Near 400 to 220ish.

Options

Replies

• bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Awesome job bud, seriously motivating stuff!
  • maryritt529
    Options
    You look awesome!...and you are funnier then roger Moore!!
  • amm703
    amm703 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep it going.
  • LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    well done! Love your humour :)
  • markymark39
    Options
    congrats - great story!
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Lol you are hilarious. And you look really, really good!!! Awesome job! (:
  • yazminetw
    yazminetw Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!! Keep up the good work
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You look wonderful. Keep it up :)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Nice!!! Keep up the good work.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Great job and keep it up.
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    Great, Great Job!!!!! And I know it is for a life time!!!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    Great Job !!!! Keep up the hard work...
  • stark23x
    stark23x Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. It's always uplifting to get such great comments! WARNING: This is gonna go long...

Couple things people asked: How'd I do it? No secret. You already know. Eat less, move more. At first I didn't care two wet rat's *kitten* about what I ate, just as long as I ate slightly less of it. I ate like your typical overeating American couch monster. Ice cream and chicken wings (with creamy, succulent OMG STOP TALKING ABOUT IT blue cheese!) were my two vices. In the first few months I worked at eliminating those. Then I started exercising (by which I mean waddling on a treadmill, because at near 400 lbs what I did wasn't really walking!).

After that it was just small, gradual changes. More veg, lower fat meats, cutting some snacks here and there, learning to get through longer periods without grabbing a bite. Drinking water. LOTS. OF. WATER. Increasing the exercising. Eventually I got to the point where joining a gym and lifting weights seemed viable. Started small and slow. The only "secret" is to make one or two small changes at once, make them into habits, and THEN make another change. I see people hit a wall because they try to do it all at once. "THAT'S IT I'M ONLY EATING SALAD AND RYVITA FOREVER FROM STARTING...NOW!" And then they get three hours in, freak out and go hit KFC for a family meal.

Or maybe that was just me. :)

What I have not done: eliminate any food or food groups from my diet. I eat pizza. I eat ice cream. I eat refined white flours and sugars. The difference is, now I eat them once in a while, not all da every day. For example, the other day I grabbed a big fresh tuna steak from the market along with an avacado. I'd been eating pretty well that week, and I was looking for a small reward. And then I saw these organic sea salt potato chips. A small bag, 300 cals total for the bag. I'd done cardio that morning and lifted weights that afternoon, so in the cart those chips went. I got the salty/crunchy thing I wanted, but the portion was controlled. even if I wanted more, too bad. The bag was empty. That's a big part of it...controlling portions. And I try to go higher protein, lower carbs, but I'm not obsessing. Some days it's 50% PRO, some days it's 50% CHO. On average I think you could say my diet is around 50% PRO, 30% CHO and 20% FAT. Days where I ride 40-50 miles the PRO drops and the CHO goes up but I try not to micromanage that.

However, I count and weigh EVERYTHING. Unless I'm eating out, in which case I either photograph it so I can make my best guess later, or I use what I've learned to make a best guess at how much of what is in what I am eating.

OH! Side note: I also figured out how to eat at the local Chinese buffet! First I avoid anything that is covered in cheese or sugary sauce, etc. I also avoid the highest fat items, although I eat plenty of fat! They do takeout, so one day I made a plate of what I like to eat, took it home and weighed each thing. I did my best to guess at salt/soy sauce/etc. and then really worked at memorizing what it looks like. I've done this enough times that I can make a 700 calorie plate that is half protein half vegetables now in my sleep. I can scale that up or down depending on my activity levels that week, or my plans for the next few days.

I've also gone back to school (nutrition & fitness. Should have a DTR certification in 2 yrs and I will be training as soon as I *look* the part, maybe by this winter). Which brings me to another question; How do I stay motivated? That's complicated. But I can give you a few things that help.

1. I love, love, love clothes. I'm a guy who likes to shop. You can't find truly great clothes - casual or dress - in 5x. And lets be honest, while I don't look down on anyone who is big, we all know that clothes work better on bodies that are on the smaller side of the spectrum. I hunt the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores around me like a crazed animal...I've replaced my entire wardrobe 4 times at a fraction of what it would've cost me new. Dead Man's clothes? Not a problem. I have a washing machine and I know how to use it. So clothes keep me looking ever down the road to success.

