Just for Today

Options
I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 20 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, i find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.
Edited by CricketKate on Thu 01/13/11 08:09 AM

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will remember that if I'm not ready to start "Today" then "Tomorrow" is not likely to change things.:blushing:
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is a great Mantra..it is also used in OA (Over Eaters Anonymous) as well as part of their 12 steps.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. A great think to read first thing in the morning

Have a great day
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thats right. You don't get back on the wagon tomorrow. You get right back on NOW! Before the wagon gets too far down the road!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I will stay focused.
  • andreapbaker
    Options
    LOVE IT!!!!!!! I apply this mantra is several other areas of my life, will have to try this out related to food.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm contemplating a really unhealthy choice I always tell myself that I can have it tomorrow. Of course, by tomorrow I don't really want it. Or if I do still want it, I can usually fool myself into believing the same 'you can have it tomorrow' lie. (What can I say, I'm gullible...) :smile:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Very well said....well typed. You are taking control.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today, I will stay focused.

I'm glad you're here! The other thread was getting a little lengthy, so I started a new one.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Thanks, Everyone, for your comments.
  • Linda4859
    Linda4859 Posts: 78
    Options
    Very inspiring huney. xx
  • patattheshire
    patattheshire Posts: 123 Member
    Options
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Well said Kate. You always say what I need to hear and apply to myself. Thanks.
  • swissmardi
    swissmardi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What I also love is that "today", meaning 24 hours, can start any time. If I am on a binge, I can chose to begin my day (the next 24 hours) again when I stop. Tomorrow is just too far away...
  • DorothyNorrington
    DorothyNorrington Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will count my calories and make my calories count. No empty cals for me today.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will avoid "invisible calories". Invisible calories are innocent calories that sneak in without me being aware of them: Sampling dinner while I cook, finishing the crust off of my child's sandwich, licking the peanut butter off of the knife, etc.....
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Some days even "just for today" is too much for me. Those are the times that I focus on one hour at a time. Or one minute at a time if I have to. As long as I don't eat junk right now, I am okay. Can't worry about tomorrow.
    thanks for posting this!
  • chera325
    chera325 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You described me to a T!!! If I slip once during the day, I decide that the whole day is ruined so I might as well just wait until tomorrow to start over again. I can't even count the number of times I have done this. And like you, I too wonder if I'll be able to keep this good habits for the rest of my life. The thought of forever cutting out my grandfather's home-made Italian cooking makes me want to cry!

You're right; focusing on today is a FABULOUS idea. I think I'll try it out :)