What does Morality mean to you?

Options
124»

Replies

• momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Fascinating topic... I believe too that most of your moral/ethics is in how you are raised... and following the Golden Rule kinda puts it all into prospective...

The part of the your moral/ethics coming into play is when NO ONE is getting hurt (okay, maybe except yourself) but you still do it... case in point - I'm seeing someone right now... neither of us is married, I'm more attached than he is, sex is great, other great things - lots in common, but I know things won't go farther than what they are because he doesn't fullfill my emotional needs... so it this morally wrong? I guess we are both using each other to a point...
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    I take the Kantian philosophy of morality: if my actions could be sustained in a system where everyone acts just like me, then my actions are moral.

Example: Is lying moral? No, because if everyone were to lie, then the system would break down, since we would all be liars and no one could trust any one else. Is being a good friend moral?Yes, because if everyone's a good friend, then the system is sustained, because we're all good friends to each other.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This is the answer I was looking for! This is exactly dead on the response I was hoping someone would come up with. There is no such thing as a good or bad person or someone that is right or wrong in the world. Maybe in a situation or instance you may see or view them as a wrong doer but to assume that the person is bad by one action is just harst and judgemental in itself.

Maybe not in absolute terms, but there are most definitely good and bad people; those who do right and wrong; just and unjust. We were all born with a conscience and intuition. It's just some of us seem to ignore those things more and less than others. Bottom line is that it is up to the individual to determine what he/she is willing to sacrifice in order to do what they believe is right and for no one else to judge whether that person is good or bad. However we can make a determination of whether their actions are good or not.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    But it wouldn't be sustainable if everyone in the world lived in a city (no food production) or drove a car, or got through as much food as we in the West do, or heated their houses as we do, or even if we collectively carry on doing the same as we are doing now...so by that philosophy, simply living in what we consider a normal way in the West is more immoral than infidelity, which is perfectly sustainable, if not very nice.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Cheater.....

How dare you! It's one of my favourite films.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This is the answer I was looking for! This is exactly dead on the response I was hoping someone would come up with. There is no such thing as a good or bad person or someone that is right or wrong in the world. Maybe in a situation or instance you may see or view them as a wrong doer but to assume that the person is bad by one action is just harst and judgemental in itself.

Maybe not in absolute terms, but there are most definitely good and bad people; those who do right and wrong; just and unjust. We were all born with a conscience and intuition. It's just some of us seem to ignore those things more and less than others. Bottom line is that it is up to the individual to determine what he/she is willing to sacrifice in order to do what they believe is right and for no one else to judge whether that person is good or bad. However we can make a determination of whether their actions are good or not.

I think this is what our "20's" are all about. Until then, I think the mother's heart is the child's classroom. When we are in our twenties, we begin to define for ourselves what our MVP's are, how they apply to us, and what kind of person we choose to be.

"Words and thoughts tell the story about life...action tells the truth." (forgot who said that)
    Ethics are nothing more than doing what's right when no one's looking. (forget who said that too)
    "Do not SAY things! For what you are stands above you and thunders about you so that I cannot hear what you say to the contrary!" RW Emerson
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Matthew 22:37-40

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Those two pretty much cover all possible situations for me.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Not true at all. People judge people on one action alone and it could be a terrible person doing something good or vice versa. I know from experience two of my closest friends thought I was a *kitten* bad person by judging me on the first interaction with me but soon after being around me enough they realized their judgement call was to instant and should of been made after giving me time to be me.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

I second that. :flowerforyou:
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Oh no. Biblical quotes. Glad when I think of this I compare it to Star Wars.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Oh no. Biblical quotes. Glad when I think of this I compare it to Star Wars.
    [/quote

Here is the original question: " who taught you what morality is and what your morals are? What in your life dictates what is good and what is bad?"

Scripture is a valid answer to that question. It may not be YOUR answer, but it is mine.

I Cor. 1:18, "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

It may be something different to me than to you, but that is not extraordinary.