Other people and your name.

Options

Replies

• allroundthesun
    Options
    Mine is super easy, Sarah. But for some reason, people ALWAYS drop the "h". I have a habit now of saying "Sarah, with an h" when I tell people my name. Some people even move the "h" to a different spot in the name. I've had it spelled "Shara, Sarha, and Sahra". And my last name, oh boy. It's a real easy Mexican last name, but for some reason people always use a "s" instead of a "z". Even Mexicans! The "s" is the Spanish version, "z" is Mexican. If you know I'm Mexican, and you're Mexican, how can you get it wrong?

I once had a client name Sarah call, and before writing it down, I asked, "Is that Sarah with an 'h'?" Her response? "No, no with an 'S'!" :laugh:
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    my first name is Miranda and i have always been asked if i have been read my rights.
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Andrea but pronounced ONdrea. And my last name, gets tons of differnt spellling and pronunciation.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I gave my daughter a traditional Dutch name to honour my ancestry, and it's not that hard (said how it is spelt), but it is amazing how difficult people find it, and insult it to my daughter's face. Once when a person asked again and again how to say it, I replied "are you familiar with the works of Rembrandt, because it was his wife's name", I sounded like a complete tosser, but I didn't care, her daughter's name was 'Blaze'.

GG
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Juliet is kind of a double-edged sword. On one hand, because Romeo and Juliet is so universally familiar, everyone knows how to pronounce (with regional variations; francophones tend to use the French pronounciation, the last syllable seems to rhyme with nut instead of net in a lot of UK accents, and people sometimes put the emphasis on a different syllable than I do, but no one ever screws it up in general) and spell it (I get the occasional Juliette, but it's rare).

On the other, strangers, upon learning my name, seem to think it's wonderfully clever and witty to make comments like, "Oh, and where's your Romeo?" "And do you have a Romeo, Juliet?" "Ahhh, wherefore art thou, Juliet?" and to quote the most familiar lines of the play to me. Gee, I've never heard that one before, I'm so very charmed by your creative bon mots. :huh: Please, continue with your highly original and hilarious repartee and I'll keep working at not rolling my eyes so far back into my head that they fall out from the strain. :grumble: :tongue:

I get the same thing except people always spell mine like yours (Juliet instead of Juliette!). Then there's always the "clever" where's your Romeo or do you have a Romeo line.
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    I gave my daughter a traditional Dutch name to honour my ancestry, and it's not that hard (said how it is spelt), but it is amazing how difficult people find it, and insult it to my daughter's face. Once when a person asked again and again how to say it, I replied "are you familiar with the works of Rembrandt, because it was his wife's name", I sounded like a complete tosser, but I didn't care, her daughter's name was 'Blaze'.

GG

Is her name Saskia?! If so, what a beautiful choice you made in naming her, lucky girl! :heart: I love love love the name, I named my kitty Saskia, since I'm a good 10-15 years away from being able to name people. ;)

:heart: -- Juliet
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    my names Jeanette people always call me Janet used to bug the crap out of me now I just correct them and move on lol
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    My first name is Sharon. People always try to spell it with two r's. :huh:

And because of my Jersey accent (It's Shaaaaaron, not share-en) people always think I'm saying Shawn, for some reason.
  • chloe1974
    chloe1974 Posts: 18
    Options
    my 1st name is Colette and ppl ALWAYS spell and pronounce it wrong! Im always called Callet lol
  • jade3599
    jade3599 Posts: 22
    Options
    My maiden name is Loveless. When I got divorced even the judge asked me if I would be going back to my maiden name in which I replied "Yes", (upon realizing what it was) He then followed with "Alright so you will be 'Loveless' once again" -THEN HE SNICKERED!
    I had so many pickup lines with that name. Glad to be married and rid of it!
  • bryony_pie
    Options
    My first name is Bryony. I live in the US and I understand it is a bit more common in the UK, but I've literally met one other Bryony my entire life. It's BRY - yah - knee. I get really happy when people can actually pronounce it! I was named after a character in a book, and my Dad's best friend was named Bryon, so it was a good choice.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well my name is Ruth and I live in the bible belt so I tend to get that it is their favorite book in the bible.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty hard to mispronounce, I think. I've never seen it misspelled either. I have had people ask if I spell it with an I or an E though. In the late 90s/early 00s, people would make comments about Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and yes, that actually IS where my mom got the name from. My last name, on the other hand, usually only gets pronounced correctly by Spanish speakers.
  • mkspriggs
    mkspriggs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My last name is Spriggs, all my life since kindergarten everyone calls me Springs. I am now in the Army and it is on my shoulder all the time people look right at it and say Springs,lol very frustrating. Now my first name is Michael one of the most common names out there and always spelled the same but everyone always asks me if its ael or eal. lol
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My name is Megan. It get's pronounced Mee-gan or May-gan, but not often. And for some reason people always want to stick an H in there.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My name is Merrill. Everyone thinks I'm a middle-aged black man (I'm a 29 year old white woman). I had someone stop by my desk the other day while I wasn't there and ask a coworker if I was a man or a woman. I get letters/phone calls to Mr. Foster all the time (including my grade school, where i went for 13 years...) I love my name, but NOBODY (and I mean nobody) gets it right, so I've started responding to everything, just assuming they messed it up. I mean, I responded to Rachel the other day! I mean, they both end in 'L', but, really???

But I love my name. I was going to be Merrill if I was a boy or a girl. My parents both had ancestors on the Mayflower or some other ship like that (there's a memorial in Rhode Island to it), on my dad's side, Nathaniel Merrill, on my mom's side, Abel Huse. So I got Merrill Huse. I used to hate it, but now love it--how many other people can say they have that kind of history behind their entire name?
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Got it in one Juliet! I've always loved it and wished it was my name, but with my surname that would have been 5 "S"s which would have been way too many for a girl with a lisp.

GG
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kristina . . . that's Kristina with a K . . .enough said

me, too!! freakin' hate that!. i had a landlady who spelled my name wrong for the ENTIRE 3 months we were living in her house, even though my name was spelled correctly on the rent check. . .i even have cousins who still don't spell it right.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    my name is YELENA.....
    often spelled yolana, yolanda, selena, yalena, yeleni, yelene LORD! I don't even use it to make reservations or order coffee any more cuz its so annoying! and even when i spell it out they spell it their own way and even when i pronounce it for them they get it wrong.
  • traininglady911
    traininglady911 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am third-generation Robbie (female). I usually get "What is your REAL name?" Most people think it is a nick name.