Period. No questions. I would not even try. I have a neck injury, I am too old, I am too weak. One night I posted that I tried 1 and had to lie there and nap for a while afterwards. It really wasnt far from the truth.

The next day I got on the floor and tried again. Each day I added another one, then I started on form.

I am up to approx 30 girlie push ups on my knees, 3 on my toes and added a few 15 second planks for good measure.

I went to work on Friday for a meeting. Without thinking I wore a sleeveless shirt gasp...:noway: :noway:

At least 10 people came up to tell me my arms look great! I made a muscle and surprised myself!!

I want anyone reading this, who thinks they cant do it, to go right now and try. Build on it, it will give you such a feeling of accomplishment.

Then take the time to encourage another human being, as Mechmom did for me.:love::love:
    You have no idea how one simple comment can change the life of another person. :flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Way to go, arewethereyet!!!! That is so great that you challenged yourself and have come so far. I know I never thought I'd be able to do what I'm doing now - it is just about continuing to challenge yourself and being willing to try. And I agree with you - MechanicMom rules!!! :love:

I started over week 5 again today, on level 2 this time. Wow! It's so much harder than level 1. :noway: I made it through, but just barely - questionable form and longer than the recommended 60 seconds of rest between sets.
    1: 28
    2: 35
    3: 25
    4: 22
    5: 37 (min 35)

My arms are quivering... that was 147 pushups! Plus the 38 I did this morning for my test! :noway: I don't know how the rest of this week will go, but I am going to give it my best shot. Happy pushups, everybody - you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks CP

147 push ups??? That is amazing. I do that many in a week! LOL
    000202B2.gif
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Y'all are sweet saying all those nice things about me. :smooched: :blushing:
    Well, I don't know what happened. I did week 5 level 1 day 1 on Monday. This morning I jumped back up to week 6 level 1 day 2. The first 8 ? sets seemed pretty easy...well, easiER! I took a 2-3 minute break to read a book to my son then I did the last set (min of 44) and I was able to do 47! Maybe I really just needed a lighter day? I was able to get down lower and felt stronger. I have to think some of this is due to the upper body work on the Shred and of course the abs! That's what gave out today. My legs hit the floor because my back and abs couldn't do it. Ever since I have started doing push ups my lower stomach has been flatter, so I know it's helping with that. If I'd known before how much push ups help all over then I would have done them a long time ago!
    Maybe in another week or so I'll post pictures. I'm not sure they will look that impressive though. My family might come visit next Monday so I hope they notice!!!!
    Off to do more upper body with Taebo!
    MM
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Oh, CP if you are doing week 5 level 2 this week I think you should have no problem moving on to 6 next week! Level one is pretty similar to week 5, 2. You'll be blowing me by pretty soon! I still want my shirt!!! :tongue:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody. . .I forgot to log on Tuesday, but I re-started week one (column 3)

Today it's:

1-10
    2-12
    3-8
    4-8
    5-15 (max)

(I'm aiming for "perfect form". . .I think I was cheating at my first attempt at week 2.):flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    Options
    Hey everyone! I did Week 5, Day 2, level 2 yesterday. I know I totally compromised on form at the end, but I still felt awesome!

1&2: 18
    3&4: 20
    5&6: 14
    7: 16
    8:45 (min 40)

165! No way! :bigsmile:
  • cp005e
    Options
    Week 5, Day 3, level 2 today - I made it through. Again, though, probably cheating my form quite a bit on the last set - I'm just so afraid that I'm going to collapse that I do 10 at a time just as fast as I can.

1&2: 18
    3&4: 20
    5&6: 17
    7: 20
    8: 50 (min 45)

So I am hopeful that when I test again on Sunday, trying not to cheat my form so much, that I will be able to move on to week 6. If not, I'll just repeat what I did this week, but work on going down lower.

Happy weekend, PUPs! :flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Hey everyone! How's your week been? Anybody testing this weekend?
    Viv, you're doing level 3? Wow, impressive!
    CP, are you going to be moving on to week 6 with me? :wink: You'll be blowing past me pretty soon, I'm sure!
    I'm going to be starting week 6 level 2 on Monday (maybe Tuesday since I have family here on Monday). Or at least that's my plan. I have some upper body work to do this weekend (like mowing and house work) so I'll have to see if I have energy left.
    I tried something different today. I have still been sore from Wednesday and from doing other upper body work this week, so I wasn't sure how well my test would go. I did 51 barely! Then I decided to take a 60 second break and do more, a break and do more and on and on. I did 7 sets with a minute or so break in between. I just did as many as I could each set, to see how far I could get. Here's the results:
    51 (not happy about that but it IS ONE more than my last two tests!)
    total 218!
    So If I can do 218 push ups in 10-15 minutes why can't I do more than 50 consecutive? I can't figure it out. But I am going to try week 6 level 2. I may totally bomb on the last set but I will just keep doing the week until I get strong enough to do it!
    All right I'd better get to work on the house. I wonder if I can use my feet to wash dishes since my arms are still laying on the floor. :laugh:
  • cp005e
    Options
    YES!!! I did 49 pushups in my test today, so I am moving on to level 6! I know this is going to be tough, but I am so glad that I have you guys to help me push through.

