There, their, they're and more...

Options
13»

Replies

• MMieure
    MMieure Posts: 48
    Options
    I could care less, does it really matter? I am sorry but only God could make me perfect and he did not.

Ha Ha! This is one of my pet peeves! Actually, you COULD care less. What you actually meant was "I could not care less"
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest pet peeves on the MFP threads: people who are here to "loose" the "wait" once and for all!!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I do not believe that anyone has asked for perfection in this particularly large can of worms, just some real effort. I don't mind typos, hell, I have fat fingers! but to continually make the same mistakes over and over again after the correct usage has been explained over and over gives the impression of not caring to do your best. That bothers me almost as much as people that "axe" questions and type in text speak. Are we not all here because we want to be the best person we can be? Skinny jeans do not make for a complete person. And yes, I have been known to send corrected emails and documents back to my boss.
    Ted
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I could care less, does it really matter? I am sorry but only God could make me perfect and he did not.

Ha Ha! This is one of my pet peeves! Actually, you COULD care less. What you actually meant was "I could not care less"

:happy: :heart: :happy:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Using lazy language is like not taking a shower or wearing dirty clothes. I don't expect everyone to be perfect - I'm certainly not, but at least make an effort.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I have the right to state my opinion...even if I'm offended..thanks
    Not going to dwell, but I think posts like this are pompous and a tad obnoxious..we all have have our strengths and weaknesses..people have different upbringings/backgrounds ....different levels of education.....
    who the heck cares
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Can someone give me a lesson in "lay" vs "lie" or "laying" vs "lying"? Seriously...If I stop to think about it long enough I can get it, but I know I've screwed those up.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah blah blahspeechless-smiley-002.gif
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You forgot "should/could/would of" ...
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the gramur lesion, I loose track alot...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    This is all you can find to complain about? Lucky you.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    What I don't understand is why anyone would not care about how they present themselves in print. Afterall, once you put something on the internet, it is there to stay-- FOREVER. If one knows he/she is a bad speller or doesn't know the basic grammar rules, then one should make an effort to educate themselves about it. Just because something is a blog or a forum post or a text message, doesn't mean it should be any less correct than a report for an employer.

When my students ask me if spelling is going to count on an assignment (in an English class, no less), I ask them if math should count when I average their grade.

~ happlily wearing my Grammar Police uniform~

this.
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Can someone give me a lesson in "lay" vs "lie" or "laying" vs "lying"? Seriously...If I stop to think about it long enough I can get it, but I know I've screwed those up.

Lie down on the bed.. Lie = to recline
    Lay the pillow on the bed. Lay - to place something

An easy way to remember --
    If you lay an egg, you'll need to lie down.

hope this helps :)