how are YOU LOSING WEIGHT?

Options
I'm curious to know how you all are losing weight. Any tips or helpful information would be great :)

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I learned to choose healthier foods, more appropriate portions, and walked my *kitten* off!!!
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I workout 6-7 days a week by doing Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout-dvd, walking and riding a stationary bike for 30-45 min a day. I eat healthier and keep my calories at 1200 a day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eating fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy. Drinking nothing but water (12-15 cups per day). Getting refined sugar and processed foods out of my diet. Exercising at the gym when I can.

I'm not perfect 100% of the time, I will still have a soda or a cupcake once a week, and I don't get to the gym as often as I'd like. But, I'm sticking to my good habits as much as possible and it definitely makes a huge difference!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    LIVING a Low Glycemic/South Beach Eating Plan, at 1400 Calories per day; moderate exercise routine-every other day. Moderate to zero alcohol (meaning 1-3 drinks a month), lower sodium (2000mg per day), severely reduced artificial sweeteners.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I keep to my calorie goals and try to stick with nutrient dense foods, keep an eye on portion sizes, log my foods faithfully, plan my menu out two weeks in advance and plan my day out a day ahead of time, and exercise 6 - 7 days per week (walk for 45 minutes to an hour and the work out to various videos for 20 - 30 minutes to help with muscle toning). I also found it helpful in the beginning to de-clutter the kitchen by getting rid of ALL trigger foods and stocking the cabinets and refrigerator with plenty of nutrient dense foods. Additionally, I don't stress much over events that come up in life that get me off track for a day. Things are going to come up. Handle them accordingly and move on. It isn't always possible to make perfect choices. :)

Best wishes to you on your journey! :)
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    water aerobics (thursday and saturday), i also do the 2 mile (high calorie burn) walk away the pounds once in the morning before work and in the evening after dinner or maybe Zumbaa!!! walk walk walk....every (2) 15 minute breaks at work and 30 minutes of my 1 hour lunch... make yourself a schedule and stick to it! Good luck on your journey! :heart:
  • lgregson
    lgregson Posts: 2
    Options
    Make healthy choices.
    Little to no processed foods.
    Whole grains and veggies
    Lift weights!!!!! I was working out and eating right but when I added weights to my routine the fat started melting off. I know a lot of women don't want to bulk up but muscle burns more calories than fat, so it just makes sense.

Good luck and hang in there! You will have failures, everyone does. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it! It's a marathon, not a race! At least you have taken the first step! Good for you!
  • IdalieBeyer
    IdalieBeyer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cardio routines-running, interval circuit training (Insanity, P90X...etc), Pilates, Weight Training...

Drink water, no soda (no diet soda either that's worse)! Portion control. Cut back on sodium and sugar. "low fat" or "fat free" does no exactly mean better. Look at the label and ingredients, the less processed the better. I also don't eat out much and cut out fast food completely since Jan 2010. I didn't eat much fast food anyway but decided to take it out of my diet completely.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Eating right. Cutting part of my sugar out. Choosing lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains. Keeping my calories at around 1200 per day. Not skipping meals.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Walking when I can choosing stairs over escalators and applying the principle of standing is better than sitting and moving is better than standing. That's about half of it in addition I workout for 90 mins and eat not only to calorie goal but pay attention to what's in the calories.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    #1 Counting calories and limiting the total to what MFP says
    #2 Getting in intense workouts at the gym 5-6x a week... 2x a week weight training, 3x a week running, 2x a week eliptical
    #3 I always see the most results on the scale when I get in mini walks during my entire day. It's amazing how much burning those extra calories on those 10 minute walks makes!!! When I sit all day at work and don't have time to go for walks the scale does not budge. The gym is not enough, you have to be more active ALL day. Even if it's using the copier across the office instead of the one next to your computer.
    #4 Drinking water all day, keep water on hand!
    #5 Keeping stress levels low as possible
    #6 In order to be energized and feeling full all day you must eat a well balanced diet, good quality foods which we all know what they are!

No matter how tempting it is, do not try diet gimmicks like diet pills (unless recomended by a doctor), starvation diets, etc. Common sense is what works. It may be slow and a long time coming, but it will stay off this way and your newfound habits WILL STICK! Trust me, I have tried all the diets out there and yes I lost weight but gained back plus some. It has been 9 months, 42 pounds down but it is going to stay off this time because my new habits of working out and eating the right foods and logging on here have stuck!
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I've been at it since January just doing random Dvds (Tae Bo is fun w/Billy Blanks) and I've only lost 7 lbs. I've just started doing Turbo Fire. I'm in Week 1.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am a die hard Lesley Sansone fan and do the walk at home program up to three times a day. I mile is 15 minutes only and gets all your muscles working unlike a normal walk. Helps you to burn more.

I have slowly decreased my calorie in take. I am at 1400 now and I do t eat back my burned calories which is usually around a 1000 a day. I always try to come in under my calorie goal.

I cut out breads, pasta, deserts and anything with refined sugar/flour.

Drink lots of water too ;)

All the best!!!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    How I've lost weight and kept it off for years:

drinking water
    eat lots of fruits and veggies
    cook for myself and my family
    portion control
    NOT feel bad about eating "bad" things (Don't really have BAD foods)
    stop eating before I feel STUFFED...learning to eat till I feel satisfied, if I'm eating out, go ahead and get the to go box early so I won't sit and pick and eat when I'm already satisfied, while talking.
    NOT thinking of it as a "diet"....I don't diet. A diet is something you "go on" and "come off of". I'm never going to go back to eating fast food every day or eating till I'm stuffed again, like I did in college.
    Exercise

No earth shattering things there.

Someone was going to offer me a piece of cake at work the other day while on lunch. She said, "Are you dieting?" I said, "I just watch what I eat I guess." She offered the cake, I cut a piece that was about two bites. Enjoyed it. Didn't feel guilty. Accounted for the calories (much like a bank account) and went on with my day.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    I lost mine by using MFP's food diary to plan all my food before I ate it. I didn't cut calories drastically (set my goal for 1 pound a week and ate back ALL my exercise calories), but I was diligent about planning my meals and tracking everything, and I rarely deviated from my plan. I was really strict and consistent, but I firmly believe that is much easier to do if you've set yourself up with a decent amount of calories in the first place. I've seen so many people try to do too much too fast, and they may start off brilliantly, only to crash and burn before too long.

I was already a fitness buff. I just didn't eat right. If exercise is something foreign to you, I'd recommend you start moving, but moderation here is important too.

Good luck, and I hope that helps some!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Cut right down on wine, no bread or pasta, and only potatoes or rice once a fortnight or so. Not having carbs means I don't eat butter, so double whammy calorie reduction.

I am also doing 3 aerobic sessions and 2 weight training a week plus the 30 day shred when I can fit it in.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that has helped me is changing my attitude/relationship with food. I look at food now as what nourishes and fuels my body, not at what makes my tastebuds (necessarily) sing and dance. I cut out the diet soda, refined/processed stuff, and now eat pretty cleanly (not perfectly, of course), and eat lots of protein and veggies.

I exercise too, but I have always done that, yet I was unhappy with my body size/shape. Until I revamped my eating habits, I didn't see changes. They say that you can't out - exercise a poor diet, and it's so true.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do Herbalife. a shake in the morning & for lunch with healthy snacks in between & a big healthy dinner. Plus gym time. MAJOR gym time.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Make better food choices.
    Workout however I can(walk, jog, workout DVD's)
    Drink LOTS of water.
    Portion Control!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more! Sometimes it really IS that simple! :bigsmile: