Equestrians???

Options

Replies

• Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Welcome to those who are new!

I have to say that I love the elegant looking pictures of those of you who ride English. Although I've ridden both, I'm a gaming, trail-riding type of girl but have such respect for those of you who jump and ride dressage. Just beautiful!

Dancer and I love trails too!! I actually started out riding western when I was little, it wasn't until I got Dancer at 13 that I switched over to English... he's just not built for western lol. What kind of gaming do you do? I used to love barrels and pole bending! Dancer and I have done an obstacle course set up by our Richmond Mounted Police. It changes every year and has had some wild obstacles that are supposed to simulate what the police horses encounter on the streets. We've had to walk over mattresses, stand calmly while a firecracker is thrown in a garbage can (not a loud firecracker, just a fizzy one), walk through hanging pool float noodles, etc. The hardest ones for Dancer was having to stand calmly while being sprayed with silly string (we reared on that one lol) and having to walk into a line of police caution tape until we broke through it (he really didn't want to do that but I cant blame him, it probably looked like electric tape to him!).

I love this thread! It's so neat to hear about how other people enjoy their horses!!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Loving this spring weather we've been having and actually getting to ride again!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any showing, just playing around with my horse for fun with barrels, poles, etc. I've done a few "fun shows" where I used to take riding lessons, but that was years ago. It's hard to do much more when I don't have a truck and trailer :ohwell: Maybe someday!

Last year, I had to take a riding test for an instructor certification, riding English and it was hard. The horse, a Norwegian Fjord, was round as a barrel so my legs were super tired when I got done! I passed, though, so I haven't loss all of the English riding skills learned in college over 10 years ago!
  • BSN2Be
    BSN2Be Posts: 23
    Options
    I recently sold my horse because I came to college. I showed Hunters and Equitation. I was a very long shot Maclay hopeful. Sadly, I've aged out so I couldn't try for it again if I wanted to.

I had a beautiful 16.3h TB mare who was a veteran on the show circuit, she is now living a semi-retired life just being a horse ridden around on the farm and some small schooling shows.

I really miss riding and showing, but I'm incredibly busy. I really would like to take weekly riding lessons at the barn I used to ride and show with, but that isn't in the budget at the time. I'm thinking about asking around and just seeing if anyone needs a horse exercised or shown.

As soon as I graduate, I'm getting me a horsey :)
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    LOVE IT!! Did you get TJ in Australia or did you bring him over there from the states? My boy is an ex-racer too, but he was too slow for the track so that career ended pretty quickly lol.

I bought TJ in Australia :happy: But I brought my warmblood over to Aus from the US to retire in a life of luxury.(he is 27 this year) :laugh: Everything is so much cheaper over here. :flowerforyou:
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!! Did you get TJ in Australia or did you bring him over there from the states? My boy is an ex-racer too, but he was too slow for the track so that career ended pretty quickly lol.

I bought TJ in Australia :happy: But I brought my warmblood over to Aus from the US to retire in a life of luxury.(he is 27 this year) :laugh: Everything is so much cheaper over here. :flowerforyou:

That's so cool!
  • ruralgirl
    ruralgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here still about - Im looking for some horse riding frinds to add...I have 5 in the UK of all shapes & sizes...
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here still about - Im looking for some horse riding frinds to add...I have 5 in the UK of all shapes & sizes...
    Yes. I'm still here. :laugh:

I don't ride...still too heavy at the moment, but own a race-horse (did own two but had to have one put down at the weekend smiley-sad023.gif
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm still here. :laugh:

I don't ride...still too heavy at the moment, but own a race-horse (did own two but had to have one put down at the weekend smiley-sad023.gif

Sorry to hear about your horse. Been there and it's never easy. :frown:
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I'm still here too. I have 3 Paints and live in Alberta, Canada
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    Hello! I was wondering if there were many fellow equestrians out there :) I have two of my own. One is "Obie".... He is my retired 16,2h TB Gelding. I showed him in the Amateur Owners (3'6") for a couple years and retired him early. His old bones couldn't hold up to the wear and tare of the show ring week in and week out. "Santa" brought him to me Christmas of 1999. Best Christmas EVER! LOL Deena is my TB/WB cross by the sire Don Alfredo. She is my upcoming show horse and is an absolute doll. I bought her when she was 9 months old and she is turning 5 this year :):flowerforyou:
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Me! :smile:

I'm in Somerset in the UK. Unfortunately we don't have our own horses (my boyfriend rides as well) but we ride regularly every week at a local stables, and we try and go on a week's riding holiday every year or so, which is great fun and really intensive :smile:

I have always loved horses and although I'm not the most confident rider, I really love it.

I do have a question though - in the US etc is it not mandatory to wear hard hats??? I'm astonished by the amount of programmes (ie Wildfire) and forum pictures I've seen where people are hurtling around on horses with no safety equipment. Over here in the UK it's very rare to see anyone riding without a hat - and at our stables, you can't ride unless you have both a hat AND a body protector.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Tango: So sorry to hear about your horse.

Lanfear: No, the US does not require riding helmets. Some shows/programs/clubs do require riders to wear them, especially youth under 18 years. Obviously jumping and other English shows require them as part of the uniform. The stable I learned to ride at required them for everyone, but then I bought my own horse and didn't wear one until I moved her to a new barn. I figured it couldn't hurt with her not being used to the surroundings; that was over a year ago and I still wear one when I ride.

For those who are new, I live in Minnesota and have a Mustang cross mare, 14.2h, 15 years old. I'm also a NARHA certified therapeutic horseback riding instructor.
  • UnoDiamante
    UnoDiamante Posts: 356
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have a 14 year old Appendix QH I have owned for 9 years now. We did the hunters for a few years and now do some hunter/jumper shows, dressage shows and the occasional hunter pace. Trying to lose weight and get fit so I dont get so tired while riding. :)
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It is so nice to know other poeple on here have horses...

I live in West Virginia, I have a 10 year old Saddlebred gelding named "what a bonus" we call him Rico at the barn. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I show saddleseat, next year I am planning on showing adult equitation.
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaP0t5IUnM

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but I laugh until I cry EVERYTIME I see this! What a tough kid! lol
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Another rider here! :)

I am an endurance rider, so I log quite a few hours and miles. However, my body does get used to it so it's a struggle to find other activities to use as exercise. I also do gymkhana, and I ride horses for other people right now for $$ while I'm going to school.

I'm sidelined at the moment with my endurance mare, as she ripped her side open and isn't rideable for another six weeks or so.

I'd love to have more horsey friends! I'm looking to lose some pounds, but mostly tone...especially my back of thighs and butt! It's getting too jiggly! But no matter how much I ride, it doesn't seem to target those areas LOL
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Still here in Minnesota with my Quarter Horses and Paints :flowerforyou:
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Hayley from Leeds, UK

I own a 14 year old TB x Cleveland Bay mare called Molly. We just ride for pleasure. She currently is on working livery in a riding school but we like to hack out. Like to jump every now and then but we're definitely not into competing.
    The only change if noticed to my body with riding is more muscular calves grrrrrrrr (even popped the zip on the back of my lovely ariat boots!)
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Hi ruralgirl!
    It's ALWAYS nice to make new horsey friends :-)
    I have to ask, are you riding a gypsy?