PLANKS-- How long?

Options

Replies

• flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    is there a correct way to do a plank? I've always thought you hold yourself up on your toes and forearms, but P90X show a plank behing held up on your hands and toes.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My son (he's 16) are doing a competition on the Wii Fit w/ the Push Up & Plank Challenge.

I'm losing to him on the push ups now, I'm up to 20 (BOO!!!) I can do 6 push ups w/ side planks, but i'm usually POOPED afterwards. Hopefully after a month or two of doing this I'll be able to do 20 push ups w/ side planks! :)

BUT on the planks I'm kicking his BUTT! I'm up to 104 seconds. Woohoo! He can only do it for 80 seconds, so he's not far behind me. LOL I'm trying to get up to 180 seconds.

Btw, we do alternate each day - we're doing planks tonight, wish me luck! LOL
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    20 seconds. *Love* planks. I can feel them working, they took inches off my waist quickly and it seems that it's nearly impossible to hurt yourself with them (unlike crunches which I now avoid because my form is godawful).
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    is there a correct way to do a plank? I've always thought you hold yourself up on your toes and forearms, but P90X show a plank behing held up on your hands and toes.
    If you are on your hands and toes then that is a push up position. Those are two compeltely different things
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I do 30 s in the middle, then 30 on the side, 30 on the other, then 30 back in the middle, without resting/dropping inbetween

How do you do a side plank?
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I started with planks last night. I held it for 30 seconds rested for 60 seconds and then held it for 30 seconds and rested for 60 seconds and held it for as long as I could..for me was about 20 seconds..

Question, feet together or feet out to the sides a bit? I ended up doing mine at this point with my feet out to the side a bit.. I think it is cheating a bit, but I had to start somewhere... LOL
    From what my trainer told me last year, its feet together and butt down with your butt and back flat, your barely inches off the ground if you do it right.

Thanks! I will pay attention and focus on that type of form.. better to build up doing the right form.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    20 seconds. *Love* planks. I can feel them working, they took inches off my waist quickly and it seems that it's nearly impossible to hurt yourself with them (unlike crunches which I now avoid because my form is godawful).
    My form is as well, but I love the burn my abs feel afterwards. Plank kills my shoulder though. I messed it up last year and it still hurts if i use it at all, which sucks because its my right shoulder and I am right handed.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think I can do this. I haven't been doing them lately, but am willing to start back so I'm in. I usually do 3 sets of 30 seconds. Hopefully I can build up to doing them longer because it was helping me lose inches of the gut. I'm ready for it!:bigsmile:
  • dlbond007
    dlbond007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I set a timer for 10 minutes and perform 2 different strength/resistance exercises (10 reps/set) and 1 30-sec plank using an exercise ball. I do the planks in front of a mirror to check my form and position.

Example of a full set: 10 squats (machine); 10 pull-ups; 30 second plank. Repeat as many times as possible in 10 minutes. I usually do 4 sets in 10 minutes, but the reps/set decrease with time and fatigue during the active exercise period.

SMarie10: another core exercise I enjoy is a modified push-up or plank or..??. Get in the push-up position. Pull your left elbow toward your right knee while pulling your right knee in toward your left elbow. Alternate - right elbow, left knee. Repeat 10 per set. I also use this exercise in place of the plank (above).

Congratulations on your weight loss - that's AWESOME!!
  • ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    im in! Here is a link on how to do a plank....
    http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

this shows you how to do both...
    http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/plank.html
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I can usually hold a plank for a good 2 minutes so I have adjusted and do different variation of them now.
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    great idea.... i've been wanting to get into them. good incentive!
  • BarBelle76
    Options
    Can normally do about 90 seconds, 3 times over. I don't find it particularly fun though! :-D
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    45sec to 1 min depending on what kind of plank i'm doing.. Have you guys tried jumping jax planks??? They are INSANE! My trainer introduced me to those last week and keeping good form is ridiculously hard, but when you do them right they are a heck of a workout!

Plank Jacks and Mountain Climbers, my two most hated exercises...
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I usually do one around 45 seconds. Then one a little longer.
    Then my last one I do until I can't hold it any longer.

You'll build up endurance with them quickly, and will be able to last longer. "thats what she said"

*SMACK* lol

I hold mine for 20 secs. I have some serious abs underneath all this flab. They are solid!! :tongue:

Oh I did Plank Jacks for the first time yesterday. This chic was introduce them to me in a Tabata video. OMG!! I was dying!
  • etroupe
    etroupe Posts: 54
    Options
    I can hold for 60 seconds : )
  • b00b0084
    Options
    im about to see how long i can do it right now
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I do 5 sets middle and 5 on each side

1 min a piece.....and when im done im on fire
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i love planks!! lets do it!!
  • bibliophile21
    Options
    I'm in! I just tried it & I lasted 45 seconds. I do them 2-3 times a week in my kickboxing video, but they aren't regular planks. For one section I bend & straighten my legs & then for another I alternate lifting my legs up. I can definitely start doing these on days that I'm not able to fit my video in though :)