Ladies: Hair and Nails

Options
lil_missfit
lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
Hello ladies,

I seem to be in a hair and nail funk since I have been working out this time around. I have been working out 5-6 days a week since February. I have also increased my water intake from 80oz. of water a day to a little over a gallon.

Now, I am experiencing a totally new thing from my previous weight loss attempts.....monsterous SWEATING!!!! My body and my hair is sopping wet!!! I would sweat in the past, but this is different.

Anyway, now my hair is drenched. When I blow dry it out....it is like a dessert (all a new one for me). My hair has been terrible since February and is getting more and more dry and hard to manage. I am a bit of a priss and can not tolerate horrible hair. I wouldn't even participate in gym class because I was NOT messing up my hair.

I am African American and I can tell you most "sistas" I know will not sweat out a relaxer or "do".....just saying.

Can working out-- dry out your hair??? What can I do to prevent finally losing all this weight and not ending up with a head that looks like a brillo pad???? I am frankly ready to go G.I. Jane and shave it off....

Same with my nails......they are super brittle. They break so easy now and are dry as well.

Is this linked to diet/exercise???

Does anyone use a different hair product/nail product now that they are working out, that is different than you used before???

Replies

• brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the hair, but Sally Hansen makes a great nail strengthener.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    have you tried dry shampoo? it goes on kinda like hairspray and soaks all the extra sweat up, even baby powder will do! i like to use it post work out to try to save my blow out. I am not african-american, but i am Sicilian... and I do have really dry curly hair too! i hope that helps a little bit...
    my nails get dry too, sometimes that can be a sign of not enough iron or protein... i like to use massage oil with vitamin e or argan oil to rub into my nails to help them a bit
  • katie9730
    katie9730 Posts: 24
    Options
    Your hair is probably dried out from blow drying it - it can very damaging. Straightening your hair causes even more damage. As for the nails, it may be a sign that you're lacking nutrition - vitamin C, calcium, folic acid, protein, iron and fat.
  • patriciadunn
    patriciadunn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have had similar problems with my nails and have been told to take vitamin B complex. I have really fine hair that drys out easily so I have been using a shampoo for fine hair and I put leave in conditioner or some type of moisturizer before blow drying my hair. Hopefully this helps.
  • simplexserenity
    simplexserenity Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When I lost my first 40 pounds I had a REALLY tough time in the hair department. My hair literally started falling out in the shower & I freaked out. I never had a problem with it drying out, however, so this may not apply to you but I went straight to a Health Food store in my town and purchased Biotin. It's a Vitamin that is excellent for hair growth and strengthening. I also started using Mane N Tail Shampoo & Conditioner to replenish my hair. Have you talked to your stylist about this? She/he might be able to make some suggestions. If not I'd try a Health Food store & see what kind of vitamins you could possibly take. We tend to lose a lot of nutrients by eating fewer calories and working out so often, so various vitamins can help replace what we lose. I hope this helps a little!
  • hmschultz
    hmschultz Posts: 32
    Options
    Have you dropped your calcium intake? Could be a sign that you are missing something important in your diet. I work out 6 days a week for 1 hr and drink about 12 8oz glasses or more per day. I haven't had problems with my hair or nails, but I do take a multi-vitamin everyday as well.
  • kristie778
    Options
    When you lose large amounts of weight (congrats on the 20 lbs lost!!), an unfortunate side effect is hair LOSS, so I imagine this could translate to lower quality of hair. Even though losing weight to get to a healthy weight is a great and healthy thing, it is a major stress to your body, so to protect itself, the body cuts down on "non-essential services" so to speak. I think that would probably explain your situation. But it will resolve when your weight stabilizes. It's a small price to pay!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Omega 3-6-9
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Are you washing and conditioning your hair after working out or just drying it...just drying it is leaving the salt from sweating in your hair. Washing and drying it every day will dry it out too, treat your hair to some hot oil treatment (check that you can use the product with a relaxer first tho)

As for your nails...don't strengthen then if theyre already brittle, more likely to break them. You're losing oil from your nail plate. Cuticle oil, liquid parafin from a chemists, rub a drop in to your cuticle and nail plate whenever you remember and particularly after your hands have been wet. You will see the difference very soon
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Girl I had the same problem, my hair would be a mess after i work out. So now I've been rocking some braids for a while. First I had tree braids and now I have kinky twist but I will be taking them out in the next month and don't know what to do with it. I'm looking forward to the suggestions you get.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I seem to be in a hair and nail funk since I have been working out this time around. I have been working out 5-6 days a week since February. I have also increased my water intake from 80oz. of water a day to a little over a gallon.

