so you think all those artificial sweeteners are better?

Options
2»

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad and evil and will kill you nowdays ....
    I disagree, I think the problem we face today with our modern diets is that we have become lazy and opt for the processed junk as opposed to plain natural foods. How many of us go grab that bag of chips or bag of cookies after a long day? I know I used to, but since I got my diet cleaned up and cut out about 90% of the processed foods I am much happier, healthier and very few cravings other than for the healthier stuff I eat.

im not only talking about food,deoderant,cosmetics,hair dye,building materials,high tension power lines,water bottles,plastic cups,the air outside have all been linked to some pretty nasty stuff.
    Ive lost 50 pounds just fine and i drink diet soda atleast 1 a day i use truvia for everything else.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    So...I should cut back on the Splenda hot-rails and instead just do lines of honey to get a good drip going? Damn.

holy crap HOT RAILS!!!!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    What is the general opinion about using sugar alcohols as substitutes?
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use splenda but not everyday.
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    I use splenda but not everyday.

So do I, but not in a daily basis.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    what gives this "scruffy" guy (author of article) any merit? I'd rather see scientific articles posted than numerous random blog posts to be honest. This post seems more like one of those holier than thou contests to see who is the healthiest due to not consuming any artificial sweeteners

and before you accuse me of consuming them, i don't drink diet pop more than twice a week and majorty of my food does not have artificial sweeteners since it's fresh. I also don't care if someone else consumes them because that's their choice and if they feel their best, then it really doesn't matter.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    its not intended as a holier than thou deal, its more intended to point out that although a lot of the sugar laden foods are bad, any refined chemical crap they are putting in the foods to sub for sugar is not good for you either. There are indeed lots of articles which will point this out. I am not intending to preach to anyone but I do know from experience that it will and can slow down fat loss.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I drink water mostly and occasionally i add Mi0 water flavoring. It's zero calories and not in great amounts. A 12 ounce soda contains about 13 teaspoons of sugar so i'll take my chances with a lil sucrose ie Splenda when i do want a sweet drink. I've tried Stevia and didn't think it was worth the money since i drink so few sweet drinks.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This is just some random guy. He uses absolutely no sources in his writing and there is nothing to make me believe that he has any more credentials than some random person on the street.

I've read most of the studies and they are all inconclusive. The ones that come to a conclusion (on both sides) use faulty methods or base their research on false information. I have spent an entire year reviewing research in this area. I'd be extremely surprised if you could show me a study I haven't seen before. I'm actually trying to get the lit review published, but the process takes FOREVER :(.

That said, my guess is that this stuff is not good for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad for you. Don't use it because there's no real reason to.
  • dream_on
    dream_on Posts: 6
    Options
    The only problem I have had with drinking lots of diet drinks is the need for fillings in my teeth! Careful, people.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad and evil and will kill you nowdays ....
    I disagree, I think the problem we face today with our modern diets is that we have become lazy and opt for the processed junk as opposed to plain natural foods. How many of us go grab that bag of chips or bag of cookies after a long day? I know I used to, but since I got my diet cleaned up and cut out about 90% of the processed foods I am much happier, healthier and very few cravings other than for the healthier stuff I eat.

im not only talking about food,deoderant,cosmetics,hair dye,building materials,high tension power lines,water bottles,plastic cups,the air outside have all been linked to some pretty nasty stuff.
    Ive lost 50 pounds just fine and i drink diet soda atleast 1 a day i use truvia for everything else.

Doesn't mean it's not bad for your health.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Here we go...

Solution:

Ready for it?

Everything in moderation.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Here we go...

Solution:

Ready for it?

Everything in moderation.

Does this include occasionally hitting the crack pipe?
  • shamekao
    shamekao Posts: 5
    Options
    Interesting discussion. I recently switched to Stevita flavored drink enhancers because I despise drinking water all day. I also use Truvia when I'm making tea or coffee. I'm not sure about what aspartame will do to my body over time, but I know that it does give me pretty bad migraines.