Melissa - that is really impressive! I think it's great that you're going to do level 2 this week. I'll admit, I am beginning to think the "100 pushups" program is a little bit flawed, though... I am just not sure how you are supposed to go from doing 50 consecutive to suddenly doing 100. I think in one of the things I read about the final test, he was talking about taking them 10 at a time, maybe pausing for a second in between each set of ten. Maybe that would help? I made a BIG improvement this week, and I think it was mostly mental - I just counted 10 at a time instead of counting up as high. I think as I approached whatever number I was shooting for, or seemed high, I was psyching myself out. But if I just counted to 10, and then 10, and then 10, and then 10, etc, it didn't seem quite as hard.

Either that, or I'm just cheating. :wink:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Okay, I did level 2 of week 6. I did better than I thought I might I guess. I collapsed a little sooner on set 2 than I expected. Here's how it went:
    1: 40
    2:43 (50)
    3:25
    4:25
    5:50 (went to my knees for about 2 seconds)
    Then I made up for the seven I missed and threw in an extra three for good measure. :tongue: 193 altogether. Not bad. I expect to get through it next week without problems. :smile: I should be able to do more than 50 because when I finished the first set of 40 it was tiring but I know I could have done quite a few more. No way on earth did I think I'd ever be able to do level 2 of week though!
    Cp your doing great! Welcome to week 6! Oh yes and the 10 counting is what I've been doing. It helps a lot! Have a great week! I'll post again on Wednesday!
    MM
  • cp005e
    Options
    I made it through week 6, day 1! I am scared about day 2, though - 9 sets?
    1: 25
    2: 30
    3: 20
    4: 15
    5: 43 (min 40)

My arms were very sore right after I finished (a couple hours), but I feel OK now. Here's my funny story for the day - I got distracted in the locker room at the gym today because I was checking out my arm muscles! You still can't really see the one on the back of my arm, but the one on the side is really starting to 'pop' nicely when I flex! :bigsmile:
    Keep it up, MM - we will get there!
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    I got distracted in the locker room at the gym today because I was checking out my arm muscles! You still can't really see the one on the back of my arm, but the one on the side is really starting to 'pop' nicely when I flex! :bigsmile:
    Ha ha! I do that too. My biceps aren't really changing (they were at first) and the back of my arms are still flabby, but YEP! There's that side muscle popping out!:laugh: I also have to say that the push ups are working my abs, back, and legs as well. Even my legs are tired after doing over 100 push ups. My calves were a little sore on Monday, so I know it's working more parts than I realized!
    Oh and don't be scared about day 2 CP. It's hard, but I enjoy the shorter faster sets more than the long ones. I can do them easier. I'll say that now and then struggle tomorrow when I have to do them. I am very chatty this morning. :laugh:
  • cp005e
    Options
    So it's down to just us again, huh? Come back, PUPs! :tongue:

I have noticed that my legs start shaking on the long sets as well. I think it is because I am squeezing everything to keep my body very straight. I haven't noticed soreness yet, though - except for my arms. I wonder how long it will take for that back-of-the-arm flab to go away? I have always had a lot of padding back there. Oh well - my arms are looking better than they ever have! Good luck today - I'll be doing day 2 tonight. :flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    I know there are some other people out there doing this challenge but aren't posting. I've read about it in posts. It's encouraging to hear of others doing it. Maybe we need some more newbies to join? We're into the last week so maybe they think it's almost over?
    I have to agree, my arms look the best they ever have, even though they aren't where I want them to be. If my mom noticed that I've been working out then they must look different! I do wish the back flab would go away. My arms would look a lot more muscular.
    Well, today went surprisingly well, especially considering I don't feel well. In a strange sort of way, today felt almost easy. I am thinking I wasn't getting down as low and that's why. My wrist was hurting. I will worry about getting down lower when I repeat this week, next week. I made it through day 2 without having to stop even on the last set! That's why I am scratching my head as to why it seemed so easy. I even did 2 extras on the last set before my feet started to slip. (Barefoot.) So it built up my confidence! 217 push ups! 45 second breaks and a two minute on the last one.
    Let me know how today goes CP!
  • simlane
    simlane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    wow you guys are doing so well on here, 9 sets(oh dear not looking forward to that!!!)
    just done test at end of week 2 and i will be starting week 3 on level 2 so wow i improved in just 2 weeks!! still no full push ups but who cares??? i have muscles on my arms and can actually see bat wings shrinking!!!!!!!:tongue:
    anyway not been on here for a while, not enough time to log foods daily but i have a good idea of whats what by now, got a weigh in tomo or fri at drs so hopefully will find out if all this work has paid off... just keep telling myself muscle weighs more than fat!!! i have lost cms, you can see it in my face and legs, lets just hope the scales show it too!!!
    see you all soon xxx:drinker:
  • cp005e
    Options
    I was tired so I forgot to post last night. But I made it through Day 2! I was sorta watching TV while I was doing them and was so focused on checking the time to keep track of my 45 seconds that I wasn't sure whether I had already done my 8th set or not. I was PRETTY sure I had... but I forgot to put the checkmark on my paper. So I went ahead and did the last one, waited a couple minutes, and then did the 8th set again, just in case. Whew!
    1&2: 14
    3&4: 15
    5&6: 14
    7&8: 10
    9: 45 (min 44)

I think I agree with you MM - the shorter, faster sets are much more satisfying. But we have to get the long ones in eventually!

GREAT job, simlane! Enjoy week 3. Good luck with the scale, but I think how your clothes fit is the best measure! :flowerforyou:
  • gmpearse
    gmpearse Posts: 136
    Options
    OK, I'm in.

Week 1, Day 1, Level 2 - wish me strong arms:bigsmile: