carbs!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rockin33
    Rockin33 Posts: 58
    Options
    Paleo diet just makes no sense to me. If you eat what nature gave you, I'm pretty sure nature gave carbs.

Fat get produced from carbs... I mean... The whole thing makes no sense.

But nature did not combine bread, muffins, granola bars etc. If you eat fruit, veggies, oats etc. they are carbs but in natural form. That is what I understand about paleo diet. I am not following that diet in particular but I can see how a bagel does not fit into that equation.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to get 45 to 65 percent of you daily calories from carbohydrates. So just multiply your recommended cals by .65 and that's you prime number. Then 25 percent are fat calories and 10 percent from protein. Obviously these numbers can vary, these are just guidelines..

Agreed. That's about where I fall too, although I may vary anywhere within the RANGE endorsed by the Cooper Institute (Fat: 20% to 35%, Protein 10% to 35%, and Carbs 45% to 65%), depending on my activity, goals and just "life."

Those ranges have worked GREAT for me in terms of losing a significant number of pounds (close to 100 ... 76 since joining MFP) and MORE importantly, really dropping my body fat percentage and increasing my lean muscle mass (and getting my medical numbers together -- my doctor is THRILLED) and keeping it that way for almost four years. I've had the same success with my clients. Not trendy. Not complicated. Just a balanced, sustainable way of eating.

Find your own healthy sweet spot and go for it! :)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do - I eat carbs... BUT I try to stick to complex carbs (brocolli, tomatoes, berries, etc.). Maybe an english muffin or a slice of whole grain toast for breakfast - but RARELY pasta or potatoes (and I really, really try to stay away from processed foods or sugar... no, I'm not always successful but I try). When you eat "Clean", you don't really need to count your carbs. Of course, this is only my opinion and not based on any medical documentation so take it for what it's worth.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet just makes no sense to me. If you eat what nature gave you, I'm pretty sure nature gave carbs.

I eat carbs...........the carbs are in the form of vegetables.

Read some of the books, it makes perfect sense.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do - I eat carbs... BUT I try to stick to complex carbs (brocolli, tomatoes, berries, etc.). Maybe an english muffin or a slice of whole grain toast for breakfast - but RARELY pasta or potatoes (and I really, really try to stay away from processed foods or sugar... no, I'm not always successful but I try). When you eat "Clean", you don't really need to count your carbs. Of course, this is only my opinion and not based on any medical documentation so take it for what it's worth.

Amen. Good common sense. :)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

I read plenty of books and studies on the subject and many other diets. I've read most of the references from websites like cross fit trying to understand it.

I understand you eat carbs, but why so little? I never read anything that fully explained why. It always just says crap about insulin spikes... But that's only simple carbs. Yet you eat fruits that are made up of simple carbs. This all follows the paleo diet but it contradicts yourself. I have access to plenty of nutritionists and doctors (a decent amount into sports medicine), not once did I hear the paleo diet is the way to go. It seems barely 1% (if even that) of the medical community endorses it.

Yet eating fat that requires more energy to breakdown into energy is the thing to do? What happens when you run out of carbs that provide the quick energy? Your body starts breaking down muscles. Is that the goal? To have no muscle mass what so ever?

I'd love the see an ACTUAL scientific study showing me other wise.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

But can you please give us your source from where you found that a healthy diet is 70% fat? :smile:
  • Grokette
    Options

But can you please give us your source from where you found that a healthy diet is 70% fat? :smile:

Read The Primal Blue Print, Go to the website Mark's Daily Apple, go to Dr Mercola's website. Read ANY of the blogs or books by Gary Taubes or Dr Mary Enig.

There are plenty of sources..........
  • Grokette
    Options

I read plenty of books and studies on the subject and many other diets.

I understand you eat carbs, but why so little? I never read anything that fully explained why. It always just says crap about insulin spikes... But that's only simple carbs.

Actually NO it is not just simple carbs. Any carbs and protein cause an insulin response. Fats do not.
  • mrphil86
    Options

I understand you eat carbs, but why so little? I never read anything that fully explained why. It always just says crap about insulin spikes... But that's only simple carbs.

Actually NO it is not just simple carbs. Any carbs and protein cause an insulin response. Fats do not.

And those references you stated (I have read parts of the primal blueprint before.) have no real scientific backing.
  • Grokette
    Options

And those references you stated (I have read parts of the primal blueprint before.) have no real scientific backing.

Two words for you. Gary Taubes.............

http://www.garytaubes.com/blog/

A lecture he gave at Dartmouth........

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4362041487661765149
  • mrphil86
    Options

So this guy is an authority on health?

