Is the elliptical effective?

Options
So my workout consists of 20 minutes (high resistance) of elliptical, 20 minutes of circuit weights, and 15 of moderate treadmill (walking).

I can't run, so that's out for me (seriously hurts the girls). I've been surfing around and half the sites say the elliptical isn't worth my time and the other says fine. I know that the guy from Biggest Loser hates the elliptical, but I can't figure out why. I know that I sweat while I'm on it.

So, does anyone have a good article with actual science that confirms good or bad? I am NOT one of those people who enjoy the gym (although mine is used by local firemen so it's not so bad ;) and if I'm wasting my time I'll try something else.

The elliptical I use is called a cross trainer? With arms and a circular foot motion.

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's good. Keep it up. It's easy on the knees. :)

You can use it for 10 minutes to warm up before weights. You can also use it for 1/2 hour as your primary workout that day.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is excellent. That's how I lost the majority of my weight. Start at 20 minutes and up your time every week or so. Elliptical is my "comfort machine" at the gym, I always gravitate toward it.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I love mine and I can really feel it in my "muffin tops"!
  • christineschutte
    christineschutte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    here is an article of a trainer explaiing why the elliptical isn't his favorite machine:
    http://xweighted.ca/blog/why-paul-plakas-hates-the-elliptical-trainer-0
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If it gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat then it's and aerobic workout.

Just read the article. I might have to retract the above statement. There's a lot of logic in that article. I have never had or used one.

And never trust the calories burned on those machines. My treadmill shows more than double what I actually burn. Invest in a Polar HRM with a chest strap. (or if you have the money to spend invest in a BodyMedia Fit Armband).

and HIIT intervals should not be more than 20-30 minutes long or you risk burning up lean muscle mass rather than fat mass.
  • paigecrowe
    paigecrowe Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical too. I burn 600 calories in 45 minutes doing intervals.
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My elliptical is HARD! It is almost a combination between a stair stepper and an elliptical, even though it wasn't advertised that way. If it's NOT a good workout, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

Good question!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical..especially the kind you use! I would say keep at it, especially if its getting your heart rate up and you feel like it's working.
    Good luck!!
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical as my primary cardio. I go for 5 minute warmup 50 minutes of zone training and 5 minute cool down. Usually burn around 700 cals. per session. I like it better than a treadmill since it is easier on the joints and I can adjust the resistance to increase my HR. I do not last long while running in my upper HR zones but can stay on the eliptical with no problems.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I had 2 doctors reccomend it for my use because of a hip issue and arthritis in my leg joints. I love it and ahve lsot weight and toned using it. I lost about 20 lbs a few years back, jsut by doing 30-45 minutes 3-5 days a week onit. I didn't change any eating habits or do anything else!! I absolutely LOVE my elliptical. I always change which workout I do on it. Sometimes I do the Weight Loss mode, other times I do random mode, and other times I go for a straight out jog on walk/run mode.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    i dont have any scietific proof but I have never heard the elliptical being bad.....I am a runner so I love love to be outdoors and running but on my weight training days I use the elliptical. I do the H.I.I.T (High Intensity Interval Training) program on there. 60 second sprint and 30 second slower pace http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html
    I do this for 20 minutes and I burn and sweat just as much as if I am running out doors for 45 min so what ever floats your boat :smile:

I would like to believe any cardio other than your normal day is better than nothing, good luck to you!!
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've used it as pretty much my only cardio. I've lost 40lbs so far!
  • larmo22
    larmo22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i have lost most my weight due to the elliptical. it works for me. that plus my diet, i averaged about 1.5 lbs a week loss, but i did it almost every day.

unfortunately, i need to add weight training to my routine, so i have to change my workout! but thats a good thing, right?!

good luck!
  • Lou05
    Lou05 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

You can use it for 10 minutes to warm up before weights. You can also use it for 1/2 hour as your primary workout that day.

i would love to use this but find it hard on my knees :ohwell: am i doing it wrong, im guessing so
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    here is an article of a trainer explaining why the elliptical isn't his favorite machine:
    http://xweighted.ca/blog/why-paul-plakas-hates-the-elliptical-trainer-0

Thanks, that's actually the guy I was thinking of.

That is logical, and it might be the best one I've read. But I HATE that there's no hard science behind any of them. I'm losing weight now, so I'll probably keep doing what I'm doing until it doesn't work anymore. It's funny though, I do notice that I don't get as out of breath doing the every day things (like running up stairs) as I used to.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical! I work out on it probably 3-4 times a week and the other days I do a DVD for some weight training or I go for a run outside. I have lost 42lbs and I know the elliptical has helped me do it! I do the preset workouts that vary the resistence and I do interval of sprinting and jogging. I burn about 400-475 calories in 30 minutes!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

i would love to use this but find it hard on my knees :ohwell: am i doing it wrong, im guessing so

I've seen people who, when they're on the downward part, they lock their knees when their leg straightens. You should always have at least a soft bend in the knee. Locking it when it's straight over and over can cause discomfort.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Well hey if the firefighters are there that would be enough motivation for me ;) I use the elliptical probably 4 out of the 5 days I go to the gym, with eating better and going to the gym I have lost 30 lbs in the last 4 1/2 months, so I would say yes it works =) Good luck!!!!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I love love love my elliptical - it's my rainy day workout!! If I'm motivated enough to wake up earlier in the morning, I'll go on it for about 10-15 mins to get my day started and boost my metabolism.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think its great.
    I lost like 15 pounds when I started doing the elliptical a few times a week and started lifting weights.

It's not the same as running, but its effective .