People are treating me differently... sad but true

Options
After only a (almost) 30 lb weight loss, people seem friendlier, and more interested in me. It makes me sad. I have a couple people who seem jealous - that makes me very uncomfortable. All this wierdness is getting to me. I also purged my closet of some clothes that don't fit anymore - some of my "favorite" shirts and pants. Its all starting to feel too real. Don't get me wrong - it feels great - but still uncharted territory for me, and I feel scared - naked feeling or something. I still have 55 lbs to go - what if I don't make it? What if I do??? What if I do, then gain it all back like I have every other time I've ever lost anything? Just had to vent a little.

Replies

• Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! The change and the extra attention is a little weird sometimes but make sure you stay grounded!!! You got this.. Just remember why you're doing it! To be healthy and for yourself. This time is different because you are different! Don't lose focus of that! :flowerforyou:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Those feelings are common. You will go through a mourning stage...mourning your old self. Thats a good thing as long as you don't allow yourself to get stuck in that mode. You will definitely find that through your journey you may lose some friends and you might gain some new ones. Just know some people can't deal with our change. Especially if they are overweight and have yet to do something about it. You just keep focus no matter what. Don't allow their problems with your change to become yours. They need to deal with themselves. You just keep moving forward.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I notice this, too. I'm 100% introverted, so the attention makes me a little uncomfortable. Probably one reason I didn't mind gaining the weight in the first place.

I have a friend who has told me she's jealous... but when I try to talk to her about how I'm doing it and how it can work for her, she just rolls her eyes or dismisses me.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It is sad, isn't it? I forget where I was one day, a bagel shop or something. It was busy and I was standing there waiting for someone to take my order. Not only did it take for ever for someone to notice me, they all but forgot to get my order together too. I've never felt so invisible before. It was awful. Kind of like I was so repulsive to look at, everyone just ignored me or something.

I don't want to be invisible anymore. You better believe it when I get to where I want to be weight-wise and I walk into a room, everyone will notice me. :wink:
  • sarcastje
    sarcastje Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    people that treat you negatively now are jealous and may not be good friends to be around right now. You are doing this for you. Granted, people are shallow pieces of crap at times, but its not about them, it is about you. You have gotten so far already. Congratulations :) It will be so worth it. It will be easier to shop for clothes, you will feel better, happier, ... Keep your head up x:wink:
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    I want to tell you, you will make it. Dont let the newness of your situation change the journey you have been on.
    We cant be accountable for peoples actions or reactions toward us. I know it is hard when we see people behaving differently towards us when we have been successful, but please remain strong.
    I know I let that effect me negatively a couple years ago, when I dropped about 70lbs and then I gained it all back and then some. It was not worth letting peoples attitude affect my mindset and what I was driven to do at that time.
    So please enjoy your successes, and embrace the new feeling and emotions that come with your weightloss.
    Become that person you have always been on the inside, and enjoy your life.
    Remember you are worth it!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know a roller coaster of emotions, we can make it and hold our head high knowing we worked hard to get there. I had a friend say to me "If you lose 110 pounds all the guys will want you" I pondered that for a moment and said to him, "if you don't like me fat don't bother with me when I'm thin". I think a persons value is determined by what's inside not the outside. I am a carefree , fun loving person. I have a good job, good morales, wonderful friends , and wonderful family. I don't need someone who will love me when I'm thin, Love me as I am no matter what I weigh. Just take the compliments with a thank you , and be proud you can get rid of clothes. You can get to your goal and with a new way of living healthy we can keep the weight off forever.
  • 612gemini
    612gemini Posts: 37
    Options
    Congratulations on your 30 lbs, that is awesome! As far as jealousy from others is concerned that is their issue not yours, dont let them take the wind out of your sails! Allow yourself to feel good about all of your accomplishments!
    It is sad that people seem more interested but unfortunately that is the world we live in. Keep up the good work & take it one day at a time.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight about ten years ago and the way I got treated (especailly by sales people in dept. stores) was like night and day compared to the "fat" me. Even though I shopped then exactly as I do now (off the clearance racks) it was almost as though they rolled out the red carpet when I walked in the door. Sadly, now that I am back to "big" the opposite is true again.....*kitten*.
  • SixWeeksToSkinnyJeans
    Options
    Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. You are not the first nor the last person to have friends treat them different when they start becoming successful. I call them "mean girls" -- ever pound you lose will make them feel bad about themselves. This is such a huge problem that I put a section on the subject in my upcoming book.

