Who hates cardio? I DO! I DO!

Options
I love lifting. LoveloveloveloveLOVE it. If I could just lift and never do cardio I'd be a happy camper.

I hate cardio.

HATE IT.

With an immense hatred of doom that could burn up the entire planet.

But I know it's important, so I do it. I've tried lots of stuff: I own an elliptical, I've done interval training, I've tried running, biking fast-walking, various aerobic workout DVD's, kickboxing, step classes, dancing (GAH I AM SO UNCOORDINATED) blahblahblah. Right now I lift 3 days a week and do various cardio workouts (oh, how I abhor you cardio!) 3 days a week. I don't enjoy ANY of it.

You know how people say, "Oh, I feel so good after a hard workout! It feels so good to have worked so hard!"

I don't feel like that. I feel sweaty and pant-y and tired and annoyed, and generally want to go all MURDERDEATHKILL on the closest human target.

But I seriously want to be healthy and in shape and have better stamina, so I really want to push past my burning hatred and find something that works better for me.

So...who else hates cardio like I do? What have you found that makes you hate it less? What works for you? Any other tips for me?

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it. Stay away from the cardio machines and take a fun class instead that works your tail off. I suggest cardio kickboxing, Zumba, or a form of power yoga. Many teachers at my gym HATE the cardio machines. Don't use them. Do something else that's fun to burn that fat!!!!
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I dislike cardio too....I just power through it because I know it is good for me!! I too love lifting.....if I am not careful...I could really bulk up!!!

I don't have any suggestions...I just understand you!!!!
  • kps1104
    kps1104 Posts: 58
    Options
    actually I am the opposite, lol! I hate any type of lifting, toning, you name it. I love my zumba class! even though I am very uncoordinated it's the one place I have found that I can have fun, the class goes by so fast, and I get a great workout! plus it helps that I just love my instructor :P I wish I enjoyed lifting weights or toning, but I can't stand it :P
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio just about as much as you, but I know I need to do it as part of my weight loss. I'm interested to see the responses.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I loved my eliptical. Now that its broken im resulting to running and i hate it. Ill buy zumba for my next goal met
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio too! I still do it, probably not as intense as I should.
    I am doing a kettlebell workout that I love and it has some cardio in it, but not enought to make me hate the workout.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It combines strength, cardio, and abs into a 20 minute workout. I like it becuase I feel like I've actually accomplished something at the end of it. It makes getting in a good workout much, much more enjoyable
  • RonieLisbeth
    Options
    lol ilove cardio on some days what you can do is drink more water before workin out .. but not right before workin out cus then you'll have to pee lol. you can listen to really hyped songs and that helps too, or songs that describe a girl as sexy and fine ( rap music ) it gives me motivation , it's like iwant to be that girl and have people envy me and think damn she hot.
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I tend to hate what I am not currently doing. So when I am on a cardio kick, I HATE lifting weights. When I am on a weights kick, I HATE cardio. Sounds like you are on a better track than I as you seem to still be doing both pretty evenly.
  • Quintan1
    Quintan1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I hate cardio too! I walk 5 miles at Stone Mountain Park at less 4 days a week , and some weekends. I love it, because it helps release stress, and the park is very beautiful. I get a full workout because of the hills, some go upwards, and some are downwards. On a good day I finish the 5 miles in 1 hour and 6 mins. That's with walking fast, and some running. On a ok day I might finish in 1 hour and 15mins. Like you sometimes I am very tired after my workout for the next 2 days, then my energy level picks back up.I would like to try other cardio, but I hate to go to the gym! I am thinking about doing Zumba. :)
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I HATE IT TOO!!! But, I do luv Zumba, and spinning! The cardio where I can burn the most amount of calories in the least amount of time is great! And Zumba to me is like going out dancing with my friends, you just have to find a fun class with a good instructor.
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've always hated cardio as well. Even when I wrestled, I would love the 2 hour practice and hate the 30 minute cardio session. If you're like me you hate the feeling you get when pushing it too hard. When i run I cant hold back it's just not in my nature to take it easy. When I do that my legs get cramps and lungs burn after a mile. I just started c25k last week and I feel much better. You can still go hard but they throw in walking breaks for you. Because there is so much walking I run during the last cool down to get an extra .4-.6 miles but this program made me kind of enjoy running!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am starting to not like it. I do like using machines, but I can't really afford a gym membership, and it isn't very close to my house. And I have no room for any equipment.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Landscaping projects! It's a cardio workout that you can actually SEE and ENJOY when it's done. :-) Take on a big project. Till a plot for a garden using a shovel and hoe. Remove sod and level a place to build a tiny gazebo. Design a flower garden over an area that needs massive weeding. Implement xeroscaping into the plan.

My husband and I cleared and leveled a spot for our 24' above ground pool a couple summers ago by hand - no backhoe equipment, just shovels and levels. MAN was that a workout! :-) And we still reap the benefits!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of cardio either. That is why I do Metabolic Resistance Training instead. It is also called Cardio Strength Training. Check out my blog for more information http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Haha, I'm with you there. I take spin class twice a week. I have to really psyche myself to do it each time. I love it but I hate it all at the same time. I wish I could say I feel amazing after but usually I feel drained and wet and my legs feel like marshmellows...
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I hate long periods of cardio,like sticking to one machine gets so boring,aaah I get bored easily,I'm a machine hopper,
    but I've learnt I need to stick to one a bit longer to build my endurance....:sad: :grumble:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha. Great OP.

I despise cardio. In the gym. I do it but through gritted teeth especially LISS (low intensity steady state.)

However, outside the gym I like it much more. Rowing on the river is such a great experience. I don't like the treadmill much but wind sprints on a football pitch rocks. Try lots of things and find what you enjoy. I like doing it outdoors I guess ;)
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I also HATE Cardio…
    HOWEVER with that said I still started the P90X and found that the Plyo cardio DVD is actually fun. They only have you do something for 30 seconds or for a minute. So you are constantly changing what you’re doing. Running and machines get boring really fast to me. But I think shifting cardio moves (even if it’s your own made up program) jump rope for 30 seconds, then do jumping jacks for 30 seconds if you are able to mix it up like that it makes it a little bit more fun. After all Cardio is a workout for your heart. No matter how much we HATE it (cause I DO) it is important
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I used to hate cardio. I'm very strong and love weights! But I l;ove Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred ( once I could cope with the jacks , 6 days!) and zumba is wonderful! I can feel my lower abs and saddlebags after every workout. And it's FUN!