NO SUCH THING AS CHEATING

Options
I posted this same topic a while back, but I, EVERYDAY, see people state that they had ice cream and thus were "bad" or that they were "cheating." I firmly believe in this mindset, and I hope everyone can see this someday...
Thus, I'm posting this again for more to see. Even if I can help ONE person to stop obsessing over the fact that they "cheated," I think it'll be worth it. ....

So, earlier today I posted a status stating that I was going to have some takeout pizza for supper... I made the comment that I had plenty of calories left, and I would probably only eat a couple of pieces anyway.
I got some super supportive comments about it!
I also had some people post their concerns (for instance...eating unhealthy food all of a sudden could upset my stomach...which is true).
I also had people say that they've BANNED pizza or that I was only ALLOWED to have two slices max.

So, I posted this as a comment on that status. However, I feel I said some fairly important things in here. I think everyone should take a second to read it...

First of all...I've gone "off" my diet before, and, yes...sometimes it upsets my stomach. (Chinese food is the worst!) By the same token, I have yet to totally binge on anything.I've been doing MFP for over 50 days and I've only ever gone over my calorie goal ONCE. I'll probably only end up having a couple of slices because I'll be very full after that.

Secondly, I don't believe in "cheating" or "not cheating." This is MY life. I'll eat what I want, when I want. I'm choosing to eat better (and less), but I will NOT deprive myself of anything. If I started depriving myself...I'd never have stuck with the diet as long as I have. Life is too short to deprive yourself...ask my brother.

Thirdly, I am in no major hurry to lose the weight I'd like to lose. I'm not doing this diet/exercise program for a quick-fix...I'm doing this for ME! I want to, as a general rule of thumb, treat my body better. If it only takes me a year to lose the 40 or 50 pounds I'd like to lose...HECK YEAH! However, if it takes me three years...I'm not going to sit in a corner and mope. I know that I've made the choice to better my body, and I have made great strides towards a better me.

Replies

• kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    PREACH ON!!!
  • randi50
    randi50 Posts: 112
    Options
    you are sooooo right!!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thirdly, I am in no major hurry to lose the weight I'd like to lose.

Yeah, this is the big one to realize ... crashing isn't good for your body (or train your mind) ... though I have to admin, I have to keep reminding myself of this fact :)
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything you said. Im glad you spoke your mind.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Ive been trying to lose weight for more than 2 yrs now... Feb 8th, 2009 was the day I realized I had to make a change... But you're right... if you deny yourself so much, you will be unmotivated... its okay to eat whatever sometimes, BUT i found if you do it too much, it will not do you any good so you gotta be careful of when you do that.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear! This is exactly the right attitude! We are in this for the rest of our lives, kids. No one, and I mean no one, can survive on plain chicken breast, celery and water every day. Life is meant to be lived and for most of us, that means celebrations will come along and good (as in tasty, fattening and maybe even "unhealthy") foods will be served along with the joy and laughter of spending time with our family and friends. You don't have to deprive yourself every single day of your life. The next day, after you've had a good time, you just go right back to eating the way you do every other day, without guilt and without remorse because you HAD A GOOD TIME. And really, that's what life should be all about.

::steps down off her soap box::
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you! Although I do have a goal in mind of when I'd like to lose the weight...I think I'm doing just fine. I still eat pretty much whatever I want. Yes, I don't drink pop anymore, but it's not like I've banned myself from doing so. I still "sneak" sips of my husbands pop, or will randomly decide to have one myself. I stay within my calories and have been doing great. To each their own though!
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Girl I so agree with you!!!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I write about the same thing on my blog

enjoy your pizza

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/qtpiesmom
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    well said!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Excellent post.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I still eat "bad" unhealthy foods during my entire weight loss process. If I'm going to try to maintain the weight i've lost for the rest of my life then I am not going to deprive myself of things I love, as long as I am within my calorie goal. It's not a diet!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    The other day I had some whole wheat pancakes and posted a topic about it. I had one person respond "oh i wish I could eat those".. UM YES YOU CAN! On that day, I had 3 pancakes, hashbrowns and turkey bacon and was still under my calorie intake. So, if you want to have something like pizza, ice cream, etc..do it ONCE in a while or else you will crave it all the time and never stick to your diet.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Love it. That's just how I feel. I want to eat better workout more and get into shape. I want to be healthier, more in shape and drop some weight yes, but I also want to live my life. I want to eat what I like. I am going to do it. I'm not on a diet. I'm on a way of life and I like my life the way I like my life. I workout hard so that I can fit in what I'd like. :)

Tell em sister....
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Well said!
  • map1972
    map1972 Posts: 13
    Options
    Well said! I agree.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I SO needed this tonight. THank you for posting and speaking the truth.
    Although I was way too bad at lunch today...... I will stop beating myself up over and move on.
    It is a life long journey, and we aren't going to make perfect choices every day for the rest of our lives.

I just need to keep it in perspective and not continue on a binge.

THANK you <3
  • farmwife80
    farmwife80 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!! Deprivation is no motivation!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    exactly.. well said *S*

i intend to eat this way for the rest of my life... i deny myself nothing that i really want... i simply plan to accommodate it. No cheating..no banning... it's all 'just' food and 'i' am now in control of what i choose to eat, it no longer controls me.

i rather like it this way *grins*
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks you are so right!
    I even had hotdogs the other night for our one night a week TV movie night. That's what my kids wanted. It was a treat. We don't eat that way everyday and I think it's important to not exclude anything. Everything in moderation!