Try not to take it personally. It's their problem not yours. But here's what's going on. Your success is a mirror reflecting their own life. You are reflecting everything they want to be but are not willing to do what it takes to take control of their lives. They are unwilling to get uncomfortable to achieve a goal. Girl... press on! Don't let the negative nature of others keep you from your promise. I saw that you put a biblical quote so I feel comfortable saying, "If God is for you, then who dare be against you." Keep pressing on your journey.

On a personal note: If these people keep being not so happy with your success their season in your life might be at its end. You deserve to be around people who will support and love you always.

Congratulation on the closet!!!
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the above statements!! You have to do it for yourself and no one else! You will get to points where you are down others where you've never been happier its kinda like a rollercoaster at times, but you can get through it!! I myself have experienced both people being jealous and others being nicer than they ever have been. Sad part is its mostly family members. I love this site because so many people are so nice and encouraging! Just try to not to take ignore the people who are being negative and use it as motivation to work harder, this is what works best for me!! Never doubt yourself or give up either and you will get to your goal before you know it! Good luck, and you've done awesome thus far!!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    i totally get it. I went to my usual coffee place this weekend. The same barista who always serves me served me again... except this time he was very chatty and flirty, it makes me uncomfortable also...
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Keep it going! Proud of you for your weight loss. It is a huge step, and the purging of clothes does make it seem real. I have been going through the same too. Strange to try on 'old' clothes and they don't fit right (yea). I have my husband who supports me with my weight loss journey and he encourages me to do my workouts, yet I have my mom that thinks I am obsessed/crazy with my food choices, exercises, etc.
    I say just keep it up, be proud of all your accomplishments!!!!
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I found that to be so true when I was down to 132 before the lap band failed... some women were giving back handed compliments ...men were just different...not rude or bad...maybe I just noticed more not sure...but I for reals had a boss who never spoke to me till I was thin....

But congratulations on your success! it's all for you!
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    This doesn't go out to anyone specific....

It's easy to say that people are reacting negatively because they are jealous, but sometimes (and I have seen this myself many times) an attitude changes happens with the weight loss that isn't exactly positive. I have told the story before on here about a friend I had who was 300+ lbs when we met, and she was the nicest person you would ever want to meet, and she wasn't starving for relationships either. After the weight loss, she became quite snobbish toward others, and after a while everyone had finally had enough of it and stopped going around her. Her explanation was that she had become more confident in herself, but, there is a big difference between confidence and just having a nasty attitude.

I know I know.. it's easier to blame any negative reactions on everything/everyone outside of your self, but regardless, sometimes the problem is internal and not external.

To put it in plain Engrish, what happens is that when we see how others act toward us, and toward others and they fit an image in our mind of how we want to be it gets embedded within our subconscious. The result is that we often adopt those same attitudes that we witnessed and often experienced when we feel we have reached our goal. This doesn't just happen with weight loss, it happens with all kinds of things in life... How many of you have ever stopped in the middle of a sentence and thought to yourself, "wow I sound m like my parents." No we don't mean to do it most of the time do we?

