Doing it all for nothing? Feels llike it

Options
I just got back from my weigh in with my Dr. I gained 4 pounds. So in 35 days, or 6 weeks, I've lost 10 pounds and gained 4 back. I;ve busted my *kitten* every morning and evening, exercising. I've been staying on my restricted diet, drinking my water. I've been eating my exercise calories back. I've been doing everything right. And for what? So I could gain 4 pounds back in one week?

Sure doesn't motivate me to stay on this diet or exercise plan.

Replies

• allimac09
    allimac09 Posts: 33
    Options
    It could be hormones, water weight, a plateau, or you're gaining muscle mass. Don't be discouraged. This happens to a lot of people around 6 weeks. I bet by week 10, you will have some great results. It's pushing through when you don't want to or feel like you can't that makes all the difference in the world. GOOD LUCK!
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Did the Dr. have any input on why he felt you gianed it back? Are you doing any lifitng exercises; are you gaining some muscle? What about water weight? Have you been taking in a lot of sodium, .. Excuse me, but is it that time of the month? Sooo many thinngs can cause a shift in wieght when you are not expecting it. Maybe you need to cut back on how many of the exercise calories you are eating back.

Let me/us know what you find over th enext few days. Whatever you do, don't quit. Not now. You didn't put all your weight on in 35 days, losing weight can be a slow process. Don't over think it and just keep at it, eventually it will happen.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hard to say, check your sodium levels for starters, It's hard for anyone to check when your diary is closed.
  • bsw87
    bsw87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under or right at my calorie goal for the day. I try not to eat my calories gained from exercise. I've found this helps me. Don't get discouraged!
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    Since I have been losing, I have fluctuated a lot from day to day and week to week. I can easily pick up an extra few pounds from one salty meal! (never knew I was so sensitive to salt until I started eating healthy!)

Please dont be discouraged... you are achieving a healthy weight loss and fluctuating is normal!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Was your original weigh in you logged using the same scale at the doctors? I notice that so many scales are so different in the truth/lies they tell. I also don't really like the scales at the dr office because in most cases the nurse is in so much of a hurry they don't really wait for the thing to stop moving before they say one thing or another. Don't get discouraged!! You'll make it eventually.
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    Did you use the same scale last time to check your weight? Changing scales can make a difference. What abt the time of the day? Also, it's best if you weigh in without any clothes. Were you were a lot of clothes? That might have contributed too.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You can do this. Even if the scale is not your friend today, you're doing the right things for your health. And 6 pounds is a great start! Don't give up. I get frustrated, too, because this damn process is so slow!!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i completely agree with allimac09... i was doing really well for the first month or so, then nothing. i think i gained a good 4 to 6 lbs. i didn't really change anything and the weight started dropping again. don't get discouraged. the human body is a complex thing. you'll start losing again.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    Is your scale usually 100% accurate with your doctors scale? Was it the same time of day that you usually weigh? Were the clothes you were wearing the same weight as usual? There are a lot of factors that contribute! It's very possible that even 4lbs is just normal weight fluctuation.

Don't worry too much about it! I know it seems rough but the scale slides around a lot. If you are consistent the weigh will come off. =] Good luck!
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you were on a different scale?
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements! In 2 weeks I've lost 0 lbs but an inch off my waist. ESPECIALLY if you're exercising that much I'll bet anything you're replacing fat with muscle and muscle being more dense than fat, you look like you're holding steady or even gaining.

Are your clothes fitting any differently? Do you feel any different? See if you can tell any difference in the way you look in photos.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First of all a pound a week average is healthy weight loss. With six pounds you have that. Second, did you weigh at the doctor at the same time you weigh at home? I weigh first thing in the morning, if I weigh at night I could be 3 pounds heavier. Lastly, remember that you did not put weight on in a month. The healthy way to take it off is slowly then keep it off. We all want a quick fit but this is a lifestyle change and a long term change not an overnight fix.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    Sometimes Scales Don't Agree With Each other
    Whenever i Go To The Doctor It Always Says I Weigh More Than My Home Scale.
    Stick To One.
  • wildeyezz
    wildeyezz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't let the this one weighin bring you down. If you have truly followed your food and exercise goals, then you have nothing to worry about. Sometimes the scale can be misleading, depending on what time you weighed in, what you were wearing etc.
    Just stay focused on eating right and exercise and the scale will catch up eventually.
  • Shantre
    Shantre Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Besides if you decide not to count your calories at all you will most likely gain even more weight back. Keep with it. Don't worry too much about the scale at this point. Make sure you are recording everything you eat and all of your exercise and make sure you are recording the calories accurately.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Often, your weight will change in a few days. _Not all is lost, though. You´re logging what you eat, and that is VERY Important. You are finally finding out what you REALLY eat.
    There are lots of different things you can try.
    -Eating less at dinnertime
    -Making sure you didn´t just drink a lot of water before weighing yourself
    -Being more precise at recording both what you eat and your exercise (trying to determine whether the numbers are accurate)
    -Watching your sodium, like someone else mentioned
    -If you don´t do it already, eat more times a day, even if you just have a teeny tiny snack (there are 25 cal mini snack options)
    -Have hope for at least a week--the next time you weigh yourself, it usually turns out much better
    Don´t give up! You´ll learn a lot from all this! When you start losing weight again, and figure out what happened, you´ll feel very proud of yourself.
    All in all, the doctor´s scale is not really what you should depend on. We usually go to the doctor at the worst time of day (late in the day, after you´ve eaten a ton, and drunk a lot of water) You should rely on the same scale you always use.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. There could be MANY explanations to the gain; however, don't give up! I know it's frusterating, for I went through a plateau and wanted to just give up but then I would have felt worse. Just keep up with staying within your calorie range, work out and if you are not seeing any changes within the next couple of weeks then I'd personally go see the Doc. Maybe shock your body by doing a more intense workout one day, take a day off, then does some strength training and then some circuit training.,...ect. Also Maybe eat your calorie allowance but then one or two days this week eat a couple hundred more. It'll come!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yup it could be the scale thing. EVERY time I went to the Dr.s I was about 3-4 lbs more than my home scale was.

So after the Dr.s office, I remembered my weight and adjusted my scale to be the same.

My scale is set for about 4lbs more, just like you, and so I know it's more Dr. accurate.

I'm sure that's all it is, so although I completely understand your frustration, you should adjust your scale :)
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Plus, the exercise is good for you regardless of whether you lose weight or not! So don´t give it up! :)

The only way for you to fail is to give up.