Getting protein without the fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    unless you are building muscle..which takes a calorie surplus, you have no reason to eat that much protein. we should only be getting 40-60 grams a day. getting too much protein is hard on the kidneys and can cause neurological problems.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/14563169/ns/today-today_health/

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234

http://www.livestrong.com/article/313539-side-effects-of-ingesting-too-much-protein/

ps yes you can get too much protein..

I don't know where people come up with these ideas. Protein is only hard on your kidneys if they are ALREADY DISEASED. I can't imagine where you got the idea that protein induces neuological difficulties.

And the idea that the average adult needs 40 grams of protein per day is simply ludicrous. Sure, if they happen to weigh 80 pounds, and I don't see many 80lb adults. a reasonable active person needs half their bodyweight in protein grams per day.

Americans' irrational fear of protein all goes back to the long discredited 'lipid hypothesis'--the mistaken idea that fat makes you fat, raises your cholesterol and gives you heart disease. As Americans tended to favor meat sources of protein, we developed an irrational fear of it because it so often came with fat (which really terrified us). So we carbed ourselves into obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
  • 1976me
    1976me Posts: 10
    Options
    i do a protein shake every morning almost, seen great success. i have read a lot on here and done my own research and one thing i took in was do the shake, and juat make sure to get in plenty of water with it, no problems
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Not one person has suggested fish.....non oily fish is a great source of lean protein...and oily fish is an even better source...and as the fat in oily fish is Omega3 good fat should not be counted anyway in your fat totals.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Salmon is a good natural source, and I like soy as well, and of course beans and lentils as someone else mentioned.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Not one person has suggested fish.....non oily fish is a great source of lean protein...and oily fish is an even better source...and as the fat in oily fish is Omega3 good fat should not be counted anyway in your fat totals.

Yes! A great suggestion!
    I've upped my fish intake and include wild pacific cod, wild halibut, basa & rainbow trout. I also eat sardines in olive oil but that may be an acquired taste for some. :happy:
  • sunflowerkb
    sunflowerkb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't as tricky as it seems. Suppliments are great but natural is best. I eat Alvarado Street sprouted whole grain bread, and sometimes Kashi Go Lean - Cereal (Naturally Sweetened Fiber Twigs, Soy Protein Grahams and Honey Puff), 1 cup. That alone has 13 g. Egg beaters as many have said. I know things get a little boring. Take time to walk around the grocery store. Look at the most natural foods you can. You will find the highest value in nutrition for you money. It's worth it. Search the net. Google protein. Here is a list I have on my fridge that I plucked from the internet a while back on about.com. I know it's hard to watch the calories at the same time so mayby seeing it this way, at a glance, can help you find your favorites and jot them down for yourself. Like nuts, super high in calories and fat but worth it in nutrition, there is good and bad fat so watch that too. I eat a little bit of everything in a week to keep it interesting or I get bored. Getting in my protein makes a big difference in how hungry I am all day. I lost 50 lbs a few years back and am at er' again, protein was the main component. Good luck!

Turkey

Ground turkey isn't on my list but I eat many ground turkey type items, there is as much protein in ground turkey as there in in ground beef and you benefit from this because there is so much less fat.

Chicken

•Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
    •Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    •Drumstick – 11 grams
    •Wing – 6 grams
    •Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish (I LOVE FISH!!)

•Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    •Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

•Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
    •Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    •Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    •Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams

Eggs and Dairy - More fat but necessary nutrition. Low fat is good but fat free just adds something wierd for a substitue and takes away the good stuff.

•Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    •Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    •Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    •Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    •Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    •Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    •Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy) Have fat but healthy fat. Everything in moderation!

•Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    •Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    •Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    •Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    •Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    •Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
    Nuts and Seeds
    •Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    •Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    •Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    •Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    •Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    •Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    •Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    •Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams (your body does not break this down, ground is the best way to take in flax or buy flaxseed oil)
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Have you tried edamame beans? You can get them shelled and frozen at Trader Joe's and other markets. A half cup alone has 13 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat, give or take. Just put them in boiling water, then eat!

Another option is nutritional yeast. 2 tablespoons gives you 7 grams of protein, and 1 gram of fat. You can sprinkle it on lots of different foods and mix it in to sauces. I put mine on baked potatoes, tofu, in my salad dressing, etc. You can buy it in the bulk section of Whole Foods, or most natural food stores.

As a vegan, I am always looking for ways to incorporate protein into my diet!
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    there is an amazing website called dietdirect.com. I ordered some bariwise stuff that is low calories high protein yummy and inexpensive. One of my favorites is grape flavored protein powder that i mix with a crystal light and water. I has 70 cals, 2 carbs, and 15 grams of protein.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Whey Protein
    Skim Greek Yogurt
    Chicken breasts (Turkey has a higher fat content)
    Casein Protein
    Cottage Cheese
    Fish (Fats are good)
    Lean Steaks (Ribeye for example, marinated flank steak, sirloin)
    Egg Whites

Also, limit the amount of processed carbs you take in. Have a nice bowl of real oatmeal, veggies and a little bit of fruit. A lot of the processed carbs have a lot of fat, which makes staying under fat limits with high protein sources a bit harder.

Fats =/= evil :)
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The reason I am aiming for 160 g of protein each day is because I don't want more than 40% of my calories to come from carbs (also 160 g), and I don't want more than 20% of the calories to come from fat, so I'm left with 40% of my cals from protein. If I don't eat that much protein, and I want to make my calorie goals, I have to eat either more fat or more carbs--neither of which are good options for me. I am at risk for diabetes, so I do not want to increase my carbs.

I do eat a serving of protein at every meal, but even if I had a full serving of chicken at every meal, that is still less than 100g of protein for the day. I will look into the whey protein powder. Thanks everyone!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am deleting this post because it got posted twice. Sorry.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I get my proteins from 99% fat free turkey breast.

2 slices (56g/2oz) of this turkey breast have 50 calories, 0.5 gram of fat and 11 gram of protein (22% of daily value - %DV). I eat 4 or 6 slices.

My second source of protein is grilled chicken breast salad (similar numbers).

When possible I eat fish instead of grilled chicken.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I Try to shoot for about 25 to 30 grams per meal. I eat 6 times a day. I usually do whey 2 or 3 of those meals.