have you always been overweight

Options
Im not trying to offend anyone I am just curious-
I haven't always been overweight I was very active and muscular, tight and fit. then I had kids dun dun du dun.. I lost myself in those first couple years I stopped getting dressed so i didnt know what size i was basically i forgot about me and cared for everyone around me I started to get really unhappy and then it hit me when i saw a pic of myself I thought oh hell no the entire time i thought i was still small but I was a damn moo cow thats what i called myself to be exact I had went from a size 8-9 to a 16-18 I felt disgusting- So I decided to kick it up a notch and lose the weight (this was before mfp) I cut my calories down and the weight started coming off and as that happened my sizes got smaller too I am now in a 10-12 which is great but still not happy with myself so I decided to lose more weight- I wanna just be smaller- I did stop obsessing about it about 2 months ago when my guy came home from iraq then I noticed my jeans getting snug again a couple of weeks ago I gained 9lbs since he came home and now Im back at counting calories and now this week I started my workouts again- I never want to get big again- I am in controll I need/ Have to make time for myself. I lost 30lbs before MFP and my main goal is to lose the 9lbs I gained back since my guy came home but i also want to hit my new goal of a total of 44lbs- so what is your story?

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to offend anyone I am just curious-
    I haven't always been overweight I was very active and muscular, tight and fit. then I had kids dun dun du dun.. I lost myself in those first couple years I stopped getting dressed so i didnt know what size i was basically i forgot about me and cared for everyone around me I started to get really unhappy and then it hit me when i saw a pic of myself I thought oh hell no the entire time i thought i was still small but I was a damn moo cow thats what i called myself to be exact I had went from a size 8-9 to a 16-18 I felt disgusting- So I decided to kick it up a notch and lose the weight (this was before mfp) I cut my calories down and the weight started coming off and as that happened my sizes got smaller too I am now in a 10-12 which is great but still not happy with myself so I decided to lose more weight- I wanna just be smaller- I did stop obsessing about it about 2 months ago when my guy came home from iraq then I noticed my jeans getting snug again a couple of weeks ago I gained 9lbs since he came home and now Im back at counting calories and now this week I started my workouts again- I never want to get big again- I am in controll I need/ Have to make time for myself. I lost 30lbs before MFP and my main goal is to lose the 9lbs I gained back since my guy came home but i also want to hit my new goal of a total of 44lbs- so what is your story?
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I was even a large baby. :laugh: My mom had to have a C-Section because I was so big(doc said it was dangerous to both me and her to do it natural).

Seriously though, I don't have a single memory when I wasn't one of the biggest among my peers.

The smallest jeans size I have ever worn is a 14. I'm a 16 now.

I can't wait to get below 14!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I was even a large baby. :laugh: My mom had to have a C-Section because I was so big(doc said it was dangerous to both me and her to do it natural).

Seriously though, I don't have a single memory when I wasn't one of the biggest among my peers.

The smallest jeans size I have ever worn is a 14. I'm a 16 now.

I can't wait to get below 14!

you can do it- I lost alot of inches at first before the pounds really started dropping so I was able to get in smaller clothes faster even though i still weighed alot- but everyone is shaped differently--
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Yup. I was 9 pounds at birth. I, too, cannot remember a time when I wasn't big. Even when I lost 30 pounds two years ago I was still big (and now I have found ALL 30 pounds :sick: ).
  • cody160
    Options
    :laugh: ya ive been about 20lbs over wheight from about 8-now
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was 5 pounds at birth, and never over 100 pounds until I hit my late 20's. It took about 10 years to get to my heaviest which was 170 something.

It really had a effect on me. I didnt go to social functions because I was SURE everyone would be pointing at me, like I was that durn important.

I missed a few years until I met up with a guy friend in the grocery store. He caught me in the isle and asked why I was avoiding him. I told him I was embarrased because I had gained 70 pounds. He laughed and took off his hat, exposing a shiny bald head.

He said " You can always lose weight, that stuff is never growing back!!"

From that point on I never avoided anyone!:flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Having a sit down job for a few years did it. That and eating too much fast food.:sick:

After having a C-section....it didn't help my stomach muscle tone either. I got it back thankfully......without surgery.