What is his qualification?
    Gary Taubes (born April 30, 1956) is an American science writer. He is the author of Nobel Dreams (1987), Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion (1993), and Good Calories, Bad Calories (2007), which is titled The Diet Delusion in the UK. He has won the Science in Society Award of the National Association of Science Writers three times and was awarded an MIT Knight Science Journalism Fellowship for 1996-97.

Born in Rochester, New York, Taubes studied applied physics at Harvard and aerospace engineering at Stanford (MS, 1978). After receiving a master’s degree in journalism at Columbia University in 1981, Taubes joined Discover magazine as a staff reporter in 1982. Since then he has written numerous articles for Discover, Science and other magazines. Originally focusing on physics issues, his interests have more recently turned to medicine and nutrition.

Taubes’ books have all dealt with scientific controversies. Nobel Dreams takes a critical look at the politics and experimental techniques behind the Nobel Prize-winning work of physicist Carlo Rubbia. Bad Science is a chronicle of the short-lived media frenzy surrounding the Pons-Fleischmann cold fusion experiments of 1989.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Some words for you. Do you have any real studie references? Or just blogs? Anyone can write anything in a blog. Do you really believe everything posted anywhere on the net?
  • Grokette
    Options

Some words for you. Do you have any real studie references? Or just blogs? Anyone can write anything in a blog. Do you really believe everything posted anywhere on the net?

Gary Taubes is a world renowned research scientist. I have read all of his books and also keep up with his blog.
  • Grokette
    Options

Gary Taubes (born April 30, 1956) is an American science writer. He is the author of Nobel Dreams (1987), Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion (1993), and Good Calories, Bad Calories (2007), which is titled The Diet Delusion in the UK. He has won the Science in Society Award of the National Association of Science Writers three times and was awarded an MIT Knight Science Journalism Fellowship for 1996-97.

Born in Rochester, New York, Taubes studied applied physics at Harvard and aerospace engineering at Stanford (MS, 1978). After receiving a master’s degree in journalism at Columbia University in 1981, Taubes joined Discover magazine as a staff reporter in 1982. Since then he has written numerous articles for Discover, Science and other magazines. Originally focusing on physics issues, his interests have more recently turned to medicine and nutrition.

Taubes’ books have all dealt with scientific controversies. Nobel Dreams takes a critical look at the politics and experimental techniques behind the Nobel Prize-winning work of physicist Carlo Rubbia. Bad Science is a chronicle of the short-lived media frenzy surrounding the Pons-Fleischmann cold fusion experiments of 1989.

The science community and medical community finds him credible.
  • mrphil86
    Options

The science community and medical community finds him credible.

Says WHO?! 2 doctors?!
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Gary Taubes is a world renowned research scientist. I have read all of his books and also keep up with his blog.

Ok, Read This http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/big-fat-fake
    Gary Taubes is just another moron who makes things up as he goes along. No references to any credible studies on his blog anywhere.
  • sana66
    sana66 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hey i tink every1 has their own way ov losing weight and people should stick to the figures that work for them and that they are happy with..:)
    im trying t stay away from 'bad processed carbs' but nt sure wt i can still eat...are brown bread, brown pasta good carbs? and in terms ov cereal for breakfast, im eating weetabix and not sure if cornflakes fits into the 'good carbs' ccatogory..same for jacket potato..are they good or bad?
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    hey i tink every1 has their own way ov losing weight and people should stick to the figures that work for them and that they are happy with..:)
    im trying t stay away from 'bad processed carbs' but nt sure wt i can still eat...are brown bread, brown pasta good carbs? and in terms ov cereal for breakfast, im eating weetabix and not sure if cornflakes fits into the 'good carbs' ccatogory..same for jacket potato..are they good or bad?

I really agree that everyone is a bit different and what works for some won't work for others. I've read a lot in the past few weeks about carbs and sugar and I'm trying a sort of bespoke combination of Primal/Clean/Low GI and it's working brilliantly so far. I've ditched anything termed "low fat" and gone for full fat dairy (in massive moderation - I don't eat loads anyway) and as few processed carbs as possible (I have a slice of rye bread with my breakfast but I chose one that has very few ingredients and is not mass produced). I'm having a bit of wild or basmati rice (basmati being very low GI) or quinoa and getting the rest of my carbs from vegies and a bit of fruit. I would NOT consider any cereal or pasta to be a good carb because it's all very, very processed. I think bread in moderation is OK if it's very low GI and preferably home made or from a bakery not a factory (check the number of ingredients and be sure you know what they all are). I'm personally on the fence about potatoes - I try to limit them and stick to baby new potatoes (lower GI) and sweet potatoes when I have them....

I have to say that I feel considerably better for having upped my fat intake (mostly with avocado, nuts, and flaxseed oil) and ditched most everything processed.... We'll see what the scale says come my next weigh in but I do feel lighter.