I'm not a lush, but can't I just drink my extra calories? (y

Options

Replies

• Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I need around 2000 cals a day after my exercise. Sometimes I don't get my work out in until late afternoon leaving tons of calories for the evening. It's much easier having some wine than shoving food in my face haha. I just make sure I get my 12-16 or more glasses of water during the day.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    This just might be the answer to my "holy crap so many cals left over and feel like I am eating too much" LOL :singing: bottoms up bottoms up ;P
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    I call vodka calories okay calories, especially if they include a bit of citrus.

Love it!! :drinker:
  • williediesel
    Options
    All you people are crazy........!!!!! I love it !!! I'm with you crazy too
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    When we have beer at home (maybe 1 or 2 times a month), I make sure I know how many calories each one is so that I can save accordingly.

Bottoms up!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Shoot....sometimes I skip dinner just so I can drink more! lol

I think we must be related. Screw dinner,pour me another drink! * Adds you as a friend and gets another beer*
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Shoot....sometimes I skip dinner just so I can drink more! lol

I think we must be related. Screw dinner,pour me another drink! * Adds you as a friend and gets another beer*
    Yay, I've found long lost kin!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I think it's absolutely fine to drink your extra calories from time to time. I have even done an extra work out so that I could drink more if I knew I was going to be going out ;-)
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked!! There are times when I'm trying to get to 1200 calories (on a day that I've been really good clean eating) and really don't feel like eating any more or adding carbs! I'm Sailing with the Captain and diet coke as I write! I just don't do it very often :drinker:
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    As long as it's in moderation, I don't see the harm. You're getting in shape, not joining a convent. Go for it!

^This

yes.
  • katdon88
    katdon88 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm With Ya!:drinker:
  • WeatherGurl1129
    WeatherGurl1129 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy the occasional beer with dinner, but only if I have enough calories leftover at the end of the day. For all the talk here on MFP about "eating your exercise" calories, I'd say it's better to indulge to reach your calorie goal than to risk going into starvation mode. :laugh:

I'm a Sam Adams girl myself. Love me some Oktoberfest! :drinker:
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hahahah! made my day! I'm sure it's not nutritionally sound, but I've done it. Actually, I do the opposite--if I know I'm planning to go out for drinks I make sure to burn some extra calories ahead of time, but the result is the same, right?

i do that too! add a workout or eat less other meals so that i have calories for the bar when i go out. this is a lifestyle change, meaning my diet shouldn't stop my life from happening or being enjoyed :o)
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Okay. Seems there are more out there that think like me than I thought

It's all good

Yep I do it almost nightly. Some days I'm under, some I'm over. :ohwell:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I've been in great shape for years and have at least 4-5 vodka/club sodas a week and a couple of glasses of (dry) wine...sometimes a martini or two.

Ain't nothing wrong with it!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've def. been known to do this. In fact, a lot of nights I'll save myself 2 or 300 calories for drinks.

That said, I'm abstaining this week to see if it will help me get over a little plateau I've reached.
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    Options
    My new favorite is Fireball Whiskey (cinnamon flavored). I found that it's only 69 calories a shot and 0 grams of sugar :) One of those with a water back seems okay.

I haven't had barely a drink or two in the last year, trying to cut those extra calories. I'm known as the 'non-drinking wife'. But if it's only 69 cal a shot (as I recently found out), I can certainly have one when I go out! We are out a lot since my spouse is a musician, and it gets really boring sometimes drinking only water or diet coke all night :(
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options
    Ahhh...I'm totally a lush and wish I could say yes.

Calories are calories, plain and simple. When you add certain things into the mix like alcohol though it will affect your weightloss beyond just a caloric breakdown. I posted this somewhere else in another topic a few days ago but, remember that your body will burn alcohol FIRST, before ANYTHING else in your body.

That means if you have alcohol in your system (and yeah it stays there longer than just 1 hour per drink) your body and liver are working to detox it from your body. THEN your body metabolizes any chemicals/additives from your foods. THEN it will work on stored fat. So as long as alcohol in your system, your weightloss is at a halt.

That being said, I am super craving a martini now.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hey, I do it!! It I'm short on cals I more than welcome a drink!! I say why not?!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Moderation in all things, right? I'd say go for it as long as you're not drinking more than is good for you.

One little caveat I've discovered - as you lose weight you might find your alcohol tolerance goes way down. I don't know if this is because your body mass is lower so there's less fat to absorb the alcohol or what, but if it's been a while since your last drink then take it slowly. You may not have the same tolerance you did before.

Anybody else have this happen to them?