Best Running Shoes -- what are yours?

Options
I keep seeing these ads for new shoes that have weird toe dividers in them, so I did some research and it turns out they're not actually very good for you!! But they're the latest-greatest thing at my local "expert" running store, which doesn't give me much confidence in their ability to properly research and recommend shoes. So I am asking for your expertise-- what are the best running shoes out there?!?

Replies

• rainbow_dawn1990
    Options
    My foot doctor reccommended New bounds or Asics for me because I have hyperpronation of the sinus tarus(were ur ankle bend inward) Anyways I run and exersise in my asics sooo comfortable and I hardly say that about shoes and they come and awsome colors I got florecent orange pair and a lime green pair!
  • squimother1
    squimother1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    slazengers
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11's... was professionally fit for them and they are perfect for me. I think the key isn't the fad, but the fit for your foot. Get it checked out! If they are right for you, go for it! If they are the "barefoot" shoes, be careful, it takes some getting used to as your entire stride will be different. Ask the pros... they know what they are talking about, IMO.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just got some reebok zigs and I love them. They're much lighter than my new balance running shoes and helped me shave a chunk of time off my mile.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Everyone pounds the pavement differently. Find a good shoe store who will sell YOU what YOU are comfortable in.

Personally I like my Nike Air Vomeros, or Nike Air Citius or Brooks Beast.
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    Agreed! I'm not down with the barefoot thing! I wish there were more than just one running store in my town-- where do I get fitted for shoes when I don't trust my local shop?
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike's, but I have no idea what kind.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    If you don't trust your local shop, you may have to go elsewhere. I live an hour from any running shop and it took me a while to figure out which running stores were the best in the city since I am not there much, don't know runners in that city, etc.

My fave running shoes are Asics. My running store is pretty small but they fit me perfectly! No more shin splints after they put me in the right shoes =)
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics, I also have a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers. I wear them for shorter runs and other workouts. They are great.

You should get fitted properly at a running store and go from there.

Everyone has different opinions and advice not all of it is correct or right for everyone.

Karen
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Agree with the advice to find a good running shoe store to get fitted properly. The ONLY thing that matters is that the shoe you get is right for YOU. What works for someone else, can be devastating to you. Don't give up on the professional fitting approach. That's truly the way to go. My running shoe store is 1.5 hours away (each way). Certainly worth the drive, considering how many miles I put in my shoes and my number one objective is to stay healthy and to be able to run for as many years as is possible.

Good luck!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11's... was professionally fit for them and they are perfect for me. I think the key isn't the fad, but the fit for your foot. Get it checked out! If they are right for you, go for it! If they are the "barefoot" shoes, be careful, it takes some getting used to as your entire stride will be different. Ask the pros... they know what they are talking about, IMO.

I have the same shoes. The advice that was given to me by a runner I work with was, "try on several, then try on several more. If your salesperson isn't irritated, you probably haven't tried on enough. Let your feet tell you which shoes to get."
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I had my gait checked at a running store & I chose Mizuno my feet and knees have been grateful
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    I keep seeing these ads for new shoes that have weird toe dividers in them, so I did some research and it turns out they're not actually very good for you!!

Care to elaborate?
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am mid 350's, I love these Asics (Gel-pheonix) They are great, super light and I have been on the treadmill so much more now!!
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    The advice that was given to me by a runner I work with was, "try on several, then try on several more. If your salesperson isn't irritated, you probably haven't tried on enough. Let your feet tell you which shoes to get."

LOL! Note to self: irritate salesperson...
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I keep seeing these ads for new shoes that have weird toe dividers in them, so I did some research and it turns out they're not actually very good for you!! But they're the latest-greatest thing at my local "expert" running store, which doesn't give me much confidence in their ability to properly research and recommend shoes. So I am asking for your expertise-- what are the best running shoes out there?!?

Just because "you" aren't into the barefoot thing, doesn't mean you shouldn't trust your running store! I get really annoyed with running stores that don't sell Vibrams or other minimal shoes. They need to cater to all people. I wear VFF's for shorter runs and a minimal slightly cushioned shoe for longer runs. Everyone prefers their own thing. Go into the store and try on everything. If it's a good store, they will let you run in the parking lot to feel them.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    NB
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The advice that was given to me by a runner I work with was, "try on several, then try on several more. If your salesperson isn't irritated, you probably haven't tried on enough. Let your feet tell you which shoes to get."

LOL! Note to self: irritate salesperson...

Addendum : Irritate Multiple Salespeople... Your feet are usually right.
  • superstarcola
    Options
    I use Adidas Superglides for my indoor running, and Nike ones for my outdoor. Both pairs I was fitted for at a running store.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of filas and so far they feel great