Just a lil fact about Splenda:

Options
I don't use splenda but I've heard of alot of people who do. I prefer to use real cane sugar, but I figure post this so it gets the word out for those who are unaware of the facts behind splenda.

Splenda is a natural sugar because its made from sugar, right? Wrong! Splenda, also known as sucralose is indeed made from sugar. But, the sugar is replaced with chlorine molecules making it taste sweeter than sugar. Your body doesnt recognize chlorine so it doesnt metabolize it, hence the no calorie claim! Studies done on animals show a 40% reduction of the thymus gland as well as swelling of the liver and kidneys!

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    For that reason I use either a small teaspoon of unrefined sugar or honey. Artificial sweeteners upset my tummy as well :embarassed:
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Thank you for posting! This is exactly why I don't use Splenda, although I don't use cane sugar either. Instead, I use truvia and agave nectar (the least processed version).
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Cane sugar OR Setvia for me! :)
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Thanks! That was the scare i needed to stop using sugar free products. Think i'm going to start making my own iced tea with stevia. :)
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use either sugar or stevia.

Did you read the history on Splenda? They were trying to formulate a new pesticide (hence the chlorine, which is toxic). I'd rather be fat than consume POISON.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Here is all you need to know about Splenda. Ready?.........It will kill you.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Splenda just tastes gross....that right there is enough for me to pass.
  • kbirk1963
    kbirk1963 Posts: 42
    Options
    I use truvia as well. I did use splenda until i heard about the swelling of the kidney's and liver.
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    honey is an excellent alternative as well :)
  • bwesser
    bwesser Posts: 61
    Options
    I agree completely! For those people who prefer to use a sweetner because they're diabetic... I recommend using any brand of sweetner that uses the stevia plant. Very very sweet, but not actually sugar (or chemicals).
    My friend is very into going completely organic, and she made me some iced tea with stevia (the brand she used is called Truvia and you can find it in most grocery stores!) and it was absolutely delish!
  • Dteg
    Dteg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    stevia or agave nectar. NO refined sugar or artificial junk for me.
  • smhuber
    smhuber Posts: 16
    Options
    I am glad someone is trying to get the word out about fake sugar. It worries me that people use it and that it is sold in stores. If I need sweetness, I use real sugar or honey.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't use splenda but I've heard of alot of people who do. I prefer to use real cane sugar, but I figure post this so it gets the word out for those who are unaware of the facts behind splenda.

Splenda is a natural sugar because its made from sugar, right? Wrong! Splenda, also known as sucralose is indeed made from sugar. But, the sugar is replaced with chlorine molecules making it taste sweeter than sugar. Your body doesnt recognize chlorine so it doesnt metabolize it, hence the no calorie claim! Studies done on animals show a 40% reduction of the thymus gland as well as swelling of the liver and kidneys!

Actually this isn't accurate.

Splenda is made from sugar. The three hydroxyl groups (oxygen and hydrogen) on the sucrose compound are replaced with chloride ions, which are electrolytes found naturally in the body.

Dosing for these experiments are generally not physiologically relevant and thus far there are too few conclusive studies to show this sweetener as being harmful at levels that are able to be consumed on a daily basis.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I love you songbyrd
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    if all I ate was a brick of splenda every day, exclusively, I'd probably get an enlarged liver too.

Lucky I only put a packet in my tea once a week or so....:noway:
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    Ahhh! I use splenda in everything!! I thought it was better because it was made from sugar. Guess I better switch to raw or stevia/truvia! Thanks for posting!!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Actually this isn't accurate.

Splenda is made from sugar. The three hydroxyl groups (oxygen and hydrogen) on the sucrose compound are replaced with chloride ions, which are electrolytes found naturally in the body.

Dosing for these experiments are generally not physiologically relevant and thus far there are too few conclusive studies to show this sweetener as being harmful at levels that are able to be consumed on a daily basis.

Exactly. Those studies were also done on rats, and literally ALL they ate was massive amounts of Splenda. I guarantee you, feed those rats any large quantity of sugar or splenda or salt or anything-- and their liver/ kidneys will malfunction.Their bodies simply can't process all of it quick enough. Furthermore, the anatomy of a rat is totally different than a humans-- you cannot extrapolate findings from that study to human physiology.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Just a little fact about songbyrd: she knows what she is talking about. Her entire education is human digestion/nutrition. Taking her advice has never steered me wrong yet.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, Splenda is a synthetic food product. If you are fine with eating synthetic foods, then by all means, use Splenda. If you are not OK with it, use pure sugar or no sweetener at all. There are so many different people eating different things on these boards and there is no one path. I avoid all fake foods but if one packet of Splenda in a cup of coffee gets you through the day, then go for it. You aren't hurting me any.

It is nearly impossible to find accurate and UNBIASED information on any fake sweetener on the web, no matter how much I see it copied and pasted straight from Google and presented as fact on MFP. Educate yourself and make a decision about what you ingest that YOU feel comfortable with. If that includes eating Splenda, then so be it!
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love these debates. Everything will kill you in excess (including water). Very few things will kill you in moderation. It is more dangerous to live and breathe in an urban area for a lifetime than it is to consume warfarin (rat poison aka anti-clotting factor used therapeutically) occasionally.

Eat what you like and be smart about it.