Once that went away, so did my fat.:happy:

I would never, though, let my weight get out of control. Denial is one thing....but geez.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I was 5 pounds at birth, and never over 100 pounds until I hit my late 20's. It took about 10 years to get to my heaviest which was 170 something.

It really had a effect on me. I didnt go to social functions because I was SURE everyone would be pointing at me, like I was that durn important.

I missed a few years until I met up with a guy friend in the grocery store. He caught me in the isle and asked why I was avoiding him. I told him I was embarrased because I had gained 70 pounds. He laughed and took off his hat, exposing a shiny bald head.

He said " You can always lose weight, that stuff is never growing back!!"

From that point on I never avoided anyone!:flowerforyou: :laugh:
    What a wonderful friend to do something like that...good for you for seeing the light Girlie:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • gnu1971
    gnu1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always thought I was overweight, but history proves this untrue. My grandmother handed down some nasty body-image problems to my Mom, and then on to me and my siblings. I have an "athletic" build (broad shoulders for one). I never wore the same sizes as my peers, but I wasn't fat. Until I was. Then, it was a way of shielding myself from some other issues. Now, it's just unhealthy. But that's why I'm here! And happy to have this community to turn to when I need it.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Having a sit down job for a few years did it. That and eating too much fast food.:sick:

After having a C-section....it didn't help my stomach muscle tone either. I got it back thankfully......without surgery.

I would never, though, let my weight get out of control. Denial is one thing....but geez.

How'd you get it back, Soup??....I've had 2 c-sections and that's my biggest problem area.
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I was always really active as a teen, and throughout high school...I did alot of after school sports, soccer, swimming, track...I was in GREAT shape, never over 120 lbs...Then I had kids. LOL, I was put on bed rest with my first baby, and gained 92 lbs! Never really lost it all, then had another baby, and only gained 25, but I was already over weight from the first one...2 1/2 years later, i'm finally making "me" time and trying to get healthy, I want to be around for my kids. No more lazy mommy. I used to make every excuse in the book just to sit down...not anymore...if I want to watch TV I have to do it while on my treadmil.
    You can do it girl...we all can, good luck to you and all of us out here trying to reach our goal.
  • GlassKisses
    Options
    Well, I was 10 lbs flat at birth. My mum had to have a C-section with me (obviously). She says after her and my dad divorced (like right when I started second grade) was when I started to gain weight...since then, I've always been overweight. I remember weighing 141 lbs in the 6th grade and thinking "wow, this sucks" when all my peers were like less than 100...in any case, it wasn't until the summer of 2007 when I realized I'd hit 225 that I freaked out and decided to lose some weight. Now I'm 177 with like 17 lbs to go until my goal weight and I'm pretty happy with myself. Not so self conscious, anymore. I like it. :smile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I got fat when my mom went back to work when I was 10. Dad forced her back full-time even though she wanted to be home when we got home from school. Life became very violent from dysfunctional sibling to dysfunctional sibling without mom in the house and I was the youngest-- we all know what flows down hill. I turned to food then-- and have used it as my crutch since then--

Looking back though-- I saw myself fatter than I was. My freshman year in high school I felt like a cow, and I was 155-- which is now my goal weight. Along the same lines, though, as the "Fat" thread, I saw myself as fat because my mother used to watch me as I'd walk through a room and told me to suck in my tummy, and put me on a diet at aged 10. Yes, the cheerleaders were 115-120, and I was heavier-- but they also had stick frames, and I have the frame of a linebacker for the Denver Broncos.

Point-- if I had been taught by my dysfunctional parents that I was beautiful even though I wasn't cheerleader material, even though I was growing up in the media age of Farrah Fawcett, even though I was never going to be as thin as "those" people, imagine how a life could have been changed--
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I got fat when my mom went back to work when I was 10. Dad forced her back full-time even though she wanted to be home when we got home from school. Life became very violent from dysfunctional sibling to dysfunctional sibling without mom in the house and I was the youngest-- we all know what flows down hill. I turned to food then-- and have used it as my crutch since then--

Looking back though-- I saw myself fatter than I was. My freshman year in high school I felt like a cow, and I was 155-- which is now my goal weight. Along the same lines, though, as the "Fat" thread, I saw myself as fat because my mother used to watch me as I'd walk through a room and told me to suck in my tummy, and put me on a diet at aged 10. Yes, the cheerleaders were 115-120, and I was heavier-- but they also had stick frames, and I have the frame of a linebacker for the Denver Broncos.

