Options

Replies

• Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Teraswhey Organic Dark Chocolate whey protein :love:
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    I take GNC pro amp 60 chocolate protein. I take one scoop in the morning with my oatmeal to give it better taste then I take two more scoops with water and two vitamins as close to the end of my workout as possible. I get 60 grams of protein from it with a small amount of calories and it tastes pretty good. I'm thinking about switching to BSN syntha 6 but its way more expensive so I'm not too sure about it. Either way, something is better than nothing but don't cheap out on your protein. Make sure you're getting 15-20 grams of protein per scoop so you're not getting lots of fillers and other crap in there.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was weary of investing in a large container of protein powder. Any time I have been given a sample, the flavor has been repulsive. Not to mention that the concept of powdered nutrition has always been a bit off-putting to me, So I did some research to see if there was anyway to get the benefits of a protein shake, without using a powder and I found a recipe using ingredients you can find at a regular grocery store.

Here are the basic ingredients

1-2 cups milk
    1/2 cup part skim milk ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup non-fat cottage cheese
    4 ounces non-fat yogurt
    1 tbl heavy cream
    1 tbl healthy fat oil (almond, walnut, flax, olive, or coconut)
    fresh or frozen fruit

You can read an explanation of each of the ingredients here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/87006-make-protein-shake-protein-powder/

NOTE: I use Greek yogurt, 1% milk, and cottage cheese with 4% fat (non-fat is too high in sodium for me), and I add cocoa powder instead of fruit. This makes two servings for me, depending on your calorie or protein needs this may make more or less servings for you. Calorie breakdown will be different if you add fruit and use skim/non-fat dairy.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 427 g

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 300
    Calories from Fat 108
    Total Fat 12.0g
    Saturated Fat 7.6g
    Cholesterol 50mg
    Sodium 457mg
    Total Carbohydrates 21.6g
    Sugars 17.1g
    Protein 26.2g
    Vitamin A 18%
    Vitamin C 1%
    Calcium 61%
    Iron 3%
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty simple. Body fortress Vanilla Whey Protein 2 scoops and 30 ounces of water. I think it tastes pretty good.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Here's mine -- my favorite post-workout smoothie. It's got to be a long hard run or ride, though, cause it's high in calories.

1 ripe banana
    1-2 cups ice
    a big handful of spinach
    1/2 - 3/4 cup low fat chocolate milk
    2 TBS peanut butter
    1 TBS honey

Blend until smooth. Enjoy.

Calories: 457
    Carbs: 48g
    Fat: 25g
    Protein: 16g
    Fiber: 7g
  • ndhr3d
    ndhr3d Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dang... the custom mixes sound good... but most are too high in Carb, Saturated Fats and Sodium for my liking on a one serving drink unless I'm completely replacing a meal!

If you want to gain, Muscle Milk is the way to go... DELICIOUS and yes, it is on the carbier/fattier side, but that's what your body uses as energy and to gain muscle, which by the sound of the original post, is what you want.

I am cutting... so I'm drinking a low fat mix from AtLargeNutrition called Nitrean... a mix of whey and casein proteins with little extra garbage... not the greatest tasting, but it get's the job done!
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I take GNC pro amp 60 chocolate protein. I take one scoop in the morning with my oatmeal to give it better taste then I take two more scoops with water and two vitamins as close to the end of my workout as possible. I get 60 grams of protein from it with a small amount of calories and it tastes pretty good. I'm thinking about switching to BSN syntha 6 but its way more expensive so I'm not too sure about it. Either way, something is better than nothing but don't cheap out on your protein. Make sure you're getting 15-20 grams of protein per scoop so you're not getting lots of fillers and other crap in there.

+1 for Pro amp 60 although I use the vanilla. Mixes very well and tastes great.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ^^ you like paying more for supps than you have to?

Avoid GNC and you could get good protein brands for reasonable prices.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would have to say the best protein shakes by far are Nutrilite protein shakes. They come in chocolate, vanilla and mixed berry smoothie. They are premixed and don't need to be refrigerated until opened (taste the best chilled) they go down really smooth.

"Nutrilite protein shakes contain 25g of protein and help maintain lean body mass. They contain the exclusive Nutrilite C-Lenium Blend, which provides antioxidant protection from harmful free radicals generated by intense and prolonged exercise. No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives."
    Vanilla nutrition facts:
    Cals: 160
    Total fat: 6g
    Sat. fat.: 1g
    Trans: 0g
    Sodium: 300mg
    Potassium: 360mg
    Carbs: 4g
    Fiber: 3g
    Sugar: 0g
    Protein: 25g

30% Calcium
    10% Selenium
    100% Vitamin C
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ^^ you like paying more for supps than you have to?

Avoid GNC and you could get good protein brands for reasonable prices.

I'm open to suggestions. Can you recommend a comparable brand and location where I could buy? I've tried protein powders from the typical big box stores without much luck. They lacked in taste and consistency when mixing.
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started Herballife protein shakes and got it in cookies and cream flavor. It is REALLY good but REALLY $$$! I also got there green tea, which it suppose to increase your metabolism. So far I am enjoying the easy meals that I don't hav to put any thought into.
  • JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I am new here, do the protein shakes really help you to lose weight? I have been trying to lose weight for some time now and I am hopefully on my way.
  • JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    Options
    Hi everyone I am new here, do the protein shakes really help you to lose weight? I have been trying to lose weight for some time now and I am hopefully on my way.

Well i dunno about losing weight just by taking a protein shake. But i've been researching protein shakes and this is what i have learned so far:

Protein is one of the body's main building blocks for muscle, bone, skin, and other tissues.

therefore protein help repair damage to muscles that can occur with vigorously working out.

"If your goal is to lose body fat, change to a protein shake that's mainly protein, has fewer carbohydrates, and only a little bit of fat, such as Slim-Fast. 'Make sure the product is more than 50% protein if your goal is body fat loss', Antonio says" www.webmd.com
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options

"If your goal is to lose body fat, change to a protein shake that's mainly protein, has fewer carbohydrates, and only a little bit of fat, such as Slim-Fast. 'Make sure the product is more than 50% protein if your goal is body fat loss', Antonio says" www.webmd.com

But Slim fast is 200 cals a go.. surely you would gain weight using this?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Im a Shakeology girl myself -- protein, low glycemic index and yummy.
    150 calories per servings - I usually add a tsp of PB2 and 1/2 a banana!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I recently made the switch to Jay Robb protein. it's very low fat, low sodium, and no unnecessary additives.
  • timplar
    timplar Posts: 19
    Options
    Here a a couple of products I love, Lean Dessert and Syntha-6 by BSN. You can't miss them, they come is a red container. BSN products are practically the best in the market.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    NOW sports whey isolate
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Isopure Low Carb No Sugar Whey Isolate in Dutch Chocolate
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty simple. Body fortress Vanilla Whey Protein 2 scoops and 30 ounces of water. I think it tastes pretty good.

This is what I have been using. I did switch up and get the Jillian Michaels whey protein this time. There is a few less calories but not as much protein. I will go back to BF when I finish up the JM's whey protein.