Oatmeal - How long does it take to get used to it???

Options
grace173
grace173 Posts: 180 Member
I just started eating oatmeal today and I was almost getting sick eating it but I really want to try to eat it. I got the plain Quaker oats and used 1/2 cup of oats with 1 cup of boiling water and a spoon of honey.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as to how to make it nicer! My husband says to use milk instead of water but I think that will defie the purpose of eating it (low cal) and also that it keeps you full and in fairness I do feel full.

Replies

• Ash10Dent
    Ash10Dent Posts: 75
    Options
    I always mix truvia in mine to make it sweet. I hate oatmeal too!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Add some fruit, fresh or frozen! Maybe some cinnamon. Or stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i think pretty much you either like it or you dont
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, in my opinion, is disgusting. Just find something else to eat.
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    try different kinds of oatmeal! personally, i looove scottish oatmeal's texture, so nubbly. also, try mixing in some fruit - apple pieces and raisins work really well.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    you can always add some cinnamon& raisins add make it a little sweet with splenda or low cal. sweetner
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have tried many times to eat oatmeal and never had any luck but for the past month or so I have grown to crave it and actually like it. It may not be the best for me but I eat the low sugar maple and brown sugar.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    Every morning I eat the sugar fee brown sugar oatmeal at 100 calories and mix it with water. I add 1 tbsp of chopped walnuts, sweet n low and cinnamon and it's real yummy and it's 150 calories.
  • tdjones00
    tdjones00 Posts: 68
    Options
    Try fat free milk, nuts, dried fruit.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try mixing in apple slices and cinnamon (and/or pumpkin pie spice) into it or fresh berries (i really like black berries) with a dash of salt and cinnamon. for me i need to have cinnamon in my oatmeal or i just cant eat it... best of luck :)
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I luuuurve oatmeal!!! Water is disgusting with oatmeal, you might as well not eat it, haha. I think you should definitely use milk, semi skimmed perhaps? Maybe use soya milk as an alternative?
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of brown sugar and raisins in mine. A little cinnamon is good too. I also make mine with skim/fat free milk.
  • twinsmommaplus1
    twinsmommaplus1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love making Baked Oatmeal! Today I have Blueberry Rhubarb! The other day Strawberry! I have some recipes on my fb page under discussions.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yakima-WA/The-New-Me-Healthy-and-Fit/209434182416973#!/pages/Yakima-WA/The-New-Me-Healthy-and-Fit/209434182416973
  • crystalDRA
    crystalDRA Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i used splenda (0 cals), sugar free hazelnut coffee creamer (low cals but can't remember the exact numer), and parkay spray butter (0 cals) in mine today and it was actually very good and most importantly, filling. the oats were also cooked in water to keep the cals lower
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I mix in Splenda Brown Sugar Blend and I sub 1/4 cup water for 1/4 Mrs. Butterworth's Sugar Free Maple Syrup. I like to cook it all together with 1/2 cup of water in the microwave because it seems to bake in the flavor a bit.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    some folks prefer Steel cut over rolled oats.... I like PLAIN, NON-FLAVORED instant oatmeal just fine.... sometimes I add a lil Stevia to it....

my kids mix plain or greek yogurt into it, not that it gives any taste, just makes it cool faster and a creamy consistency
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I use the flavored instant oatmeal - I am not sure I could try it any other way
    I like the Quaker Weight control maple and brown sugar
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Forcing yourself to eat something you hate is not a good start. Healthy eating is not a punishment. Don't eat it anymore!!
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    I use raisins regularly & when I want to "splurge" I throw in a banana or even make it with milk!!
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Agree, you either like it or you don't. I LOVE it! I make mine in the microwave with 3/4 water and some frozen blueberries and add about 1/2 cup low fat milk after it's cooked. I also like to add applesauce and cinnamon and maybe some nuts. Keeps me going strong till lunch time. Good Luck!