Brides on a Mission: Week 4

Options
124»

Replies

• agoessli
    agoessli Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well....I love zebra print and we are incorporating a little of it into our wedding. I also LOVE wine and my girls and I are famous for having wine nights. So...I ordered some wine charms that are purses and shoes and they are all zebra print (LOVE THEM) and we are going to make custom wine labels that say our date and "Bridesmaid" and then something about thanking them for helping make our day special and then we will just put those on a bottle of wine and give them with the wine charms. I'm excited because it is really personalized for our wedding and I think they will really like it. Both Chris and I's parents have requested no presents and we have NO idea what to do for groomsmen...Chris wants something different than a flask, beer mug, or money clip so....he is still thinking/searching.
    2. Highlight of the past week: (not weight, just something exciting that happened): Found SUPER cute bridal attendant gifts that I am very excited about :-) Also, my fiance just graduated in December and had an interview for a job that would double his current salary...he has his second interview today....crossing my fingers!

I've taken care of my girls and moms too. What did you decide on?*curious* I purchased earrings and necklace sets for the wedding itself and I'm putting them inside of Vera Bradley purses (Dan's sister collects them).

We've got the BM a weather station that mounts on the wall because he's into that. There's a spot to put a picture of us into it, which we thought was neat and really personalized the gift.

I have NO clue what to do for the Dads yet. My father likes guitars and oldies music a lot. Dan's dad likes collecting trains and oldies music and coffee. I'm hoping to spend around $50. Any ideas?

Shannon
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I know it is bit taboo to ask this, but.... can the gals **that are comfortable** share some info on their budgets for me? I am trying to figure out what I should set my budget at but heard that I should plan on going over my budget by a little. So I am wondering where to spend the money and I have the feeling that you all know more about this stuff than I do, so I thought I would just ask. Where are you spending the big bucks, where are you trimming costs, what are you DIYing? I think it might help me think about my budget to hear what others are concentrating on.
  • agoessli
    agoessli Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We are very lucky in that both of our parents are willing to help. We are having a traditional church wedding and expecting 175 guests....that being said my initial goal was to stay under 10,000 (it's hard to keep it low with so many people) but my mom wanted to upgrade some things so we are probably going to end up spend around 15,000...which I still think is pretty good for a wedding our size in Omaha...which is where we are. theknot.com has a budgeter tool where you type in how much you want to spend and it breaks it down telling you how much you have to spend on individual things and still stay in your budget...I REALLY like it. Hope that helps and happy planning!
    I know it is bit taboo to ask this, but.... can the gals **that are comfortable** share some info on their budgets for me? I am trying to figure out what I should set my budget at but heard that I should plan on going over my budget by a little. So I am wondering where to spend the money and I have the feeling that you all know more about this stuff than I do, so I thought I would just ask. Where are you spending the big bucks, where are you trimming costs, what are you DIYing? I think it might help me think about my budget to hear what others are concentrating on.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    [I hear ya...I'll post the name of the stree free bridal magazine I bought yesterday, maybe there's some tips in there that can help us...

Are you gals getting a lot of your ideas from bridal magazines or particular websites? I use both. I love the Knot, Brides, Bridal Guide, and Martha Stewart's Weddings, and Real Simple Weddings (this is the one I've used the most). The other magazines out there seem too uppity to me. I also use the Wedding Channel website the most. We have our wedding website set up through their site too.

http://fryfrantz.ourwedding.com

Shannon

OOO I just bought the real simple wedding magazine...i love it. It makes things less daunting, even telling you what style of dress will flatter your body...it was a great tool
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

My budget is 10 grand (Canadian). The best piece of advice I've gotten so far is pick 1 thing you're going to spend your money on...mine is the photographer, and low and behold i got him at half the price i was budgeting for. Or you can pick one big ticket item and your fiance picks one big ticket item. Don't forget to look on the internet...I know it sounds lame, but the dress you order can be done without the dress shop charging huge fees for playing middle man. I also bought my cake online...it was $12 lol I'm having a fake cake, just the bottom is real so we can cut it, and then haveing huge slabs of carrot cake for the guests. I don't know, I get tons of great advice from my sisters so maybe this isn't at all what you're looking for lol...I'm DIY'ing my center pieces (well my fiance is lol) and my invitations. That's about it for DIY
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options

Our budget is about $35,000-$40,000. Our biggest spending was the hall (around $18,000-$20,000), DJ (around $4,000), and photogaraphy (around $4,000). I think the invites and STD are areas where cost can be cut by DIY some parts (We are having ours printed but then we will put them together and in the envolopes.) I would make sure you have a fun atmosphere overall...no one is going to remember the little details but will remember how much fun they had. Just make sure you are happy with what you pick!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think my budget is going to be $3000. I might be able to get my mom to match that and have $6000 but I can't count on that just yet. My sister-in-law sent me a link for a very sweet little bed and breakfast about an hour away from my house and by looking at the prices on the web site I figure I can have a small Sunday wedding for just over $2000 including a night stay for the bride and groom. It also includes a small cake and a champane toast for 20 guests, plus two hours for picture taking time around the wedding site. I would love nice pictures and a dress so I think that would be the other $1000. I can use an ipod for music and put my brother-in-law in charge of that, lol. I would then ask both our moms to help with the honeymoon as a wedding gift.
    What is STD?
  • ehockstad
    Options
    1. Name: Liz
    2. Age: 30
    3. City: Bethlehem, PA
    4. Occupation: Teacher
    5. Wedding date: 7/10/11
    6. Fiancés name: Rob
    7. How long you and your fiancé have been together: 1 year, 10 months
    8. Heaviest weight: 190
    9. Goal weight and date: 160 by 7/1/11
    10. Favorite type of exercise: walking, volleyball, tennis, yoga
    11. Favorite healthy food: fruit, sushi