P.S. I am also a shoe *kitten*. Apologies for the language if you're offended, but that is the precise and exact term for it. Goodwill & the SA keep me in classic, well-made shoes for pennies on the dollar! I would sell my body to diseased sex tourists in Amsterdam for the right pair of shoes. Well...maybe not. Let's hope it never comes to that. I don't want to know what I would do. :)

2. Cycling. You cannot climb hills/mountains well if you are heavy. The laws of physics are not in your favor no matter how strong you are. The lighter you are, and the more of your weight is muscle, the better you will be at going up. And in order to experience the thrill of going down at 40-50mph, first? You gotta go up. I hate hills. I like to pretend I'm time-trialing on a nice flat 25 mile route I have mapped out. But even in that style of riding, being lighter with more muscle helps you go faster. So that motivates me...getting faster on the bike is something I crave.

3. My wonderful, brilliant, amazing and sexy wife. I am punching way, way above my weight class (ha!) with her. She's frigging hot, like legit hot, like "other dudes hit on her in front of me at the bar when we go to karaoke" hot. She loved me when I was enormous, and she loves me now, and I want to make sure I don't drop dead when I am 55. I don't want her to have to be a young widow, nor do I want to cheat the two of us out of growing old together. She got sick ten years ago, and I quit life (lost my business, almost lost the house) to tend to her. we both came out the other side of that better, smarter, stronger and more bonded. I'm not going to let the progress we have both made go to waste by dying young.

And that's too damn much writing. Wow. That was like a freaking therapy session. Do I have to pay all of you $95 for the 50 minutes? :)

BTW, I don't open my food diary, but I am an open book, so if anyone wants to ask a question that they think is too personal? No such animal. I'll answer virtually anything about myself.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Simply incredible! Keep it up!

This was me when I started. Ridiculous. I look like a certain porcine rabble-rousing film maker. Close to 400lbs. Last known actual weight was 384.5 and the three weeks before I decided to make a change I know I gained more. 390? 395? Who knows.

2362473_7080.jpg

I've been at this fitness/healthier lifestyle thing for almost 4 years now. I've lost an entire human, both in weight and in inches. My biggest shirt was a XXXXXL. I currently own mostly Ls. And...this is the best bit of all for me...seriously, of all the things, better muscle definition, lowered sleep apnea, better lab numbers, none of that is as good as thins part:

My underwear are SMALLS. Ok, stretchy, yes. A large small? Yes. BUT THE TAG SAYS SMALL. YOU CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME. :)

Anyway...I got the greatest tee shirt in all of human history. Luckily for me, the pic I took of it shows a pretty fair amount of change:

2362473_523.jpg

Will I make sub-200 by my 41st birthday? I'm making all the right moves so far, so we'll see. I'm hovering in the mid 220s right now, but I just changed to a program of heavy lifting 2x a week, HIIT one day a week and now that the weather is breaking, bike rides on my baby:

2362473_6700.jpg

That's Jasmine. She and I have a wonderful relationship. I pour money into her and she sucks fat off my *kitten*.
  • Kapinky27
    Options
    OMG You are an inspiration to me and to many keep going I hope this brings you everything in life that you felt you couldnt achieve because of your weight what you have accomplished is amazing and you sre also amazing.....
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the other MFP'ers comments, but I did just read your "therapy session"... I read it word for word... that'll be $95!

Seriously, I've been struggling with "keeping at it", and stories like yours are what I am "feeding" myself with! Thank you for sharing ALL the details.

I'm looking so forward to the time when friends say "WOW, how did you lose the weight???", 'cause what I want to say is "Believe it or not, it's NOT Rocket Science - Eat Less + Move More = Healthy Weight!"

I particularly love the tribute to your lovely bride - I've been married 21 years to the most terrific and SUPPORTIVE man who loves me at any size, and when I am at a point where I can post a "success story" like yours, he'll be getting a huge chunk of credit!

Take care, keep up the good work, and thank you again!

:drinker:

Ice
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! Awesome job! :)
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Keep up the good work!
    I love bike weather!!!!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You look great! You look like a completely different person...amazing.

Regarding Jasmin (your bike)...how long after you started losing weight did you purchase her? I want to ride a bike so badly but I'm scared that it wouldn't support my weight. Also worried about my balance as I haven't ridden a bike since I was 13 (now 27).

I just read your response and I'd like to say that I do the same thing when it comes to going out to eat. I snap pictures for future reference so I can guesstimate what I ate. I even take after pictures of how much I ate. My mom was telling me just the other day that when I start to drop enough weight that the perfect place to shop is the goodwill so I don't spend a ridiculous amount of money getting a new wardrobe (multiple times). I'm glad that her thinking is being used by other people as I didn't know that!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!