• stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    23jn6mu.jpg

LOL!!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    There were studies in the 80s showing that Aspartame causes cancer in rats, but they injected those rats with enough to be equivalent to you drinking 50 gallons of soda a day for many years.

There are literally tens of millions of people who drink diet sodas everyday, and have been for 30 years. We are not seeing some huge cancer epidemic. I don't think it's something to worry about.

That said, moderation is the key in all things.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I too loved my soda, Coke drinker her. Its been almost 18 years,,,yes you've read that correctly, 18 YEARS, since I've even had a sip of coke. I now only drink water and will on occasion have a sprite/ sierra mist if I'm not feeling very good tummy wise (its my comfort food from when I was a little girl - never like ginger ale haha).

I stopped drinking soda because it is very acidic and will rot away the enamel of your teeth...now I know there is pleanty of other things I'm eating that will do the same thing, but I was ok with making this change.

I have also learned that more than 3 "diet" beverages (doesnt matter what, just "diet") can lead to increased risk of heart disease. Again, I am probably eating pleanty of other things to compensate for this too, but its where I was/ am willing to cut back.

It all boils down to moderation, too much of anything is not a good thing, and if its not one thing that will "do you in" it will be another.

I have befriended a personal trainer here on MFP and she drinks a pepsi (dont think its diet) every day, has something to do with the simple/ complex carbs and weight lifting and the ease your body has in consuming and using what it can provide for you.

So back to your original question, is it bad for you? depends on who you ask.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    20 glasses a day at the expense of drinking good for you water = bad
    1 or 2 glasses a day as well as drinking good for you water = not bad

Everything in moderation.
  • getNskinny2day
    Options
    I'm hooked on diet coke and diet pepsi, but studies are showing how bad it is for your heart and body in general. I actually went to a dietician last year and the guy told me "drink as much diet coke as you want! have 50 cans a day, it doesn't matter since it's calorie free!".. Umm... Do you have to get certified to be a dietician? Because that dude needs to lose his license!

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartHealth/diet-soda-linked-heart-attack-stroke-risk/story?id=12868269

Check this link out. Now I'm not saying I never drink diet sodas, because quite frankly that would be a total lie, but drink them in moderation! I can't even drink regular now because I am hooked on the taste of diet, but I try to limit myself to 1-2 cans per week.
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you can handle the controversy behind artificial sweeteners (I personally have nothing to do with them) and don't care what all that carbonation is doing to your bones - sure! :) I gave up soda many years ago and haven't looked back. Most people don't miss it. Water water water, or herbal tea. No calories, it will fill you up, and it won't increase your appetite as diet soda can do.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Last year I read a study done on women. The results: Women who drank 3 diet sodas a day had a 30% decline in kidney function. They assume the same would apply to men.

It was only one study but have heard of people having seizures, convulsions, etc. from drinking too much diet soda.

I have also read that it can increase appetite. Your body thinks its getting something with nutrients and it doesn't so the craving kicks in.

Moderation.

Its amazing that even stuff that's good for you can be bad in excess. Too much sugar can hurt you but a little won't. Too much exercise could hurt you. Too much salt can hurt you but the body still needs some sodium. You can eat the same thing for years and all of a sudden you develop an allergic reaction to it (it's good to vary your veggies instead of eating the same kinds over and over - I have a hard time on this one).

I drank both. I gave up all. Will have a real soda every once in a while. Other than Taco Bell's Baha Blast I don't like any of them anymore.
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    I have cut all soda out of my lifestyle. But it took a long time, now it's been over 2 yrs and no longer miss it, heck we have root beer in the fridge and haven't even touched it :D
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my diet soda ANY diet soda is a friend of mine! The "best" one I have found for you is "Diet rite" sweetened with splenda, no sodium and no caffeine. Of course LOTS will sy even this is not good for you BUT I ould rather chug a 2 liter of Diet Soda then eat a double cheese burger and get fatter. IMO :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I too loved my soda, Coke drinker her. Its been almost 18 years,,,yes you've read that correctly, 18 YEARS, since I've even had a sip of coke. I now only drink water and will on occasion have a sprite/ sierra mist if I'm not feeling very good tummy wise (its my comfort food from when I was a little girl - never like ginger ale haha).

