I knew I had to lose weight when....................

Options

Replies

• kartunes
    kartunes Posts: 46
    Options
    I knew I had to get fit and healthy (rather than just lose weight) when I couldn't even get up 3 flights of stairs without feeling like my lungs were going to collapse!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I knew I had to lose weight when....

1) My fiance proposed and I pictured my current body in a wedding gown

2) When my weight prone areas (thighs/butt) became so full that my body started a muffin top

3) I was pant shopping and had to try on pants a size up

4) When I hit 150...never again

Ditto EVERYTHING.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    1. When I was attempting to get dressed for work last summer. I tried on all my capris (I did NOT wear shorts) and only one pair fit - a size 18W - and it was TIGHT. I'm only 5 feet tall. I was headed toward elastic waisted pants at 5 feet tall!! I cried.

2. I saw pictures of myself at a Mud Hens game (local AAA baseball) that my dad took. I looked miserable in the July heat wearing what could pass as a maternity tank.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I couldn't go up the stairs without gasping for breath. I also had been getting chest pains and heart palpations even when laying down.
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I started having sharp chest pains and pains in my left arm and palpatations. I'm only 19, but I was absolutely completely terrified. I went to the doctors and thank GOD it wasn't anything heart related. It was pleuracy (an infection in the pleural lining of the lungs) that was causing the chest pains, the palpatations were from anxiety over the chest pains, and I'm pretty sure the left arm pains are from repetitive movement from working in a mailroom. What scared me was the fact that all of this started at the same time, which made me think it was heart and weight related. Even though it was a false alarm, it still terrified me and made me want to prevent the real thing from happening.

I have also recently come across some research pertaining to obeisity that I realize can happen to me--I want to get pregnant one day and have no preventable complications, and I don't want to get diabetes and have my life shortened and burdened by that. I want to be healthy for me and my family, both the one I have now and the one I'll have someday soon.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    1990's: ...when a pair of snap-on suspenders i was wearing (in the early 90's) snapped off the back of my pants and popped me in the back of my head, knocking me to the floor. I thought I had been shot!

2010: ...when the doctor said, "If you don't lose weight now, you'll be taking insulin."

God bless!

Shawn
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I had a good laugh at yours!!

Mine is when I saw pictures of myself with my mom and daughter and couldn't believe how big I was!! I had been able to see what I wanted when I looked in the mirror, but the pictures didn't lie.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I knew I had to lose weight when......After going into the store 2 nights previously and buying about 10 containers, yes 10...of Ben & Jerry's "Toffee Heath Crunch Icecream", only to go back and buy many more but there were out because I bought them all up previoulsy cuz I would eat at least 3 pints a day! I wonder what the other shoppers thought of me weighing in at 315lbs and buying up all that icecream? My god, that was so bad.

I have many more reasons but the icecream was bad enough! Another biggie, I couldn't even fit into my fat clothes anymore, they were ALL too tight! Thank God I finally made this decision to become healthier and lose weight!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I always told myself I'd never wear double-digit clothing sizes. Then I started wearing a 10. And it wasn't the end of the world. Then a 12. And that was okay. Then 14s started to get snug.

There was no way I was crossing over into plus sizes at 5'3". I didn't like the way my body felt anymore.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I started having sharp chest pains and pains in my left arm and palpatations. I'm only 19, but I was absolutely completely terrified. I went to the doctors and thank GOD it wasn't anything heart related. It was pleuracy (an infection in the pleural lining of the lungs) that was causing the chest pains, the palpatations were from anxiety over the chest pains, and I'm pretty sure the left arm pains are from repetitive movement from working in a mailroom. What scared me was the fact that all of this started at the same time, which made me think it was heart and weight related. Even though it was a false alarm, it still terrified me and made me want to prevent the real thing from happening.

me too.
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ...a lady at Trader Joe's asked me how many months along I was...and I wasn't pregnant! (I have had three kids so my belly is my biggest problem area). I kept my composure until I got back in my car and then I burst into tears.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    . . . when I stepped on the Wii Fit balance board, and it said "OOOOO." Then I heard the "O" word -- Obese!
  • WWW1979
    WWW1979 Posts: 5
    Options
    sitting in my car eating french fries I remembered having one last package of ketchup....i couldn't find it anywhere. the harder i looked the madder i got. when i got to my destination and stood up, the package of ketchup was under a fold of skin!
  • ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    I knew I had to lose weight when...... every time i took a picture with friends (and i love taking pictures), that when someone else offered to take the picture for us I said "thanks but no thanks" The reason for it was because I knew exactly how to hold the camera so I didnt have a double chin and I DID NOT want a full body pic.
  • aaronjarvis
    aaronjarvis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I went home for vacation, & my blood pressure was taken & it was off the charts. Not to mention I was starting to avoid pictures. I want t be there as long as possible to see my son grow up!
  • nitequeen427
    Options
    1. When i began having knee problems to the point that i couldnt squat.
    2. When i was told by a neuro surgeon i would inventley have to have back surgey but right now i was too fat . So come back a see me when u loss all of that belly fat.
    3. When i found out i have degenative disc disease and thinning spine at the age of 35.
    4. and final wake up was when i lost my only brother at the age of 39 due to complications caused from being morbid obese for 15 years. I have a 7 yr old daughter who is following mommys bad footsteps in the past and she is already getting teased at school. I want her to see a better mommy and wanna do better for herself too.
  • th1nkth1nmama
    Options
    I know I had to lose weight when................. my 10 yr old told me the night we were going to the circus that he didn't need to ride the elephants, that he could just ride me. I was 5 months pregnant at the time but I was very overweight while I was pregnant. 20 mos since I had my baby boy and I'm smaller then I was pre-preg but still have a long ways to go.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am looking at all of these messages from you guys and I am so proud of ALL of you. I cannot imagine what a daunting task it is to need to lose 100 pounds.... I would like to lose 20-25 but even at 15 I would be happy. I am amazed at the motivation you guys have! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I knew I had to lose weight when I noticed it was getting harder and harder to do the "Paper Work" after dropping a deuce. I literally would cramp up and breath like I had run a marathon.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I knew I had to lose weight when I started really thinking about my sisters wedding that is in June, which is going to be at an amusement park. I want to be able to ride some rides with my daughter. 2 years ago I used the excuse that I had to keep the baby - now the baby is old enough to ride some of those rides too and I want to ride them with both my girls.

Also, because I love my girls and hate being a watcher when they are playing - I plan to be out there playing with them this summer and from now on.