Coffee Creamer

Options
ziezio
ziezio Posts: 4 Member
Okay.. I just had an aha moment! My calories have been good, exercise on point, water good and no weight loss.. I have not been beating myself up over it, but was going with the flow.. I wasn't gaining anymore, so that was good. Then this morning, I thought, well let me just see how many calories are in the cream I use.. Well, it's 35 calories a tbsp. I put at least 5 in my mug (1.5cup).. ugh! I had no idea it was that many calories!!!! No wonder i am not loosing! I have been sabatoging myself with my coffee.

What do you do to reduce the amount of cream used? What are some subsitutes? Ideas? Anything? Any help is appreciated!

-drowning in cream in virginia..

Replies

• tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Switch to non-fat milk
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think there is any acceptable substitute for real half and half in a cup of coffee, although many people use artificial creamers or milk. So I just carefully measure my half and half when I have coffee (those little measuring cups that come on cough syrup are AWESOME for this as the TBSPs are marked). Plain old half and half is only 40 calories for a 2 TBSP serving.

But with the amount of cream you put into your coffee, you might really enjoy lattes (non-fat). You can pick up a home espresso machine for around $40 at Target. I have a latte every morning using 8 oz skim milk, and it's 80 calories.

ETA: You must be using some sort of flavored creamer to hit those calories. Why not buy some sugar free syrups for the flavoring you like and 0 calories? Torani and DaVinci both make nice ones.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Use less! Or try coconut milk creamer, its only like 25 per tbsp
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I weeded myself off of creamer. - I didn't think I could drink my coffee without it, but have adapted just fine. I think non-fat milk might work - otherwise you could try to go cold turkey and leave it out :)
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I use Unsweetened almond milk in my coffee. It has only 35 calories in 1 cup.:smile:
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing! I love coffee mate french vanilla. I wasn't logging it at all because I didn't think it would make that much difference. Finally when I decided to see how much I was getting - it was like an extra 200-300 calories! I almost sharted myself. So now I'm ::very:: careful about measuring it and am too looking for good alternatives after I use it up.
  • sweebeesmom
    sweebeesmom Posts: 148
    Options
    I noticed that too recently. I don't drink coffee all that often, but I was SUPER surprised at how many calories are in it. the "light" version isn't that much lighter either. I used to put a TON in, but I've cut back to 2 Tbsp a cup.. and I always use splenda, or whatever fake-sugar is around.

i agree with the non-fat lattes too. I have a tassimo brewbot and it's about 60 calories for a latte I think... (about the same as 2 Tbsp creamer. :)
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    I changed to drinking it black years ago. I don't even miss the sugar & cream.
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    If you like the sweetness with the flavor, you can try the Torani sugar free flavored sweeteners. You can usually find them in coffee houses and I just recently bought it in Walmart as well. I'm not much of a "sweet" coffee girl but I do like what creamer does to my coffee. I put I spoonful of Cool Whip free into a cup of coffee. That is less than 10 calories and it actually makes my coffee 'frothy"...I love it!
  • jasonroeser
    jasonroeser Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I switched to Nestles Coffee-mate Fat free french vanilla creamer 25 cal per tbsp. Some things you cant give up, I like my coffee the way I like it. Just include it in your calories now, maybe take a walk around the block to earn extra calories. Good luck - J
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    We use Fat free half and half .

2 TBS = 20 cals
    30mg sodium
    3g carbs
    2g sugars

I only need 1 TBS per cup of home ground Starbucks French Roast, so I would say this may be a solution for you as it seems you like to 'Whiten' your coffee quite a bit.

Hope this is a good suggestion.

ZH
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you have to use that much creamer, the coffee may be too strong. I like the sugar free coffeemate creamers & use about 2 tbsp.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Always the hidden calories that set us up for failure!

I use skim milk and artificial sweeteners. That saves about 160 calories on a double double and mucho fat.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    This is the very reason I don't drink coffee anymore. In order to drink it and like it, I had to load it up with TONS of flavored creamer and sugar or sweetener. UGH! It tasted more like a dessert after I was finished doctoring it up. Now I just forego coffee altogether.
  • DanieGirl74
    DanieGirl74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love the Skim Plus half & half or milk. Nice thickness, only 15 cals for 2 tbs! And none of the funny artificial stuff in some of the other fat-free half&half's on the market. I think it's Farmland Dairy that puts it out.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you like the sweetness with the flavor, you can try the Torani sugar free flavored sweeteners. You can usually find them in coffee houses and I just recently bought it in Walmart as well. I'm not much of a "sweet" coffee girl but I do like what creamer does to my coffee. I put I spoonful of Cool Whip free into a cup of coffee. That is less than 10 calories and it actually makes my coffee 'frothy"...I love it!

You can get the Torani syrups at amazon, too: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_grocery?_encoding=UTF8&node=16310101&field-brandtextbin=Torani
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Another friend of my gave me this suggestion, bc I too was drinking too many cream calories! She told me about these expresso syrups that are sugar free/calorie free, ( they use these syrups in coffee shops ) and I use them with fat free 1/2 & 1/2. Now my coffee has only 20 calories! I really love these syrups, the only problem was I couldn't find them in a store and had to get them online, which really wasn't a problem. They come in 750ml bottles and quite a few flavors. My favorites are vanilla,chocolate,white chocolate and Irish Creme. The brand is Monin. The website is www.corainc.com they cost $6.50 a bottle plus shipping. To me it is worth the cost! I can not give up my coffee! When I order them now they come in 2or 3 days! Hope this helps! :drinker:
  • ziezio
    ziezio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I feel like there is hope afterall. All the advice has been helpful! I don't know that I can give up coffee.. I do like it sweet.. I think the coffee is too strong.. I am going to make it using less coffee.. I will also give the syrups a go and I like the idea of using whipped cream..
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! :) I am going to look into that Slim Plus. I try to avoid any sugar free products due to the artificial sweetners. That's bad stuff, AVOID it as much as possible! ;)
  • portwood2218
    portwood2218 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use flavored creamers too. I actually don't want to have to give them up completely. But since using this program, I've started to measure what I put in to my cup in the mornings. Now I measure out 1tbsp per cup and use one packet of splenda instead of my usual 2-3 tbsp per cup (with no added sweeteners). I still get the flavor and the sweetness, but without the added calories. :)