Now, I am experiencing a totally new thing from my previous weight loss attempts.....monsterous SWEATING!!!! My body and my hair is sopping wet!!! I would sweat in the past, but this is different.

Anyway, now my hair is drenched. When I blow dry it out....it is like a dessert (all a new one for me). My hair has been terrible since February and is getting more and more dry and hard to manage. I am a bit of a priss and can not tolerate horrible hair. I wouldn't even participate in gym class because I was NOT messing up my hair.

I am African American and I can tell you most "sistas" I know will not sweat out a relaxer or "do".....just saying.

Can working out-- dry out your hair??? What can I do to prevent finally losing all this weight and not ending up with a head that looks like a brillo pad???? I am frankly ready to go G.I. Jane and shave it off....

Same with my nails......they are super brittle. They break so easy now and are dry as well.

Is this linked to diet/exercise???

Does anyone use a different hair product/nail product now that they are working out, that is different than you used before???

That sucks! Can't help ya with the hair, as mine is always so oily! :sick: But I definitely know what you mean about nails! Mine used to be so healthy and strong. Now they are constantly peeling or breaking! It's SO annoying!!! I don't know what we can do besides put on cuticle oil and nail strengthener polish.
  • 143sunflower
    Options
    As an AA woman I feel you...I wrap my hair and put a bandana on....if you have to wash and blow dry daily CHI products are great...there are silk strands in it and it leaves your hair silky....they have it in shampoo...oil (very light) and sheen (again very light)...I love it...JC penny's salon sales it .....
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Biotin
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    all very helpful thank you:)) I will add it vitamin B complex, folic acid, and perhaps more calcium. I don't know about the iron (causes "restroom" problems, though I may be anemic so I need to look into something). I am lactose intolerant so I may be lacking some vitamins...i.e. calcium. Also the argan oil sounds good. I have some for my hair but I will use it on my nails and also go pick up vitamin E....thanks!!!

I try only to blow dry once or twice a week. I only wash my hair once per week, but bc of the extra moisture it's always wet.....this has never been a problem before, which is why I have asked....no one else I know workouts as much as I do.....or works out at all for that matter.

Thanks ladies!!!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've often heard about the importance of healthy fats in the diet...from nuts and fish...or you could supplement. You need omega fatty acids, especially when you diet because your fat intake goes down. One thing that I personally found helpful was supplementing with silica. It really made my hair and nail silky and strong when I was having a problem with brittle dry hair and nails.
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    As an AA woman I feel you...I wrap my hair and put a bandana on....if you have to wash and blow dry daily CHI products are great...there are silk strands in it and it leaves your hair silky....they have it in shampoo...oil (very light) and sheen (again very light)...I love it...JC penny's salon sales it .....

I'll check that out:)) thanks:)) I intially didnt work out wit my hair wrapped because when I unwrapped it---it was SOAKED!!! When I worked out with it in a pony tail it stayed dry and I could just let it fall....now....nope.....it looks like I just got out of the shower and have washed my hair.....arrrrg!!!! drives me NUTS!!!:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    When I lost my first 40 pounds I had a REALLY tough time in the hair department. My hair literally started falling out in the shower & I freaked out. I never had a problem with it drying out, however, so this may not apply to you but I went straight to a Health Food store in my town and purchased Biotin. It's a Vitamin that is excellent for hair growth and strengthening. I also started using Mane N Tail Shampoo & Conditioner to replenish my hair. Have you talked to your stylist about this? She/he might be able to make some suggestions. If not I'd try a Health Food store & see what kind of vitamins you could possibly take. We tend to lose a lot of nutrients by eating fewer calories and working out so often, so various vitamins can help replace what we lose. I hope this helps a little!
    [/quote

Oh girl:)) You have taken me back about 15 years with Mane N Tail:)) I forgot all about that stuff. My grandmother bought that for me when I was a teenager:)) Thanks!!! Biotin sounds wonderful as well:))....sheesh!!! I have a lot of vitamin shopping to do:))oh btw---I have noticed that my hair is falling out too....makes me sad:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but I take a prenatal vitamin everyday even though I am done having kids. It's a great vitamin and helps with hair and nails!!! I have never been able to grow my nails because they always break off and are britle but when I take a prenatal vitamin my hair, nails, and skin are soo much healthier!!
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    you all are the BOMB:love::love:

Thanks!!!
  • mbalaguer1
    Options
    I started taking prenatal vitamins cuz I remember when I was pregnant with my son my hair and nails were long and in great condition. Def works for me.