I stopped drinking soda because it is very acidic and will rot away the enamel of your teeth...now I know there is pleanty of other things I'm eating that will do the same thing, but I was ok with making this change.

I have also learned that more than 3 "diet" beverages (doesnt matter what, just "diet") can lead to increased risk of heart disease. Again, I am probably eating pleanty of other things to compensate for this too, but its where I was/ am willing to cut back.

It all boils down to moderation, too much of anything is not a good thing, and if its not one thing that will "do you in" it will be another.

I have befriended a personal trainer here on MFP and she drinks a pepsi (dont think its diet) every day, has something to do with the simple/ complex carbs and weight lifting and the ease your body has in consuming and using what it can provide for you.

I have read numerous times that having your post workout protein with something sugary is good. The sugar will send that protein straight to the muscles immediately.
  • Jessk63
    Jessk63 Posts: 51
    Options
    thanks everyone for their insight!! I drink about 1 20oz bottle of diet pepsi a day if not more sometimes....I seriously see the stuff and cant help but pick one up if im out....i think im gonna try to give it up cold turkey to see how i feel......i used to work for a physical therapist office and they always told me id feel better and it would help me to just cut it completely....one of them suggest Fresca in place of it.....i wish i could remove the vending machine from my work break room haha.....wish me luck everyone im gonna give it shot!!! NO MORE SODA starting RIGHT NOW!
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I have read numerous times that having your post workout protein with something sugary is good. The sugar will send that protein straight to the muscles immediately.

yes, I've read alot of people will use 1 cup of chocolate milk immediately following their workout for that same reason,,,,,so I'm guessing its not diet soda after thinking this through, its probably regular for this very purpose, along with the carbs in it....liquid carbs so absorbed and used efficiently?
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I was a two to three can a day diet soda drinker. I decided to cut diet soda out of my diet two months ago.
  • Christiane81
    Options
    If you can honestly tell me anything that is real in diet soda then I would say it is healthy. As a doctor I cannot advise my patients enough that just because it is diet or fat free doesn't mean that it is healthy. My general rule is this: if it is advertised repeatedly on television then it must not be that great for you.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i love diet soda, but i'm pretty sure the aspartame will give me a tumor that will kill me one day. i've accepted my fate.

I share your fate!

Thank you, Sometimes things aren't worth worrying so much about. I don't have any deadly side effects so I'm going to keep enjoying the tastiness and the pick me up :)

But I am going to stop using my cell phone for fear of a brain tumor... ;)
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My Husbands urologist ( he had a kidney removed due to kidney cancer at the nice young age of 34!!) told him to cut way way back if not totally on the dark sodas b/c of the CARMEL coloring.....its not necessary and it is just "cosmetic" Carmel coloring is HORRIBLE for you. I should live by his example but I am addicted to my diet pop.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Everything I've ever read says YES, stop drinking diet soda.

Here's a video that someone recommended to me - it's kind of long, but makes sense.

http://youtu.be/hpoAtwVyzZI
  • duckychic
    duckychic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have heard that diet soda's make you crave sweets. I stopped drinking it and it seems to have helped!

5385011.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Great rule of thumb! I will be sharing!
    If you can honestly tell me anything that is real in diet soda then I would say it is healthy. As a doctor I cannot advise my patients enough that just because it is diet or fat free doesn't mean that it is healthy. My general rule is this: if it is advertised repeatedly on television then it must not be that great for you.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    thanks everyone for their insight!! I drink about 1 20oz bottle of diet pepsi a day if not more sometimes....I seriously see the stuff and cant help but pick one up if im out....i think im gonna try to give it up cold turkey to see how i feel......i used to work for a physical therapist office and they always told me id feel better and it would help me to just cut it completely....one of them suggest Fresca in place of it.....i wish i could remove the vending machine from my work break room haha.....wish me luck everyone im gonna give it shot!!! NO MORE SODA starting RIGHT NOW!