Tilapia Ideas Needed!

Options

Replies

• jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine with a lemon pepper seasoning and fresh lemon juice. Then i cook it in a non-stick pan (no additional oil needed) and put on top of a bed of fresh spinach. YUM!!

That sounds really, really good! Now I know what I'm having for dinner.
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks for all the ideas! i have no idea how i am going to decide which one to use! they all sound wonderful! :drinker:
  • chelledepriest
    Options
    Bump!
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    Options
    I do mine "en papillote" which is similar to the grilling in foil idea. I put the fish in parchment paper, or use foil if you don't have parchment. Put the fish down on one side of the parchment, salt and pepper on the top. then add some sliced zucchini and squash (cut in julienne strips) and add about a tablespoon of white wine, a small pat of butter, more salt and pepper, then thin slices of lemon on top. Fold the parchment over and, starting on one side, fold the edges over on themselves so it is a half-circle. If you use foil, make the foil into a tent on the top so it doesn't rest right on the fish. Place the packages on a sheet pan and cook at 375-ish for 14-16 minutes, depending on how thick your fish is cut.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    One of my "splurges" is butter. I melt 1 TBSP of butter and pan sear a tilapia fillet with nothing more than a light sprinkling of kosher salt and course ground black pepper. Even when it's done, there is a good 2/3 TBSP butter still left in the pan, but I count the whole TBSP in my calories just to make sure I'm not under counting. I have this with salad or steamed veggies for dinner at least 18-20 days out of the month.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ooo I just bought some Talapia! I need these ideas as well :)
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I do mine "en papillote" which is similar to the grilling in foil idea. I put the fish in parchment paper, or use foil if you don't have parchment. Put the fish down on one side of the parchment, salt and pepper on the top. then add some sliced zucchini and squash (cut in julienne strips) and add about a tablespoon of white wine, a small pat of butter, more salt and pepper, then thin slices of lemon on top. Fold the parchment over and, starting on one side, fold the edges over on themselves so it is a half-circle. If you use foil, make the foil into a tent on the top so it doesn't rest right on the fish. Place the packages on a sheet pan and cook at 375-ish for 14-16 minutes, depending on how thick your fish is cut.

I have done that as well and used different fishes....you can top it with nearly anything. I recently did Halibut and put red pepper strips, fresh minced garlic, chopped onion, a sprig of thyme a fresh bay leaf, salt and pepper, and a slice of lemon.....YUM YUM
  • BCXMC
    BCXMC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • diegelman
    diegelman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dredge is whole wheat flour, sautee in pan with non-stick cooking spray. add half cup white wine, juice of one lemon and some capers. yummy!
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    what is rotel???? do they sell it in Canada? Ive never heard of it!!!!!
  • gregorymcgaughey
    Options
    I just did my quick and easy Tilapia tonight, great for when I get home late and don't want to spend a lot of time prepping. It makes one or two servings.

In a small sauce pan I toss in

diced onion
    diced bell pepper
    diced celery

from saved left over choppings in our freezer

you can add a little olive oil but I find that there's usually enough water in the frozen vegetables that it's not needed. Once the onions are clear I open up a regular size can(14oz?) of diced tomatoes in pour it on top and stir. I then season with a bay leaf, oregano and basil and some red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling I lay my Tilapia on top of the tomatoes, turn down the heat and put the top on the pan. I grab some fresh spinach from the fridge and fill a bowl with it. Once the Tilapia is done, I have a glass lid so I just watch for it to turn white, I lift it out, lay it on top of the spinach and then scoop/pour the tomatoes over the top. The spinach wilts nicely as you stir it into the tomatoes and break up the fish. Sometimes I'll add 1/2 cup of heated brown rice under the spinach if I have some in the freezer.
  • krwtvl02
    krwtvl02 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love Tilapia Loins and the way I cook it is wash them and season as usual but I pour Balsamic Vinegar over it (like I'm marinading it) and bake it and Yummo!
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    These sound great! Saving for later.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yazminetw
    yazminetw Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I cook tilapia one of two ways depending on how I want it:
    1. Season with lemon pepper and pan fry using a non-stick pan with Pam or margarine.
    2. Season with salt/pepper or lemon pepper, saute onions and green peppers in a pan with a little EVOO or margarine, place fish right on top of onions and peppers and cover with lid. Turn over after 3-5 minutes to cook other side.

Reading all of these recipes makes me want to make fish for dinner tonight. I liked the grilled recipe.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump:)
  • maureenrf
    maureenrf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican food so I top mine with a good salsa, a little bit of shredded cheddar or montery jack cheese, and a handful of crushed tortilla chips. Bake until fish is done. Great with rice or beans.
  • adcraven78
    Options
    Hi,
    My family loves tilapia and this is our favorite way to eat it!

1/2 cup of parmesean cheese
    1/4 cup of butter
    3 tbsp fat free or low fat mayo
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp basil

Mix all of the ingredients together. Broil your tilapia on hi for 4-5 min. Take it out and spoon mixture onto fish. Cook until yellow and bubbley. Usually takes around 2 min. Be careful not to overcook. Of course you can substitute the butter for the healthier kind and adjust your seasonings to your liking. Enjoy!