It's kind of funny, being fat is socially unacceptable, and fat people are regarded with a certain level of disdain by society at large, but a large percentage of the population is over weight, and I have long noticed that even fat people treat the thin/fit pretty people better than we treat each other most of the time. Not talking about mfp, but out in the real world.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    You are feeling kind of fragile at the moment and that is to be expected.
    You are changing and it is a new experience to do it for REAL this time.
    You can do it. You ARE doing it. You are making the changes and this time for the duration.
    Remember this journey is YOURS.
    Don't let anyone else ( thoughts, looks, or opinions) change the way you are starting to see yourself.
    Remember you are worth it and remember your goals.
    Best of luck - we are right there with you
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I know I know.. it's easier to blame any negative reactions on everything/everyone outside of your self, but regardless, sometimes the problem is internal and not external.

To put it in plain Engrish, what happens is that when we see how others act toward us, and toward others and they fit an image in our mind of how we want to be it gets embedded within our subconscious. The result is that we often adopt those same attitudes that we witnessed and often experienced when we feel we have reached our goal.

I agree that a lot of it is just perception but at the same time a lot of it isn't. People really do treat you differently when you are fat....even other fat people.

You raise an interesting point though, I have known several "former fatties" who did a 180 (for the worse) in terms of their personalities once they lost weight. Mainly people who had once been too shy to own their sexuality suddenly became overly promiscuous and started displaying attention-seeking behavior, cheating, and making bad choices.

I even Watched Heavy a few weeks ago and there was a very large women who relied on her husband for nearly everything then she lost 150 lbs and dumped his *kitten* because she said she "wanted more".

That's not to say that all or even most who lose a significant amount of weight will go to these extremes. I think it just goes to show that there really is a huge emotional/mental burden that remains even after the weight is gone.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Any change from what we're used to can make you uncomfortable at first. It's just a matter of sticking to it long enough for you to feel comfortable. Better to lose weight and feel this way than to gain weight, right?!? Keep it up!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think you need to try some positive visualisations instead of imagining the worse case scenario.

What if by losing the weight you gain more confidence and are more assertive in your life?
    What if by losing the weight your outside now reflects your inner beauty?
    What if by losing weight you are now recognised at work as a valuable and needed contributor?
    What if by losing weight you find yourself looking for other goals you never thought possible?
    What if by losing weight you looked in the mirror and loved and admired the outcome?

See, we all have problems, difficulties, tragedies in our lives, I like to challenge people to see the silver lining and what positive possibilities which can open up. We need to concentrate on what we have control of, not other people's reactions or 'what if' scenarios, because what we worry about is rarely where our big nasty surprises come from.

GG
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options

To put it in plain Engrish, what happens is that when we see how others act toward us, and toward others and they fit an image in our mind of how we want to be it gets embedded within our subconscious. The result is that we often adopt those same attitudes that we witnessed and often experienced when we feel we have reached our goal.

I agree that a lot of it is just perception but at the same time a lot of it isn't. People really do treat you differently when you are fat....even other fat people.

You raise an interesting point though, I have known several "former fatties" who did a 180 (for the worse) in terms of their personalities once they lost weight. Mainly people who had once been too shy to own their sexuality suddenly became overly promiscuous and started displaying attention-seeking behavior, cheating, and making bad choices.

I even Watched Heavy a few weeks ago and there was a very large women who relied on her husband for nearly everything then she lost 150 lbs and dumped his *kitten* because she said she "wanted more".

That's not to say that all or even most who lose a significant amount of weight will go to these extremes. I think it just goes to show that there really is a huge emotional/mental burden that remains even after the weight is gone.

OP here - wow, this exchange really hit a nerve. I think for sure that weight loss will cause us to feel more confident and this added "confidence" can sometimes mutate into something that isn't healthy. I am so glad I read this because it really made me think. Maybe I am perceiving jealousy that doesn't exist - I have to admit, I've been probably acted a little annoying since I hit another 10 lb milestone (220). I've been driving my husband nuts asking him if he can tell yet (I know he can! Ha ha!)

I think my character could use a little looking at and a "new diet" of its own. Maybe this is a good time to get out some good selfn improvement books or something.