GAINED 10 POUNDS???

Options
Silly little (well, not little) me. I decided to get on the scale on Sunday, after months of fresh produce, raw nuts & dried fruits, and breaking up with my beloved froo-froo coffee drinks. I waited months to weigh myself, because I didn't want to get discouraged. I knew that if I hopped on too early, I'd be setting myself up for disappointment. So, after months, on Sunday, I decided to go for it. I had finally noticed a significant change in body shape, and it was time to reinforce and update my account with the good news.

Do you know what that nasty little scale said to me? It told me that I have GAINED 10 pounds. GAINED. Months of produce and turning down delicious junk food... months of eating raw this and boring that... months of walking every and any chance I got, because I didn't have time for aerobics.

So, I axe you, myfitnesspal friends. W. T. H. ?? How is it possible, to switch to all those raw foods, and get all that low-impact, non-muscle-forming exercise, and finally believe that the thinner face and tighter butt in the mirror belong to me, and have GAINED 10 pounds? I am not working out enough (or aerobically) to consider it muscle. 10 pounds is way too much to be water weight, especially since I should have lost something. I have significantly bettered my consumption. I swear I LOOK thinner.

So, what gives?? I am seriously asking. How is this possible? Has this happened to anyone? All I can think of is that I'm deluding myself and in reality it's as clear as the fat on my thighs - I have gained weight. I don't look better. It's all in my head and I am very obviously 5' 6" and 195 pounds.

Help!!

Replies

• b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    you can still gain muscle doing things the way you are. i wouldnt let it upset you too much. 10 pounds in months (however many) isnt that bad i usually gain 10 pound in ONE month. you will start seeing negatives soon!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Well have you been logging? Eating 3000 calories from chocolate or from produce and nuts will still cause weight gain...
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The key is that you said you have seen a difference in your body shape...are you feeling good? do you have more energy? if so it's progress, keep at it! You may have to make some adjustments but you've made progress if you're feeling better than you did when you started (before you looked at the scale) :)
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    you can still gain muscle doing things the way you are. i wouldnt let it upset you too much. 10 pounds in months (however many) isnt that bad i usually gain 10 pound in ONE month. you will start seeing negatives soon!

You dont just accidentally gain muscle. Takes lifting heavy things to gain significant muscle mass or everyone would be ripped
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Also I noticed you're 20 lower than your highest weight...that's nothing too sneeze at, good job!
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    Looking at your food diary there is room for improvement, but I also see net loss more often than net gain. Are you logging religiously/exactly?

Do you have a food scale? If you don't, $20 will get you a reliable and cheap one. I weigh my foods to the gram. Even in recipes.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Well have you been logging? Eating 3000 calories from chocolate or from produce and nuts will still cause weight gain...

True. Calories are calories. It's just math. Thats like saying I can eat 5000calories of apples and strawberries and expect to lose weight. It's not just WHAT you eat but HOW MUCH of it as well!!!

None the less.....start logging your eating habits if you arent and portion control. I dam near measure everything i eat.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    ok, go jump on the scales again now and see if theyre still saying the same...if you moved your scale there's a good chance of you getting different readings, if the floor is at all uneven you will get big differences in the readings, to rule out the scales try it again, in a few places one of them being a solid floor and tell us the results
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    My first thing is Wow great job on giving that all up. Great job on working out. And how wonderful that you noticed a change in your face and rear quarters. :) Did you by any chance take any measurements when you started?

I truely hate the scale. I'm telling you hate it. However, I've lost over 25 inches off my body since I've started and dropped at least two sizes. I will tell you that my scale number hasn't moved in over 3 mo. Really!

Hang in there our bodies are a wild little machine and to notice and to have your clothes fit better is what it's really all about. I figure I'm going to build all of this muscle mass (lean of course), get healthy (I already can't stand fast food and really don't dig sugar), and then one day the rest of the fat is going to melt right off of me and I'll be even "hotter" than I am now LOL>

Seriously though how many calories are you eating? What's your true BMR? I think this site gives too low of numbers and when I first started I had a BMR of 1800 and was only eating 1200 and I put my body into starvation mode and didn't lose. Then it took a while till I started feeding it correctly and things normaled out.

So take what you weight (210) I think I saw. Then multiply by 10 so = 2100 now subtract 400-500 cals and that's what you should be eating. So 1700-1800 a day. Where are you? If your activity is higher you may want to up it. I know it sounds strange but you need to fuel your body so that it will perform and then you know what will happen. :)

Hang in there I KNOW it's so Frustrating.... But you see a difference so there is one there. :) If I can ever help let me know.