Brides on a Mission: week 3 (Please copy and paste this into your profile)
    1. Weight loss/inches lost this week: Not sure, the scale seems to fluctuate by 3 lbs from day to day. I am between 167 and 171.
    2. Highlight of the past week: (not weight, just something exciting that happened): Got a Snow Day, so extra relaxation
    3. Lowlight of the past week (not weight, just something that you need support with): Three Words: GIRL SCOUT COOKIES. I stress-ate a box one night and felt extremely guilty for 24 hours afterward. They're still in my house, calling my name.
    4. What is your first dance song and are you taking dance lessons/planning a “special” performance: I feel like i want to keep this secret :) No special dance. But I found out that my groom's brother is planning a surprise performance of our song - singing and on guitar. I'm trying to not let on that I know....
    5. About how many people will be attending your wedding: 120
    6. Any wedding news updates: Got a florist and officiant; ordering bridesmaids dresses from David's Bridal this week.
    7. How is your fiancé handling your healthy living changes: He's supportive...but remains a meat-and-potatoes kind of eater. It would be tough to go vegetarian in this relationship.
    8. How did you do with the week 3 challenge (adding 10 minutes onto each workout): I missed the Week 3 post but will be sure to try that next week :)
    9. Weekly wrap up: A good week except for over-consumption of girl scout cookies and work-related stress.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Your budget definitely depends on where your from. The cost of living will really dictate how much you can expect to pay for a place to have the wedding and the catering, etc. Originally we wanted to stay under 10k but it just wasn't happening with what I wanted for a venue so we ended up doubling it to 20k. We're splitting the cost of the wedding with my parents so it's not too bad for either of us but when it came down to it... it was either spend 10k for a wedding I was going to be disappointed with or spend 20k and get what I consider my dream wedding.. and we're all only planning on doing this once right!?

As for how the costs broke out, a little over half our budget went towards the venue and catering. It's an all together type of venue where they do the catering and provide the tables, linens, bartenders, servers, etc. I think the rest of the stuff we've been doing a pretty good job at keeping at a reasonable price but we still have quite a bit left to get. Flowers was one of the most challenging things because I wanted lots of beautiful real flowers but the prices were making me sick to my stomach. We ended up finding someone who is doing it for a very reasonable amount but I'm not getting quite as many flowers as I want. We will probably end up ordering some extra flowers and DIYing them around the venue.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I know it is bit taboo to ask this, but.... can the gals **that are comfortable** share some info on their budgets for me?]

My originaly budget was around $8000, but it's going to be around $10,000 when all is said and done... that doesn't include the photographer and videographer, which Dan's parents and my parents are paying for.

I'm not going to sweat it. I really try to stretch a dollar when I plan, so I know I'm doing the best I can with my budget. We mostly splurged on the photographer and videographer, since I've heard so often that your wedding day flies by so quickly that you barely have time to enjoy it. The stationary and table decorations are DIY, with the floral arrangement centerpieces and bouquets, I had a lady off of ebay do fake flowers.

Shannon
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    Please look for week 5, it's posted!
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    STD= Save the Dates
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to Week 5, if you're just joining this group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/164540-brides-on-a-mission-week-5

Shannon
  • teacherbride
    Options
    Getting to know each other (Please only fill this out if you are new to the group; copy and paste this section into your post. I will post this each week for new comers.)
    Hi I am new here, but a bride to be for September 3, 2011. Here are the answers to the questions, so you can learn a little bit about me.

1. Name: Ashley
    2. Age: 27
    3. City: Sandusky, Ohio
    4. Occupation: Teacher
    5. Wedding date: 09/03/2011
    6. Fiancés name: Justin
    7. How long you and your fiancé have been together: 1.5 years
    8. Heaviest weight: 168
    9. Goal weight and date: 135
    10. Favorite type of exercise: Elliptical and treadmill
    11. Favorite healthy food: Salad
  • pandora86
    pandora86 Posts: 12
    Options
    Getting to know each other (Please only fill this out if you are new to the group; copy and paste this section into your post. I will post this each week for new comers.)
    1. Name: Hayley
    2. Age: 25
    3. City: Bovey Tracey, UK
    4. Occupation: Full Time Mum
    5. Wedding date: 14th April, 2012
    6. Fiancés name: Adam
    7. How long you and your fiancé have been together: 6 Years in July
    8. Heaviest weight: 252lbs
    9. Goal weight and date: Wedding 13th April 2012 - 168lb
    10. Favorite type of exercise: Power Plate
    11. Favorite healthy food: Celery

Brides on a Mission:
    1. Week: ?Week 19 for me. Weight Loss/Inches Lost: 1 Stone/4 inches off waist.
    2. Highlight of the past week: Mothers day had champagne breakfast
    3. Lowlight of the past week: still odnt fir perfectly into a size 20
    4. Show me your bling! What type of engagement ring do you have and who picked it out: Gold with Green Peridot Gemstone
    5. What has been the hardest part in wedding planning so far: Finding a wedding dress i like without trying it on (due to size)
    6. Any wedding news updates: got menu tasting in a few weeks.
    7. What is your guilty pleasure food: wine
    8. How did you do with the week 2 challenge (adding more fruits and veggies to your diet): love to eat food with lots of veggies already. mmm
    9. Weekly wrap up: toning tables x3, power plate x2,