Point-- if I had been taught by my dysfunctional parents that I was beautiful even though I wasn't cheerleader material, even though I was growing up in the media age of Farrah Fawcett, even though I was never going to be as thin as "those" people, imagine how a life could have been changed--
    hug4.gif
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Nope.

How'd you get it back, Soup??....I've had 2 c-sections and that's my biggest problem area.

Man...it was hard girl! Crunches, crunches and more crunches! Alot of people believe that they don't have to do stomach work daily....but you do. Just keep doing it, along with a great weight lifting and cardio routine to build more muscle and fat, and it will happen.:bigsmile:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have always FELT big all my life, but looking back in pictures I see that I wasn't. I know weight is all relative, but looking at pictures of myself in grade school or even highschool I was not fat at all. I've always had a bit of a potbelly, but aside from that, I was fine. Too bad I didn't know that then.

I think the reason was, despite not being overweight, I've never been skinny skinny and apparently being a little more muscular and curvy and not stick thin as a kid makes ya feel fat amongst your peers. So oddly enough, the next time I go to the doctor, I'm going to check my chart and find out what I weighed in high school and make that my goal weight.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Nope.

Man...it was hard girl! Crunches, crunches and more crunches! Alot of people believe that they don't have to do stomach work daily....but you do. Just keep doing it, along with a great weight lifting and cardio routine to build more muscle and fat, and it will happen.:bigsmile:

Gawd you inspire me Soup! Like I told you I wanna be you when I grow up...but I'll let you keep your own head...I'm rather used to mine:huh: :wink:

But seriously....well I was but.......regarding me ripping your head off and swapping bods....hm....you're pretty fit & strong too I imagine..and probably run faster than I right now....so ah, never mind...:laugh:

A girl can dream...right?:huh: :laugh: :noway:

I think all your hard work has so paid off, you have a very good attitude about yourself, your body and you seem to like yourself, what a great example you are for so many of us that are currently working through that.

Thanks for being YOU:smooched: ....You Soup Nazi YOU!!:flowerforyou:
    http://www.tbs.com/video/0,,42017|314580|,00.html?eref=sharethisUrl
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Long story...I must sleep though...so I'm just marking this so it can show in my topics so I can reply in the morning...:yawn:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I have always FELT big all my life, but looking back in pictures I see that I wasn't. I know weight is all relative, but looking at pictures of myself in grade school or even highschool I was not fat at all. I've always had a bit of a potbelly, but aside from that, I was fine. Too bad I didn't know that then.

I think the reason was, despite not being overweight, I've never been skinny skinny and apparently being a little more muscular and curvy and not stick thin as a kid makes ya feel fat amongst your peers. So oddly enough, the next time I go to the doctor, I'm going to check my chart and find out what I weighed in high school and make that my goal weight.

I'm always curious when I hear so many of you say you have a goal of being the weigh you were in highschool, and this isn't just from peeps in their 20's but all ages.....My gosh I think now on High School and I would never want to go back, life has just gotten better and better with each decade:wink::smile: ....and being the weight we all were in high school? Is is because it was your (this is a statement to anyone ..not just you:happy: )...lowest weight thus far in life?

Somebody 'Splain it to me please....don't misunderstand...I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to be whatever weight they want...but I hear it so often on here......and I'm not sure I truly understand.....we were little KIDS in highschool....LOL why would we expect our bodies to be the same weight as way back then?

Ok, always a curious girl here....loving to understand someones brain and how their minds work....don't mind me....I like to pick brains and understand the 'whys' :smile: :smile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Long story...I must sleep though...so I'm just marking this so it can show in my topics so I can reply in the morning...:yawn:

Can't wait to hear:drinker: :happy: So go to bed already so you can wake up and share:laugh: :drinker: