Does MyFitnessPal really work? (Newbie)

Options

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Your sodium level seems fine, it doesnt make you gain weight as such but it makes you retain water, have a pizza night and see what happens (actually don't, its not nice to see 3lb+ gained on the scales overnight!)

to track your progress use a combination of the tape, the scales and how clothes fit, if the scale hasn't moved measure yourself or try something on. And don't forget womens hormones can cause a weight gain so be prepared for that one and don't let it get you down, its only for a few days

The measuring tape has proved its working, keep it up and well done!
  • nicolej216
    Options
    Yes sodium as alot to do with it that can cause you to retain water and Baby weight has alot of water ..Just a thought.Did you exersize before Dont worry about a scale number get your self a measuring tape .
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    18 lbs is not a lot to lose I would adjust your weight loss to 1 lb to .5 a week. Read the notes on the top of each forum it will give you tips on diet and exercise Don't forget to eat back your exercise calories. Drink Alot of water and drink green tea. If you want to know if it works just read the success forum for motivation.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi, it does work but perhaps your 1200 calories are a little low. I have been doing this since January and have lost 16lb to date, I started this diet after speaking to my doctor as I needed to shift 49lb due to a back problem. I am currently sticking to between 1400 and 1500 calories. Unfortantely at the moment I am unable to exercise due to foot tendonitis caused by too much exercise so for the last 5 weeks its all been down to diet only and pleased to say I have still lost 1lb a week. Don't give up stick to it but try eating a little more.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of your questions would be answered if you read through the following.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It will work if you work it.....
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for the reply.

No I picked that amount of calories :)

Follow the calories that MFP suggests or what your dr. has told you to eat, exercise moderately and it will work as long as you're eating nutritious foods (low in sugar, low in sodium, high in nutrients). You have to fuel the body. People choose really low calories, exercise like punishing their bodies will help their efforts and then wonder why nothing is working.

These are the things to remember:

THE BASICS OF A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE CHANGE:

First and foremost, stop thinking of it as a diet. A diet is something that has an end date. This is a lifestyle change. This is how you keep yourself healthy for the rest of your life.

Motivation is really about willpower and don't let anyone tell you it isn't. It isn't about being perfect. What I mean in this instance about willpower is that it is about telling yourself I WILL do the following:

I WILL eat the proper amount of calories
    I WILL get at least 7 hours of sleep (lack of proper sleep messed up the metabolism)
    I WILL drink 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water so that I can feel fuller longer, rev my metabolism and not dehydrate during workouts
    I WILL exercise for 45-60 minutes per day at least 5 days per week. We all have to begin somewhere with consistency, though so even a 15 minute walk (about 1 mile) counts. When you're not energetic for it, tell yourself that you will at least doing 15 minutes.
    I WILL eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies, incorporating veggies at every meal.
    I WILL track sodium intake, especially since sodium is sneaky and turns up in places you might not expect.

Those are the basics. Remember that these willpowers are merely habits. If you mess up, do the next right thing. One bad meal does not a bad eating day make. Planning goes a long way on this journey.

Remember, motivation is like bathing. Neither last, so you have to do them every day. This is a daily and sometimes hourly re-dedication but it does get easier.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    But I wanted to lose weight quickly :(

I wanted to drop quite alot of weight by next month as it's my birthday.

So because I've picked the lose 2lbs a week one does that mean it's likely not to work?

Just as you didn't gain weight overnight, you also won't lose it overnight. This is a lifestyle change, not a "diet" with an expiration date as you've indicated.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 cals a day or more when I do exercise which is less than what I normally eat. I also eat all homemade food, I never eat ready made stuff as it's full of rubbish!

Yesterday my sodium level for the whole day was 1,436mg is this too much? I don't know anything about sodium. How does this affect how much you lose etc...?

Yes that makes sense about putting on weight when you first start exercising. I have just measured myself and I have lost between 1/2 an inch to an inch everywhere within like 5 days, so it's definatly working :)

Are you drinking enough water?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yes it works if you hit your goals.
    Proper nutrition works every time.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? If so your calories might be too low and your body may be trying to hang onto your body fat.

Maybe it's water weight.

Overall, inches matter most (in my opinion!)
  • ksky10
    ksky10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know the feelling - hang in there. I woke up this morning and was 1lb heavier and I've had negative calories. Then realized I had more salt at dinner last night and could be retaining water weight. If you're exercising for the first time in a long time (after having a baby) you are probably losing internal fat (around organs) and your muscles are strenghening. Muscles weigh more than fat, so it's not just a weight thing. You're feeling better, so keep up the great work. The scales will get in line.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Plus your calories might be too low and your body is freaking out and you metabolism is slowing. I would definitely stick to the calories MFP suggest and be patient. I have lost 23 pounds on MFP. I love it. It is the only thing that has ever worked for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Why should I do that? I just though that if I put it to 1200 cals a day then I would lose weight faster?

Losing weight fast isn't what's best for your body, and your body will fight you tooth and nail.

18 pounds isn't much to lose. Your close to your goal already. Don't try to lose any more than one pound a week. When you get closer to your goal, change your settings to lose 1/2 pound a week.

Personally, even though I'm not TRYING to lose more than one pound a week, I'm averaging about 1.5 a week. Sometimes one. Sometimes a half. Sometimes two. But I barely lost a thing when (at most a half pound a week) when I had very restricted calories and didn't eat back my exercise calories.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support :)

So how do I let MFP pick the calories for me? Is it the bit where I fill in the goals and then on the drop down menu where it says 'lose 1lb a week (recommended)' ?

I just chose the 'lose 2lb a week' bit as I have read alot of people on here using that one, so I thought it was fine. Don't really see why it's not to be honest.

The 2# a week is for people who are obese. If you only have 15-20 pounds to lose you really need to set a realistic goal of 1# per week. 2# a week is a LOT when you're already smaller.
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your replies :)

No I don't drink nearly enough water as I should do but I'm going to start as everyone on here has said it makes a big difference.

No I'm not breastfeeding so I don't think it's to do with my body storing extra fat.

& I really really know that I should set a realistic goal of losing 1lbs a week as 18lbs isn't much to lose. But since I have seen the inches come off me I'm worried that if I start eating more calories that I will put it back on. I really can't bring myself to do it!

In my head I've got that simple thought of the less you eat, the more exercise you do, the more weight you drop. I honestly didn't know that there's more to it than that!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I was on 1270 calories a day and I lost quite a bit. But I would plateau every other week. Now that I only have 16 pounds left, I dropped my goal to 1/2 pound a week. I actually started losing faster. Your body needs food. If you stress your body by too little food, your weight loss will be counter productive. Since I change my goal, I have more energy to work out and I am not stressed about staying at 1270.
  • Nikki1609
    Nikki1609 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm returning after falling off the wagon many times, but this time im back and staying!! Yes this does work and yes you will lose weight if you stick to the RDA's and exercise. I have like 10+ stone to lose. Due to medical issues it's like trying to move a mountain not impossible but takes a long time :D hope ur all doing well

Nikki
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It does work! Keep trying....iy does take time and perseverance though. I started last June and have lost 52lbs :) You can do this!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    *Points to my ticker*