B
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You can put on tens of pounds of fat from nuts and fruits! Are you measuring (weighing) and counting your calories or just expecting that eating so called "health" items will do the trick? My pat question to posts like this is: "Are you measuring EVERYTHING that passes your lips and are you accurately determining your calorie burn?"
    Don't get discouraged. Get a systematic approach so you are not fooling yourself. You CAN do this

Good luck!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options

You dont just accidentally gain muscle. Takes lifting heavy things to gain significant muscle mass or everyone would be ripped
    i didnt say you would gain alot, but the muscles to go from weak and flabby to more toned with aerobics, I have an 18" calf from walking so yeah it happens.
  • makmyra
    makmyra Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A simple thing i tried was dropping my calories for the day to 1200...I saw that u had 1500. And bring on lotsa water!! Whatever u do...don't give up! :flowerforyou: You could add me if you'd like and we could get thru this together!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Thank you! You're right - if it was gained over months, it makes a little more sense and isn't as sudden as it seems. Thanks!!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options

Yup, I have been logging, and mostly staying within the calorie limit. That's why I'm so surprised :) Thanks!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    The key is that you said you have seen a difference in your body shape...are you feeling good? do you have more energy? if so it's progress, keep at it! You may have to make some adjustments but you've made progress if you're feeling better than you did when you started (before you looked at the scale) :)

Ah, yes, maybe it's a good idea to not weigh myself at all - at least until I'm down a few clothes sizes. I do feel better, and you're right - that's important. Thank you!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    Looking at your food diary there is room for improvement, but I also see net loss more often than net gain. Are you logging religiously/exactly?

Do you have a food scale? If you don't, $20 will get you a reliable and cheap one. I weigh my foods to the gram. Even in recipes.

That's a good idea! I've been counting out the individual nuts and things, but maybe I'm still overdoing it. Thanks!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options

True. Calories are calories. It's just math. Thats like saying I can eat 5000calories of apples and strawberries and expect to lose weight. It's not just WHAT you eat but HOW MUCH of it as well!!!

None the less.....start logging your eating habits if you arent and portion control. I dam near measure everything i eat.

I'm definitely measuring and counting calories, but maybe I need to fine tune it. Thank you!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    don't be discouraged just keep pushing on.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    ok, go jump on the scales again now and see if theyre still saying the same...if you moved your scale there's a good chance of you getting different readings, if the floor is at all uneven you will get big differences in the readings, to rule out the scales try it again, in a few places one of them being a solid floor and tell us the results

I actually checked the scale by putting a couple of 2 pound weights, and then taking them off individually. So, it's unfortunately accurate. But I like your thinking! :) Thank you!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    My first thing is Wow great job on giving that all up. Great job on working out. And how wonderful that you noticed a change in your face and rear quarters. :) Did you by any chance take any measurements when you started?

I truely hate the scale. I'm telling you hate it. However, I've lost over 25 inches off my body since I've started and dropped at least two sizes. I will tell you that my scale number hasn't moved in over 3 mo. Really!

Hang in there our bodies are a wild little machine and to notice and to have your clothes fit better is what it's really all about. I figure I'm going to build all of this muscle mass (lean of course), get healthy (I already can't stand fast food and really don't dig sugar), and then one day the rest of the fat is going to melt right off of me and I'll be even "hotter" than I am now LOL>

Seriously though how many calories are you eating? What's your true BMR? I think this site gives too low of numbers and when I first started I had a BMR of 1800 and was only eating 1200 and I put my body into starvation mode and didn't lose. Then it took a while till I started feeding it correctly and things normaled out.

So take what you weight (210) I think I saw. Then multiply by 10 so = 2100 now subtract 400-500 cals and that's what you should be eating. So 1700-1800 a day. Where are you? If your activity is higher you may want to up it. I know it sounds strange but you need to fuel your body so that it will perform and then you know what will happen. :)

Hang in there I KNOW it's so Frustrating.... But you see a difference so there is one there. :) If I can ever help let me know.

B

A wild little machine - I love it! Yes, I think you're onto something with the no scale theory. I was feeling great until I got on that cursed thing. I do feel good, and my co-workers have said I look better. So, no more scale until it learns how to behave itself. Thank you!!