can men and women...

Options
13»

Replies

• darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    Of course they can be. But there is always the thought way in the back of your skull wondering if there is more. Most of us have enough respect not to press the issue though and not hurt our friends.

Right, exactly. Well said! These thoughts are not usually all-consuming nor do most of us allow it to surface to the the point of being disrespectful, hurting anybody's feelings, or affecting the relationship in any* negative way. They just flash in our brain, then they're gone.

What exactly was the original question again? Heheh ... Yes, Men & Women can* successfully maintain a platonic relationship. But guys will inevitably go there in their head, now and then. If they're gentlemen, you'll never know they 'flashed'.

Curious, because women never have carnal thoughts about their male friends. angel4.gif

This.

I don't know about allya'll wimmin....I'z just offering my own perspective as just one male. But then, *sigh* maybe it's just me and I'm just an overly frustrated horndog that never gets taken out for a walk.

smiley-angelic008.gif
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    This is funny, guys always lie about this because they think it helps them score points with women. Most women who have a lot of guy friends have them in the dreaded "friend zone." Only on rare occasion will admit that they use this to their advantage because they know these poor saps will do "ANYTHING" for them (like help them move) oh, and don't believe for one moment that they don't get an ego boost out of it. Of course they believe themselves to be fully justified in this, because "he should have gotten the message that she wasn't interested," but that doesn't change the fact that they have knowingly taken advantage of someone and often without mercy.

I have no illusions about this, but a lot of guys refuse to give up the hope that these chicks will come to the sudden realization that all the guys she has been screwing over the years have been total *kitten*, and finally recognize what a great and caring guy he is. So, they continue to orbit around these chicks usually one of many that she has collected. Your best hope is that you get to be the "fallback" guy, or the "slightly better than being alone tonight" guy but that's like a 1 in 10 chance average lol.

There are of course exceptions to the rule, I know a guy who is what most women would consider pretty hot, and he has about 6 not so attractive female friends, but he has admitted to me that he feels bad for them, and is only friends with them because he thinks being around them gives them an ego boost which in some weird way alleviates his own weird sense of guilt about making fun of "ugly" girls when he was a teen. Now that's not so much an exception to the rule as it is almost a reversal of roles, and guess what, that happens too. I have met just as many women who are hung up on some guy who has no interest in them. The funny thing about that is that they ignore all the guys who really are interested in them and end up creating their own friend zone with themselves in the middle as the unattainable prize. They may not realize it at first, but at some point they do, and there isn't one of them who hasn't taken advantage of it.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Yes definitely. I have few close female friends. Some have been friends for 15 years,

Just don't date in your inner circle. I have learned that the hard way twice.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have a couple very close male friends. I can tell them anything and there are no 'feelings.' Well, except for one....

Recently one let me know he's been in love with me for some time, haha. ^_^ Of course I am thrilled!

So yea, they can just be friends. Until they fall in love. :smooched:
  • EdAmundson
    Options
    I think its funny. This question is as old and predictable as the chicken and the egg. A girl can feel nothing more than friendship for a male, but few, and I emphasize few, males can feel nothing more than friendship for a female. Whether he acts on it or not is another matter entirely. But most men only have girl friends they would want to be seen out with on a date. Few have unattractive girl friends. However, I do think it is possible to be friends from childhood or way back in highschool as an exception to the rule. But the sad fact is that is about that. Truth is I love my wife and don't need any female friends. Totally satisfied and always will be. Don't get me wrong, I do have very light friendships with other men's wives but we would never go out to do anything. That would just be creepy! Nuff Said!
  • EdAmundson
    Options
    Great/ I killed it.
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    Of course they can! :smile: Those usually make the best of friends.
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of female friends and it hasn't caused me any problems.

The more friends the merrier regardless of their sex
  • fuego84
    fuego84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not until after they've had sex, went through an awkward phase and then came back to each other later on.

lolll

Not entirely true. I mean, if you aren't attracted to someone, friendship is what happens first...but usually someone always wants more.

An old friend once told me, Men don't hang out with women to start book clubs. :laugh: I believe it!

Can you be "just" friends? Sure...but at some point it will get weird. I have a few old male friends. A couple I have slept with just to get that awkwardness out of the way :laugh:
    What she said :p