Does any1 find that some people are quite insultive towards

Options
2»

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had a neighbor ask if I was sick!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Ok, yes, this has happened to me, people have told me start eating, etc. The worst is when I have a patient dismiss me because of my size. I will tell them (usually when asked for advice) that losing weight can help their health issues, and have had a couple jab me in the stomach and say, "easy for YOU to say". I feel disrespected!

HOWEVER, we have to remember that our family and friends love us and though there may be other issues (not liking change, etc) when those people complain it is often with actual concern. I remember i had an obese friend that lost a lot of weight, he looked sick to me for a long time till i got used to hus new features.

The other thing is, you have to ask yourself if they could be right? Could you have a dysmorphic disorder? Not planning to call anyone out, but there are posters on this thread that I personally think are taking the weight loss too far. if they were my family member or friend I'd express concern, and hope they'd listen.

Remember, there is such a thing as body dysmorphia and eating disorders, and if you fall victim to it your family/friends will be the ones to save you :flowerforyou:
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    actually today my dad took my husband and I out to lunch and I asked for oatmeal and the waitress said "we don't serve oatmeal after 11 am" even though the restaurant is one of those "we serve breakfast all day long" places. So I was like "ok, I don't know what to get now because it was the only healthy thing I can think of on the menu." She went to say "Why don't you get a salad." But I am a texture eater, and I can't stand the texture of lettuce. Their salads are also the kind with chicken fingers in them so it wouldn't have been healthy in the first place. She gave me a look like I was insane and asked what I wanted then and since I didn't have a backup plan as they've always served it during the day before now, I said I didn't know. When I ordered toast and some bacon she just rolled her eyes. She really ticked me off. Not only did I not enjoy my meal, I actually went to the bathroom and cried because she was so rude to me.
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sadly culture today tends to steer people toward being overweight in the 1st place so, naturally people assume if you aren't over eating like they are something must be wrong with you.
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had a coworker ask me for tips on how to get fit. I told her about MFP but had the feeling she wasn't genuinely interested,then she preceded to
    tell me I lost too much weight lol
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well, then their words are meaningless because they never saw YOU!
    don't take it personally - it's their problem if you're happy with your body. I agree though that it does suck they're always the first thing to go on me :( If only we could program what fat to burn....:happy:
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    I feel like I can't even talk about working out or counting calories besides on here because people are like oh please u don't need to loose weight! Your right I don't but you have not seen me naked and I need to be happy and tone up. What is so wrong with that?

I agree we should be able to come back with their own medicine - how would they feel if you replied "Yeah I know I don't, but you don't need to eat that super sized triple quarter pounder meal with bacon and cheese either now do you?"
    :noway:
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    Just last weekend a group of us gals were making a long car trip - one of the others (Carol) asked me how I was able to lose my weight?? So I told her about using MFP, counting calories and tracking sodium - and I personally believe my tracking sodium has been the best help to me. Carol & I discussed the outrageous amounts of sodium in foods and she was genuinely interested and happy for me.

I was NOT preaching to anyone about their eating habits, just saying what was working for me, Carol did ASK in the first place!!

So anyway, another gal (Donna) was listening to our converstation and when we stopped to eat lunch, Donna looked across the table at me and in a rude voice, said I'd ruined HER lunch because now she couldn't enjoy the foods she wanted because of the calories & sodium!!! Like what??? I never once said anything to HER about her eating habits - just talked about mine with Carol. Geesh!

I decided that Donna was just jealous or something. Grrrrr! Some friend!!!!!!!

there's a reason they say "Ignorance is bliss" you opened her eyes to what she was doing. Maybe not enough to make a change but I'm sure she'll not look at food the same way or get the same enjoyment out of it.
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    actually today my dad took my husband and I out to lunch and I asked for oatmeal and the waitress said "we don't serve oatmeal after 11 am" even though the restaurant is one of those "we serve breakfast all day long" places. So I was like "ok, I don't know what to get now because it was the only healthy thing I can think of on the menu." She went to say "Why don't you get a salad." But I am a texture eater, and I can't stand the texture of lettuce. Their salads are also the kind with chicken fingers in them so it wouldn't have been healthy in the first place. She gave me a look like I was insane and asked what I wanted then and since I didn't have a backup plan as they've always served it during the day before now, I said I didn't know. When I ordered toast and some bacon she just rolled her eyes. She really ticked me off. Not only did I not enjoy my meal, I actually went to the bathroom and cried because she was so rude to me.

You should have went straight to the manager with that one. She had no right to push you to order something or to show her disapproval or irritation at your desire to eat healthy. She doesn't deserve to have that job. All she did was show her ignorance. I hope she was tipped accordingly :/ (yes, I'm an ex server so I know what it's like to live off tips but come one - if you suck, so does your tip - period! If my servers are friendly, helpful and help me enjoy my meals then they are well compensated)

If you return there, make sure you ask NOT to be seated in her section. You have that right.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

You should have went straight to the manager with that one. She had no right to push you to order something or to show her disapproval or irritation at your desire to eat healthy. She doesn't deserve to have that job. All she did was show her ignorance. I hope she was tipped accordingly :/ (yes, I'm an ex server so I know what it's like to live off tips but come one - if you suck, so does your tip - period! If my servers are friendly, helpful and help me enjoy my meals then they are well compensated)

If you return there, make sure you ask NOT to be seated in her section. You have that right.

Unfortunately my dad is one of those over generous tippers. We did go to the manager and he said that oatmeal takes too long to make and there isn't enough demand for it and they don't use quick oats and blah blah blah... I said "I don't use quick oats either, but it still only takes 10 - 15 minutes to make a single serving of old fashioned oats." He was like "well if you want to wait a little longer for your food that is fine, but we don't usually make something for just one person, we are a fast paced restaurant. We want people to be able to get in and out as quickly as possible." In other words, shut up eat your food and leave. If it would have been up to me I would have left our waitress a dime at most.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

What a b*tch!!! Oatmeal is easy!!!! Why do they suddenly stop serving it??? That's awful. Restaurants should be much more accommodating and have some basic common courtesy. Not to mention minimum requirements directed at nutrition for those who actually care!
  • fatuglyrhino
    Options
    I am reading and nodding my head to all the comments here. Where I come from it's not polite to say anything to someone about their weight except, oh you look great! Have you lost weight? However, whenever I get on the road to healthiness I feel like others are jealous and resentful and like it or not, it's a slap in their own donut stuffing face even if you don't say a word because it makes them feel guilty about their own gluttony. What you have to remember is THAT'S THEM not YOU and you aren't doing this for them you are doing it for you. If other people's criticism and rude behavior is extremely demoralizing to you, there are two things you need to do. Number one, examine your own motivations and make sure you really are doing it just for you. If that's the case, their comments should only be mildly annoying to you. Number two, you need to decide if those people really have a place in your daily life. Isn't it easier to distance yourself from negativity than to try and continue relationships with people like that?
  • fatuglyrhino
    Options
    I guess you won't be going back to THAT place again anytime soon. As a calorie counter, I find eating out to be a really difficult thing to plan into my day. Like you, I don't like to just fall back on the salad idea because so many salads are loaded with hundreds of hidden calories. It's ok once in awhile, but when we were on vacation last week, eating out 1-2 times a day, I totally backtracked and gained 4 pounds. Next time we vacation I plan on going grocery shopping and cooking most meals back at the condo.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    However, whenever I get on the road to healthiness I feel like others are jealous and resentful and like it or not, it's a slap in their own donut stuffing face even if you don't say a word because it makes them feel guilty about their own gluttony.

Can I just play devil's advocate for a moment? I've been accused of being "jealous" and "resentful" of a friend who is trying to lose weight, and I can honestly say it is not the case. I know the person very well, and I know that she is a "fisher" for compliments. Most of her talk about becoming healthy is done from a perspective of "see how great I am! Compliment me!!!" It's one thing to do some "fishing" here as that's sort of the purpose, but its another to talk about it every....single...day....in nearly every conversation. I HATE the constant MFP updates to their facebook page. So annoying! I'm on the same journey, and I'm doing it for ME, not for bragging rights.

So, again, devil's advocate - not everyone who doesn't want to give compliments or talk about it all the time is "jealous".
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    YES! I hate this. I used to get comments and "looks" up and down from my family when I was heavier because I was getting overweight. Now I get comments like "oh better be careful you don't gain that weight back again!"

My aunt said that to me and I was so pissed I told her to shove it where the sun don't shine. I worked so hard to get healthy and this is what you say to me when you haven't seen me for 8 months, gee thanks.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    People can be idiots, just set your brain to ignore.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    personally, i like a girl that is in shape with small breasts over a girl that is chunky with big breasts. athletic beats bulbous any day of the week.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    wow! and dang! my mouth would have just fallen open if someone had said that to me!!

I've not had any mean comments. One friend of mine emailed the other and asked how many inches I had lost. When I answered her, she replied, Well that's why I haven't seen you lately ! :laugh:

As Ann Landers used to say, when someone says something rude to you, look them in the eye and say Whatever would make you say such a thing?